Author Topic: Birmingham's Architecture Today  (Read 10920 times)

jaykay

Re: Birmingham's Architecture Today
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
The girl who sailed around the world was LISA CLAYTON,I did the banners and signage for her and have a photo somewhere of my grandson at the helm of the yacht

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 12:27:32 PM »
Some love it, some hate it. I think this may be the building that started all the weird architecture in Birmingham. In my personal opinion I think it is rubbish, but as I never tire of saying. These buildings were not designed with my age group in mind.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jaykay

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Phil, I wonder what it will be like when this building is classed as old fashioned.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
John

I don't think you and I will have to worry about that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
Saw this monstrosity the other day a new car park on Eastside.Dek

pickard.r

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
Hi

This is part of the thread from "Streets of the City" If you want to add to the discussion in photo or text, then please do it here.

Phil

Glad you explained that Phil.....Thought I was going [censored] :D
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Hi Bobby

As what being said here wasn't a lot to do with the streets of the town centre, I decided to separate it on to its own thread. It makes both threads easier to follow.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 06:53:04 PM »

Oh, I'm so sad about Charlie, he was a nice guy I liked him very much, he also had a mate called Harry who helped him Friday evening and all day Saterday,mind you it was always busy, , what happened to him,? do you know, ? the last I heard was Harry had moved to Northfield or somewhere like that ..John

Dunno about Harry, John, I only just about remember him.

I don't recall any of the Muntz Street businesses starting up again elsewhere after the Community Centre was built.

I quite like 70's architecture and reckoned the Community Centre looked pretty good when built.       The greenery that's grown up around it since adds the final touch.       And having the eyesore opposite to compare it with makes it look a million times better still!   :)

There used to be a swimming baths (the replacement for Green Lane Baths) on the corner of Muntz Street and Baker Street, and it was glazed in such a way that the pool area was fully visible from the street.        The windows have now been covered over (a Muslim decency thing?) and this detracts from the designer's intention.   :(       
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

JudithM

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
I thought the title of this thread was interesting & still very appropriate all these years since it was started.

Since then the new library has been around for a good few years & some of the other 'new' buildings - such as Selfridge's - have weathered in a bit.

Have they stood the test of time? 

What are the thoughts on the current batch of new Architecture, such as the Primark building, The Cube, and the new buildings going up where the Central Library used to stand?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy