Author Topic: Pictures of Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road  (Read 9005 times)

matt94

Pictures of Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for photographs of the old houses on Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road before it was all demolished. My great-grandfather was born in 1886 in 1 Court, 6 Hope Street. They lived there until the late 1880s when they moved to Back 169 Balsall Heath Road. Later they moved to 250 Balsall Heath Road and later 242 Balsall Heath Road where they lived until the death of my gg grandmother in 1942 in Birch Road, Oldbury. I would be very much interested in any photographs of Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road.

My gg grandfather's sister also lived at 2/167 Balsall Heath Road in 1911ish, and my gg grandmother's brother lived at 2, Nile Terrace, Bellbarn Road, Edgbaston until his death.

Attached is a photo of my gt gt grandparents, presumably when they lived at 242 Balsall Heath Road and probably taken in the court or garden there. 243 Balsall Heath Road was also variously used by members of the family, so it could have been taken there.

Any help would be fantastic
Matt :)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Pictures of Hope Street and Balsall Heath Road
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find many photos of Balsall Heath Rd & Hope Street exist on this forum already. If you just enter the names of the roads in the search box you should find them.

I can't remember if I posted the ones of Bell Barn Rd that I have so I will post those here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wam

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
Sorry I can't actually post these pictures here since they belong to the people I work for but I figure the links are the next best thing.

94-96 Balsall Heath Road from 1972 http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=&records=&direction=&pointer=2023&text=0&resource=10876

More Balsall Heath Road from 1972 http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=2&records=80&direction=1&pointer=2130&text=0&resource=10304

BH Road 1941 after bombing
http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=2&records=80&direction=1&pointer=2130&text=0&resource=10997

and
http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=2&records=80&direction=1&pointer=2130&text=0&resource=10947

Some things we were given as part of a story
http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=2&records=80&direction=1&pointer=2130&text=0&resource=10971

http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=3&records=80&direction=1&pointer=3429&text=0&resource=9964

http://www.search.digitalbalsallheath.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=balsall+heath+road&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault_hndlr%2Easp&page=3&records=80&direction=1&pointer=3429&text=0&resource=10303

bookworm

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
Hello, my heart missed a beat when i saw your picture of your branch of the Banks family, I thought my quest for photographs was at an end, sadly, it seems not so. Its not often I hear or see the name banks anywhere and its not for the want of trying. My Banks' hailed from Highgate Street and Perry Common, so although somewhere in the mists of time I suppose all Banks' are related, it looks like I'll still be looking for photographs of my lot for many years to come. Nice picture by the way.

trapio

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
Welcome back bookworm - I haven't seen a post of yours for a couple of years - how are you doing?

trapio - fomerly tramp
Integrity is non negotiable

bookworm

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
Hello again, thanks for the welcome back Tramp (why the change?) been soooo caught up with life (you know how it is!) but I'm back now and trying to catch up with all the postings. Gosh, I never realised I had been away so long! Looks like there has been much chat about so many things, so I'm dipping in and out and picking a few at a time. And all the new photo's, well, where do I start? I'm going to be busy, busy I think! x

trapio

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
Hi Bookworm,

I did't want tramp to reach 20,000 posts - he'd had over 5,000 before, and was on 19,7** so I spoke with Roy  - I didn't want tramp to become a blank 'dead guest', (thus difficult to access) and he very kindly sealed posting access to tramp - I wanted to keep as many letters of tramp and trapio is a nickname, 'Don Trapio' that women at my best client gave me years ago  - they know I do not wear brands or 'de moda' combinations or ties but they (apparently) see me as 'elegant and charming' the local LatAm meaning of trapio - with the aside (in memory of tramp) that trapo, ithout the accented 'i' means 'rag'!

So what have you been up to all this time?

trapio

bookworm

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
Hi Trapio, I've been up to nothing, its everyone else! (Isn't it always?) Close family loss, pet loss, family illness, the usual nasties that life throws your way and somehow you get through it and come out the other side almost human again. But, that was yesterday and this is today and lets see what's around the corner, I'll be waiting. As they say in these modern times 'bring it on'
Apart from that, life is good right now, my pc is up and running after have its own little tantrums, the weather is looking hopefull, I'm fit and healthy and my marbles are still all in one place for now and I'm back on the Forum so, I'm a happy Bunny!
What about you? Anything exciting (good exciting!) going on with you? x

bookworm

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »
Time for my shower now, will be back soon x

trapio

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
Hi Bookworm,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a testing time with so many painful events running so close together. Now you have time to adjust and readjust at your own pace...'co-her lay suave' anglicised pronunciation of take it easier (meaning in the way you find that you want to take it).

Just had a shower too after a 'fast walk' in the park next door', so feel as alert as I'm likely to at 6 p.m....on a Saturday evening...about another hour of daylight to come O0

trapio

woolybags

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
hi i believe  someone was asking about the castaways well i was manageress of the bar it was owned by Mike Reed i used to be ass manageress at the ABC Bristol CINEMA  THAT CHANGED TO ABC 123 hope that helps i also cut my leg badly on Christmas eve when Matt Monroe was on stage Mike took me to accident hospital and when Dr asked me to take my coat off to go into theatre he nearly died of shock i told him it was my uniform tiny bikini top and tiny skirt he gave me twelve stitches and said he did them very fine hardly a scar when healed xx

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy