Author Topic: "Me no understand"  (Read 19131 times)

Jeff

Re: "Me no understand"
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »

Jeff

Your post was removed because you told Jonah to ignore the advice I had given him that would make his post more acceptable to the members that had complained.

That is not the case Phil.
My post to Jonah was to state that spelling/grammar or the ability to understand a post has never been a prerequisite of this forum and was made as encouragement to a new member for his continuance.
It does not contradict your directive to him and is consistant with your and other moderator's posts regarding the colloquial usage of English.

john2000

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »

Best to let it go, it's been said so now lets forget it, and move on, . and Have a nice day..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »
Jeff

So you didn't say this "You just carry on in your unique way" in effect telling Jonah to ignore me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jeff

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
Jeff

So you didn't say this "You just carry on in your unique way" in effect telling Jonah to ignore me.

Phil

Yes, Phil I did indeed say as encouragement to Jonah that he "should carry on in his unique way." He has the same rights as anyone else to post and not to be discouraged because of the inability of some to understand.
I, like others avoid comment to posts I find incomprehensible but defend their right to post such.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
Jeff

Then you will understand that others have a perfect right to object if they so wish to but they do it in accordance with forum rules by PM.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Angela K

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
A moderators right to act on complaints is not disputed but there doesn't appear to be a rule that says member's have to be interesting, witty and wise.  ;D

We all have opinions but we don't all share the same ones - that is part of what makes a forum like this interesting. When we express those opinions we mustn't lose sight of the fact that we are talking to other people and they deserve our respect. If we were all face to face surely we would show some good manners and allow for the differences in levels of eloquence or articulation.

I have never felt the need to make a formal complaint. If we are all honest, I am sure we have all come across posts that we thought were rude or boring, daft or just a waste of space. To suggest those people should not use the forum would be arrogant of me indeed. I am equally sure I have been guilty of at least some of those things, in somebody's opinion, in the comments I make.

Unless people are wholly, or deliberately, objectional shouldn't we just give them their chance to speak?
Life is for living...and laughing!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »
Angela

I agree with most of what you say, though I have to say the member wasn't censured in any way. He was just asked to try to make his posts a little more understandable. Not a unreasonable request I would think.

I think enough has been said on this matter, and although the theme of this discussion could be covered by the title of the thread lets try to return to the topic in question.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
I'm going to step in one this one  no one is saying he can not post in what way he feels fit but some member have said that they can not understand the point of his post or to coin a  Fraze whats he on about   on reading back at Phil's post he just pointed out that member did not understand his post none of his post was removed he is welcome to post

now the members that did not understand his posts sent there comments by pm not on open forum and all Phil did was to try and and sort it out

now if you  have a complaint there is two ways you can do it first by pm or by mode report not on open forum  and we both will do our best to sort it  i hope that this will put this matter to bed
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Angela K

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »

Jonah
 ...Unless you can put your posts into a form that we can all understand (plain English) then there is little point in you posting to the forum.

Phil.
As I am a woman, I am sure you will understand and forgive my need to have the last word!  ;D

Phil, I don't wish to be rude but next time you have to point something out like this to a member could you try to be a little gentler and not make it sound like they are being sent away?

More than enough said.

Angela K

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »
As our original theme was about foreigners and their lack (or not) of English, what is the general opinion of the recent story about doctors with a poor grasp of English being prevented from working for the NHS?

Excellent, I say, but why has it taken them this long to see what was common sense?

john2000

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »
As our original theme was about foreigners and their lack (or not) of English, what is the general opinion of the recent story about doctors with a poor grasp of English being prevented from working for the NHS?

Excellent, I say, but why has it taken them this long to see what was common sense?
Because it's the pounds, shillings and pence our beloved leaders see, I bet you wont see their family waiting in a long, long Que ( spelt wrong, )  to see a doctor,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy