Author Topic: Lewis's in Birmingham  (Read 33456 times)

Scipio

Re: Lewis's in Birmingham
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »
True. I guess time is money.  By scanning the items and it automatically adding up lessens the time for each customer at the tills so they are paying the shop assistants for 'clearing' more customers than they used to.  I don't know whether it's still true, but ALDI used to penalise staff if they didn't get the customers through in a certain amount of time.  I guess the faster they can get people through the tills the fewer tills they have to open (and therefore pay staff to man) as the queues don't build up so much.

Judith I read somewhere Aldi's requirement was 45 seconds per customer at the checkout

Peg Monkey

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
Back on topic! - Tower lights, do you remember them? Lewis's had one above their elevators, a way of alerting senior staff that they were wanted before the days of pagers and mobiles, large factories also used them, in fact any large organisation whose workforce was mobile found them useful.
Here's the brain teaser - The lights were used in combinations of steady and flashing - the common number of colours in a tower was 4, steady and  flashing gave numerous combinations - so how many from 4 colours? Here's a clue: 1 colour gives you 2 combinations (steady and flashing) but with just 1 more colour you jump to 8....... :-\ :-\ :-\
Peg.
P.S. Have I got the number of floors correct? Basement, Lower Ground, Ground and 1-5? (+ the roof).

Peg Monkey

« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
50s Lewis's  - No Christmas was complete without a visit to Santa's Grotto......
Peg.
 :) :) :)