Author Topic: Lewis's in Birmingham  (Read 62020 times)

Mogmeister

Lewis's in Birmingham
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
Does anyone remember the old Lewis's in Brum , especially the gardens that were on the roof , i always my dad taking me there . Dont know if you would get me up there now because im frightened of heights .

Mogmeister.

buster

Re: Lewis's in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »
I remember it well and also so going to see Father Christmas and all the toys we could not afford.The big train lay out you would watch them going round.

Angela K

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
I loved the whole store but my favourite part was the food hall - all those wonderful sights and smells.
Life is for living...and laughing!

planetmalc

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
And their zoo, which was closed down after a customer died from a creature-bite.   :-\ 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
I remember Lewis's well, who can forget the escalators (moving stairs as we knew them) They must have been the first department store in Birmingham to have them.

Then Father Christmas and his helper Mt Holly who visited every year. What about that fabulous roof garden where you could look our over the city, look at some caged animals and have a drive on the road circuit that was laid out on occasions. Or you could ride a horse or drive a car while having your hair cut.

Yes all these wonders were great in our early years, but for us young lads in our teens the best off all was chatting to those young girl shop assistants, especially those from Miss Selfridge's when it opened in the store.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
My mother worked as a waitress at Lewis's (Saturdays only) for years.

The only thing I remember about the store was at Easter they would have little chicks running around, which seems very cruel now when I think of it.

So is the store demolished now?

Mogmeister

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
Anne ,

No the building is still there but some of the ground floor is a pub called The Square Peg , and some of the other levels are a law court , i dont know about the rest of the building .

Mogmeister.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
MM, cheers for the info.

Pamela

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »
I think everyone of a certain age remembers Lewis's with the escalators and lifts.I remember those cars on the roof in Phils picture,I wanted a ride  in one but my mom said they were only for boys. I still have some blankets that my mom bought  fron there about 1950

Gee Gee

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:58:29 PM »
Walking around Lewis's with no money in your pockets.Just staring at the sweets and cakes on display.Talk about temptation,I would gaze with open mouth.
The store detective following you around as though he could read your mind and watched your every move.
We had to split up and go in diffirent directions,knowing that he could not watch us all.Not as though we would not have taken anything mind you. ::)

Angela K

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
One of my brothers worked there as a Saturday boy and used to take my friend and I up on the roof at lunchtime for a sandwich and a cigarette.
Life is for living...and laughing!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy