Author Topic: "Me no understand"  (Read 19114 times)

Angela K

Re: "Me no understand"
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 02:38:40 AM »

"Me no understand" is a phrase often heard by Birmingham Police when arresting immigrants or foreign visitors. They think by saying that they don't understand English excuses them for not understanding the law when they break it.

To paraphrase the above quote:

"Me no understand" is a phrase often heard by foreign police when arresting British people abroad. They think by saying they only speak English it excuses them for not understanding the law when they break it.

Football hooligans, drug smugglers, thiefs, rapists, con men - I wonder if a criminal from Britain asks for an interpreter or waives their right to due process when they commit crimes elsewhere?
Life is for living...and laughing!

john2000

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »

John, you've cut and pasted a lot of comments from a discussion I was having with Phil. I don't have the time or inclination to respond as you posted things out of context, but, I have to ask, what do you care? You don't live in America and what we do or don't do with our immigrants is our concern only.
I'm so sorry about the interruption when you where having a discussion with Phil, but being it is a free board .. maybe next time you should use the PM which is provided that way no one can interupt....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

maggie

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »
The way each and every Country runs its affairs is
to a certain degree their business, BUT sometimes others
have to comment .. I am sure things happens here in NZ
that some dont like  however thats up to them 
Personally I think if something is being discussed on a Forum its open slather and anyone can join in otherwise
how do you get different views............
do unto others as you would be done by

trapio

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi Jacqueline,

As Phil and most of say ''the law is an ass''.

This mental mania for a ''Qualification'' is utter madness in most cases.  Common sense dictates that she need only take the final exam to be accepted with open arms as she cost the twits nowt to train...and ALREADY has years of proven experience

I interpret English / Spanish and I do not want the bit of paper as I could then not easily refuse govt work....and they are said to be comparatively slow payers... all the red tape.

I only do it with companies that I already know and enjoy working with....and I get a free ride here and there. O0

jamie
Integrity is non negotiable

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
I'm so sorry about the interruption when you where having a discussion with Phil, but being it is a free board .. maybe next time you should use the PM which is provided that way no one can interupt....J2

Again, you are twisting my words and distorting what I said. Nowhere in my post did I ask you not to interrupt. Please don't invent things. It's not the first time you have done this.

trapio

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
A0S,

If you had sent your above post to John by PM, that would have been appropriate, and private....you have often given an unfriendly impression, almost ''school marm corrective'', and this must be intentional as you repeatedly do so as if to publicise the aforesaid impression. 

Topics that are on open forum may be freely discussed by any members - that is another reason for the PM facility.

trapio

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 10:55:46 PM »
A0S,

If you had sent your above post to John by PM, that would have been appropriate, and private....you have often given an unfriendly impression, almost ''school marm corrective'', and this must be intentional as you repeatedly do so as if to publicise the aforesaid impression. 

Topics that are on open forum may be freely discussed by any members - that is another reason for the PM facility.

trapio

And they made you a moderator when?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »
Anne

Any member is entitled to say whatever they wish on any thread, as long as it is confined by the rules of the forum. If one member wants to point out when they think another is in error (as you often do) then this does not make them a moderator.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jonah

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
Brummies don;t speak to much about much outside of town and when in startford for example the liers that exist there say or perhaps mention to say, they never understand the brummies, [censored] i reckon that's there way of saying the brummies know all about warickshire and stratford and are scared to let others outside their little [censored] bubble about waht's going on. Strung up monkeys. :)

Brummies that go out stratford for a drink often keep themselves to them selves and then the starts mnention that they are not understood, Thgis means nothing to me, I know both ettiquite, Smeely people :)

trapio

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
A0S,

If you are able to decently rephrase your question, I may answer. As an aid, may I recommend to you the best English Grammar book I've come across:

UNDERSTANDING AND USING ENGLISH GRAMMAR by Betty Schrampfer Azar, it is widely available in US.

The Admin, Roy and Phil have known  for some time that other interests & commitments, plus the time zone difference preclude me from having the time to be a mod

Jonah

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
I'll excuse that as the English language is not the best then?  I agree with your comment to some somewhat. Ettiquitte can be annoying sometimes and by some members of the public or governement and higher graduates the words and accent used can be menacing, it has nothing to do with grammar unless your counting the fact that present, past and future are the grammatical rules to progress. there is presnt perfect taught at biolingual level which assist students to think at the time of the time they need to think and then there is present continuous, a grammatical term for speaking onwards but does this ever stop as sentence, of course, we the future a normal method of thinking forward but remember the continuous at the present time must not progress into that sentence as far as a story, text ect is written or not.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy