Author Topic: Birmingham's Architecture Today  (Read 10915 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham's Architecture Today
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
John

I agree but I'm sorry I haven't a clue. I took a peek on Google and it's the first time I have seen it. It looks like a shed to me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:14 AM »
I notice wood paneling used everywhere now and after a short while it goes gray and patchy and looks terrible.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
Muntz Street looks like the Beverly hillbillies treehouse, is that a temporary structure ?

It's the new extension to Somerville Road School.        Permanent, as far as I'm aware.

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

pickard.r

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:26 AM »
The Worc's edifice looks loke a school project for 5 year olds, given cardboard and sticky tape etc.
Steve

That's exactly what I thought...Looks similar to a Blue Peter Project.

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

john2000

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Phil, Muntz Street looks like the Beverly hillbillies treehouse, is that a temporary structure ?

What on earth is it supposed tobe,? I lived right on the corner of Muntz St and Somerville rd, hawkes st has long gone, and so has Charlies the fruit and veg shop, I lived just above the bookies ( Williams) and there was a garage almost on that corner too, in Somerville Rd on the left from Muntz St, the place has sure changed since the last time I was there..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »

What on earth is it supposed tobe,? I lived right on the corner of Muntz St and Somerville rd, hawkes st has long gone, and so has Charlies the fruit and veg shop, I lived just above the bookies ( Williams) and there was a garage almost on that corner too, in Somerville Rd on the left from Muntz St, the place has sure changed since the last time I was there..J2

John, although the front half of Hawkes Street has gone, the back half's still there behind the Community Centre, but all the old houses in it were demolished.          The Muntz Street shops went in the early-to-mid-70's.       Charlie never lived to see this: a few years before, he'd been mugged for his takings in (I think) Swanage Road and had to pack the business up.        He died not long afterwards.

As for what the eyesore's supposed to be, who cares?     The school's 100% Muslim now, so it's all 'the will of Allah'.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
Phil, I think I sat around that fountain once on one of my rare trips to Brum. Is that where they were displaying a boat at one time that a young woman had sailed around the world?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
I think there was a yacht on display belonging to one of the round the world lone yachtswoman at some time or other. It would have been in Victoria Square or Chamberlain Square.

The thing I remember most about that fountain was new years eve's in the early 60's. We always ended up in the fountain celebrating the new year. That was until they started boarding it up every year.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »

John, although the front half of Hawkes Street has gone, the back half's still there behind the Community Centre, but all the old houses in it were demolished.          The Muntz Street shops went in the early-to-mid-70's.       Charlie never lived to see this: a few years before, he'd been mugged for his takings in (I think) Swanage Road and had to pack the business up.        He died not long afterwards.

As for what the eyesore's supposed to be, who cares?     The school's 100% Muslim now, so it's all 'the will of Allah'.

Oh, I'm so sad about Charlie, he was a nice guy I liked him very much, he also had a mate called Harry who helped him Friday evening and all day Saterday,mind you it was always busy, , what happened to him,? do you know, ? the last I heard was Harry had moved to Northfield or somewhere like that ..John
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
Hi

This is part of the thread from "Streets of the City" If you want to add to the discussion in photo or text, then please do it here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »
John,
      did you know that the Williams family ran their bookies shop from their home in Ravenhurst Street, (before it was lagalised) their runners would stand outside the Ship.on Camp Hill and The Rose Tavern,Henley Street.Their first legal  shop 1961 was at Sandy Lane,next to the cafe.
Muntz Street was the home of Birmingham City Football Club,(1877) before St Andrews. O0
I reckon that you may have already known that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy