Author Topic: Alvechurch Road, West Heath  (Read 6312 times)

lucycb1

Alvechurch Road, West Heath
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
Hello, firstly, I'm new here! ; )

I'm just looking to buy my first house in Alvechurch Road in West Heath. I've been doing a little research about West Heath and Alvechurch Road specifically, as I'm not too familiar with the area, being a Kings Heath girl.

Wow, what an exciting history! The Lido, opened by Gracie Fields and the former home of Red Robbo, just on Alvechurch Road... let alone all the exciting civil war connections to West Heath. I just wondered if anyone knows of any good sources of information about the past history of the area or has any photos? I've seen a lovely photo on this site of the old grocers, which looked delightful and would like to see any others people might have.

Also, I'm the house we are looking to buy is one of the older terraced houses opposite the shops, anyone know how old they are? I'm guessing around 1910, but can't find much info about when the older houses were built, although lots about the newer developments.

Many thanks, look forward to visiting again soon!

mikejee

Re: Alvechurch Road, West Heath
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
A bit older than that Lucy. Below are two maps of the area for about 1884 and 1966. I think your cottages are on both, though the scale of the map is very  slightly different (they changed from imperial to metric between times , and i had to make one smaller to fit in the size limits for the site)

lucycb1

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
Excellent! Thank you for that, very interesting... hmm, older than I thought, then Mikejee.

Thank you for your help and reply,

Lucy

lucycb1

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
Hi again!
Just wondering if Alvechurch Rd has always been called Alvechurch Rd? I've been trying to find it on the 1911 census, but the only houses I can find on Alvechurch Rd are called Bordesley Cottages and are listed as the parish of Alvechurch, in the district of Bromsgrove... I'm assuming those are more likely to be in Alvechurch itself, perhaps near Bordesley Hall, although I know that West Heath wasn't Birmingham until 1911 formally.

mikejee

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
Alvechurch road was called Alvechurch road, but wasn't in Birmingham, but in Northfield, which then was outside Birmingham. In the 1912 Kellys directory the listings are :

Alvechurch road, West Heath road to Groveley.

Hobbis George & Sons, nurserymen
13 Taylor Joseph, nurserymn
35 Loekwood Mrs. Nora,fancy draper
37 Goodenough Mrs. Ada,shopkeeper
39 Glassgoe. Wm. beer retlr
49 Taylor Charles, haulier
 53 Jarvis William A. grocer & POST&M. O. Office-
61 Bevan Alfred
63 Stevens Miss
MISSION ROOM
here is Rednal rd .
Mahony Richard, blacking manufacturer
Webb Adam John (Fairview)
Moseley Richard, farmer (Ivy House farm)
                            ---------
42 Jordan Bertram Furneaux. M.B., B.ch. surgeon (surgery)
Brown Professor Adrian M.SC;, F.T.C. (West Heath house)

lucycb1

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Thank you, that is fascinating. What a range of businesses there were! I still can't find the houses opposite the shops on Alvechurch Road in the 1911 census... maybe the houses were unoccupied at that time, or perhaps (more likely!) I'm just searching for the right terms.

Paulc

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »
Hey I am new here and am currently looking for old photos of the west Heath shops and surrounding area, would be so great full for any help thanks

Paul.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
Hi Paul,

It's always a pleasure to greet new members, so welcome to the forum. These photos are of West Heath at various years from I would hazard a guess the 1930's up to the 1970's. As I know very little about the area, I can explain very little about the images other than the tags that appear under the photos. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paulc

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »
That's wonderful, thank you for the reply and help!  I was looking for specifically west Heath shops on west Heath road, if anyone has those that would be amazing, thank you so much again for your help,

Regards

Paul.

Escapism

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:32:03 PM »
Hi all, we have recently occupied the front unit of west way industrial estate (previously motaparts) and would love to find out more about its fascinating history. On entering the unit we were completely in awe of the original wood panelling which we have kept and turned the space into a coffee shop for the locals to enjoy. Everyone always comments on how nice it is and how you would never know such a place still existed. If anyone knows of it's history or has pictures we would be intrigued to see.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and feel free to pay us a visit for a chat over coffee and cake.
Sprinkles wishes,
Mary
Kiss Me Cupcakes & Cakes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:58:10 PM »

hi escapism welcome to the forum make you self at home and enjoy

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy