Author Topic: Street Lighting  (Read 2793 times)

maggie

Re: Street Lighting
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:40 AM »
I have bought a stock of a dozen  100watt bulbs
4 x 60 watt and 1x200..tried the energy saving ones
a couple of years ago the only thing they do is put more
money in the sellers pocket cos they dont last as long
as the old sort....

Have also got a load of candles

a bit of belt and braces
do unto others as you would be done by

trap0001

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »
Here is one that stands alone in escaping the LED cull.

Scipio

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »

Does anybody know why all the street lighting is being changed. From what I can see there seems to be little difference except the new light stands are a little higher and I suppose the lamps are the new energy saving type.

Why though could the existing ones not be converted with new lamp holders instead of all the expense of replacing them?

Can anybody shed any light on the matter (pun intended)

Phil

Phil I've only just noticed this post of your's ,would the difference be from orange light to a white light ? if so let me explain . The orange light was emitted by what is named as high pressure sodium very efficient in its own right . Downside is colour identification is negligible re clothing and also car colours . The white light is another high pressure sodium lamp only using a different phosphours , a lot of councils/ firms may be changing to this for security, orange (HPS) cannot differentiate between navy blue and black or difference in light coloured clothing . White (HPS) distinguishes difference in colours very well , I may be wrong as power saving lamps are more on the up and up . HPS lamps are used for streetlighting and security perimeter lighting . After leaving my apprenticeship I went into electrical wholesaling till I packed work up , we were given product trainings on things like this . Did'nt mean to be too boring Phil

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
It's all about councils having money left at the end of the financial year,if you've got any left you don't get the same amount next year.So waste it

Scipio

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »

Phil I've only just noticed this post of your's ,would the difference be from orange light to a white light ? if so let me explain . The orange light was emitted by what is named as high pressure sodium very efficient in its own right . Downside is colour identification is negligible re clothing and also car colours . The white light is another high pressure sodium lamp only using a different phosphours , a lot of councils/ firms may be changing to this for security, orange (HPS) cannot differentiate between navy blue and black or difference in light coloured clothing . White (HPS) distinguishes difference in colours very well , I may be wrong as power saving lamps are more on the up and up . HPS lamps are used for streetlighting and security perimeter lighting . After leaving my apprenticeship I went into electrical wholesaling till I packed work up , we were given product trainings on things like this . Did'nt mean to be too boring Phil

One point of correction I need to make the orange streetlighting is low pressure sodium (sox) and not son as previously stated the white son remains the same

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »

the street lighting where I live are far and few between   we have just had new lighting and I have to say it far better than the old lighting  at least you can see folk   now with the old lighting has in the photo some colours did not show up under the lighting browns blues and dark coats but with the new lighting they seem to stand out more even if there is a slight  fog   so I think they are much better
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »

gas street lighting can still be found in Malvern

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Steve

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
Phil is asking why change the whole lamp standard instead of just the lamp unit?
 I also wonder about this, as when I worked with Maintenance at a sports centre we changed just the lamp units only. The boss had an annual budget he was charged with sticking to, and most repairs were skimpy.
However, it may be to do with the presumed life of the standards as they are obviously going to rust and rot away underground. Not as robust as the old gas lamps.
 All our lamps here in Telford are gradually being replaced, in my case our street lighting was installed when the estate was built 45 years ago.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »

gas street lighting can still be found in Malvern

It's enough to take you back to the East End in Victorian days , when Jack the lad was roaming the streets

townie

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

Globe Street Lights

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 12:38:31 PM »

It might have been easier to put one on the other side of the road.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?