Author Topic: Sweets when you were a kid.  (Read 33700 times)

john2000

Re: Sweets when you were a kid.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 03:29:43 PM »
Hi AnnMarie, but you've put on a pound or so after eating all thoses sweets, when I was  little, my mom would give me  bread with suger on it, then I would go out side and sit on the step and eat it, that was my treat.... 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 09:43:21 PM »
JOHN 2000
REMEMBER SITTING ON THE DOORSTEP WITH RHUBARB & A BOWL OF SUGAR & DIPPING THE RHUBARB IN IT. NOW THAT WAS TREAT. BACK TO THOSE HAPPY DAYS IN SOME WAYS. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 10:26:05 PM »
John remember having bread with condensed milk speaded on it my mouths watering with just the thought of it. Andy Capp

john2000

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »
Hi"Andy, Yes they where the days in some ways, you lived in  a cul-de-sac , so you saw only local people, as I lived on a main road, and Sunday morning sitting on the front step, watch all the cars go by, I used to think, "well they must be coming from some were" so there must be a better life out there, and you know, there was/is, if people just made the effort to go and look, the big houses at the top end of Mary St, mosley village, and the pershore Rd, where the maid would tell you to go away and not make so much noise, "yes, there was a better life out there, all you had to do was go for it ".
I hear people of my age, saying, "the kids today all they do is hang around corners and sit on the wall," ( didn't we used to do that,? ) so some things never change............. John 2000 ::)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
If you want to go down Memory Lane, and buy all those lovely sweets, from childhood. I loved Sherbert Lemons.
There is a brill site called www.aquarterof.co.uk They have nearly every sweet from bygone days.

For all those nostalgic Brummies it's even better now:-

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/whatever.php?osCsid=b67fd06ff40a2eee61f1f617fda47ef9

PS Don't forget to clean your (NHS) teeth afterwards  ;D

Andy Capp

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
HI GRAHAM
MY WIFE BOUGHT SOME LIQUORICE STICKS TODAY WITH LEMONADE POWDER IN THE MIDDLE. NAUGHTY BUT NICE.
ANDY CAPP.

Stu79

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Speaking of rhubarb, do you remember those sweets called Rhubarb and Custard?? I used to love those as a kid  :D

...so much so I actually bought a load for my kids! I bought these on a website called www.yoursweetshop.com

The worst thing was that my kids said they didn't like them! Not a good sign when you find yourself saying things like, "kids of today don't know anything" or even worse, "they don't make 'em like they used to"! That last one was a shocker  :-[ I also loved those flying saucers, any ideas where to get those?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
Hi Stu79

Hello and welcome, you can still get the rhubarb and custard sweets in a lot of shops, and I think they still do the flying saucers in branches of Morrisons Supermarkets.  At least I think I remember buying some for my grandkids when I was in there once.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Stu79

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
Thanks Phil

I can see my teeth are going to need extra attention from now on!

tramp

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
Welcome Stu79,

Have fun and a moan that's what this site is all about, especially for some of us older gentlemen. 

Do you, or does anyone know if you can still get liquorice root, and if so where?

tramp

Flug

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
Caramac bars    oh and there used to be a bar with choc outside and a crunchy caramel filling, anyone remember that? Peanut brittle yummy...I can still get that sometimes. Mr Tom is not a substitute.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy