Author Topic: "Me no understand"  (Read 19116 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
"Me no understand"
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:11:29 PM »

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2011/09/23/interpreters-earning-120-for-five-minutes-work-helping-police-97319-29471087/

"Me no understand" is a phrase often heard by Birmingham Police when arresting immigrants or foreign visitors. They think by saying that they don't understand English excuses them for not understanding the law when they break it.

Consequently it costs West Midlands Police a fortune in Interpreters, now the police have got to make savings this is one of the areas they are going to target. Already an outcry has started.

Why should we have to pay for interpreters, when most of the people being charged understand English perfectly, and if they can't if found guilty they should be made pay the interpreters fees.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

Re: "Me no understand"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
My car was broken into last July, with the stereo that was taken & the damage to glass & paintwork the total damages came to over £700..The police were really helpful & with the help of some D.N.A. samples taken from the passenger seat (there was a small amount of blood visible) they soon caught the guy responsible.
 He turned out to be a Lithuanian who apparently could not speak English so an interpreter was summoned (from Manchester) to sit in at the original interview where he was charged, he was also summoned to ALL following meetings with solicitors and his actual court case at £1000+ a time (I was told this figure by the arresting officer on the day I gave my statement...I was also told that there were other car break ins being taken into consideration)
After nearly 6 months he was ordered to pay the court £650 costs, £140 damages to me & £15 Victim Surcharge.

Needless to say I have not received a penny of the damages awarded to me.

Bobby

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Gee Gee

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
What ever happend to the Lawyers famous well known phrase;
"Ignorance can not be used as a form of defence"
A phrase that is often used in Health and safety cases?

Pamela

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
I bet they would understand the word  Deportation  if the police said it to them,anyone born in another country should be deported if they do anything wrong, 

pickard.r

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »
What ever happend to the Lawyers famous well known phrase;
"Ignorance can not be used as a form of defence"
A phrase that is often used in Health and safety cases?
They would play the "race card" as soon as anyone suggested such an attack on their human rights.
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Mogmeister

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
Phil
You are so right they should have to stand the cost of the interpreter themselves , and if found guilty deport them within 24 hours , not set free to disappear , but then again i suppose we musnt upset the illegeals and criminals to much , it might infringe on their Human Rights .

Mogmeister.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
most of the people being charged understand English perfectly

How do you know that?

anyone born in another country should be deported if they do anything wrong, 

Pam, rather draconian. Why should a non-native be forced to leave the country for doing something wrong whilst a native can stay? Besides which, it depends on how the immigrant entered the country. If he entered legally he cannot be summarily deported, but, rather, is entitled to due process.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Anne

I have watched news crews filming some of these people who claim not to understand English when they have come out of court laughing and joking in English.

Also foreign Nationals who have entered this country legally can be deported as can people who have not taken British citizenship and have retained their own Nationality. This is in fact done sometimes, but not often enough in my view.

I don't know if you realise but we have gangs of pickpockets, ATM riggers, and other thieves come to this country solely to commit crimes. Why should this country give them any thought at all, why should they cost taxpayers one penny. They would get the due process of the end of a boot as they left the country if I had my way.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »

Also foreign Nationals who have entered this country legally can be deported as can people who have not taken British citizenship and have retained their own Nationality.

I never said they could not be deported. If you read my post, you would see that I said they could not be summarily deported, that they are entitled to due process.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »
Anne

And you read what I said about due process for some of these scum that come to our country just to steal and cause misery. In my book they are entitled to nothing.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »
Anne

And you read what I said about due process for some of these scum that come to our country just to steal and cause misery. In my book they are entitled to nothing.

Phil

You've never been abroad, but imagine being denied due process in a foreign country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy