Author Topic: Street Lighting  (Read 9310 times)

Imperial

Re: Street Lighting
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
We have new lighting on my street, it was only turned on about a week ago and i must say the lights are brilliant, they really light up the street now, a lot more than the older lights ! Has anyone else seen how bright these lights are ? The light given off is similar to floodlights on a football ground, will make the streets safer too in my opinion.

nickcc

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
If it's the concrete type lamp posts that you are talking about then many of the older ones suffer from concrete cancer where the internal reinforcing bars corrode and cause the concrete to crumble which results in them becoming unsafe.  if it's not the concrete ones then I don't have a clue :)
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
Nick

No its the metal base lampposts I cant see any reason for it. Even if the new lamps to give out more light and use less power surely just the tops of the lamps could have been changed or was it beyond the imagination and intelligence of the street lighting department. I thought the council needed to save money any way it could.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Imperial

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
The new lampposts are a lot taller than the old ones maybe this is why they cant just replace the actual light part, due to the fact the lights work better from a higher height.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
Imperial,

Welcome to the forum,

The only thing I can see a little extra height doing is throw the light over a larger area, but as they seem to placing the new posts in the same locations so this extra coverage would seem surplus to requirements.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Imperial

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Imperial,

, but as they seem to placing the new posts in the same locations so this extra coverage would seem surplus to requirements.

Phil

Good point that is true, maybe then its just a case that these lights save so much energy that they pay for themselves over a number of years ? but like I said in a previous post, these light are good they really do light up the street more.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
Imperial

I have no argument with the stronger lights and I would imagine they use less power, but I wish I knew why all the lamp posts had to be replaced.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
Phil, Perhaps it's due to the state of underground corrosion where we can't normally see it?
 The concrete lamp posts were probably High Alumina mixture. Nickcc has described the result of that experiment, the stuff gradually disintegrates from getting wet.
  Whole streets of flats and Maisonettes have been demolished in Telford because they were on the point of collapse due to the concrete, never mind the hype about social renewal.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
No Steve these are metal posts that they are replacing, and they are not all that old. The only difference I can see is they are a little bit shorter and they are being replace next to the old ones that they are replacing.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »
The mind boggles when the Gov' is asking for Councils to make savings. As you say, I'm sure a lamp head could be designed to fit the existing poles in that case.
 The posts have been replaced all round here, but they were mostly 30 to 40 years old, and showing signs of rust where the sections plug together.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
Steve

The next time I am out and about I'll try and get a photo of the new and old lamps side by side. They leave them in tandem for a day or two whilst they sort the rewiring out I think.

It really annoys me to see Council money wasted like this especially when they are making cut backs in essential services and jobs.

Surely it was not beyond the realms of feasibility to adapt the old lamps and even allow for the added height if needed.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy