Author Topic: Lewis's in Birmingham  (Read 37763 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Lewis's in Birmingham
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
Hi Peg- nevermind the good smells from the Food Hall- one day a week the Employees Canteen had stuffed Sheeps Hearts- still remember them today! Never had  them before or since, nor even seen them on a menu! As for the lights- Our Stud Duck John Harwood had a two-colour code, but it stopped I believe at Assistment Mgrs.

Do you know wot Baz? That's a delicacy that's passed me by - can't help feeling it would have limited appeal now, I'll take your word for it that it tasted good  :-\
Peg.
P.S. Sounds like it might be right up there with pig's feet.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
Hi Ya peg and brummie,it was the same when I worked at Marsh & Baxters in Dale End.The different smells .The Boiled hams the Pork Pies the Black Pudding  and the Bacon Smoking,such delite.
Hi Ed, you never said if you had tried stuffed sheep's heart?
Peg.
P.S. Steady Eddie we might be going off-topic. :-[

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Peg,only did pork at M&CB,that's why I like Pigs tail stew

Peg Monkey

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »
Employee 15614 Reporting for Duty....Furniture Dep't 4th Floor. Great memories of Lewis's; all of them good. Worked in the Furniture Department 1959-1961....
Baz - this is after your time but you may remember the range, I can't recall if it was Lewis's own brand - My mom was delighted with her purchase of a bedroom suite from Lewis's in 1964, it provided good service until her death 40 years later in 2004 when I disposed of it to a second hand dealer in Erdington High St. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
Old Square. Do you ever look at a photo and wonder why it was taken? My theory about the one below is that it was a grab shot taken through the open window from the upper deck of a double decker bus, maybe the photographer had finished his session in the city and was on his way home - anyway, the shot wasn't dated but an educated guess is late 50's (there is an Austing A35 in shot which was produced from 1956).
Not much of a view of Lewis's (top left) but it looks like there was a sale or a special promotion in force judging by the window banner.
Peg.
P.S. There is another car recognisable: A Ford Prefect 100E mid upper frame turning left in front of the lorry, produced from 1953.

JudithM

« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Old Square. Do you ever look at a photo and wonder why it was taken? My theory about the one below is that it was a grab shot taken through the open window from the upper deck of a double decker bus, maybe the photographer had finished his session in the city and was on his way home - anyway, the shot wasn't dated but an educated guess is late 50's (there is an Austing A35 in shot which was produced from 1956).
Not much of a view of Lewis's (top left) but it looks like there was a sale or a special promotion in force judging by the window banner.
Peg.
P.S. There is another car recognisable: A Ford Prefect 100E mid upper frame turning left in front of the lorry, produced from 1953.

It's a great picture regardless of why it was taken  :)

One of my friend's first cars was a Ford Prefect.  She bought it off an elderly friend of the family. 
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"