Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 354045 times)

shazzieboo

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 09:59:31 PM »
hello im sharon  i wasnt born in birmingham but all my kids were ,at good hope sutton coldfield i lived in erdington for 13 years and loved it  the people are friendly  once they got to know you lol i meet my first husband at stockland green  on marsh lane happy days  then we moved down to andover  hampshire now he lives in southampton and im stuck ere lol ill come home one day  :)

abilene

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 05:54:55 AM »
Hi my name is Lorrie I was born in Abilene Texas USA.  I live in Birmingham in Stirchley.  I came to Birmingham at the age of 3 when my parents divorced.  My Mom was born in Birmingham, living in Sparkbrook/ Balsall Heath until the 2nd WW when evacuated to Stoke.  The family Bartletts did live in Grafton Grove acc. to the 1901 census, but Leah Bartlett my great grandmother I believe was living in Highgate Road until she died in 1953 aged 80, this is where my mom lived before going to Stoke.  On returning from Stoke my grandparent Charles Samuel Bartlett and Jane Bartlett nee Underhill lived in Arkley Road Hall Green.

abilene

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 06:14:56 AM »
I posted the wrong information, the Bartletts lived at 51 Larches Street in 1901 it was my nan's family the Underhills who lived at No 1 Grafton Grove in 1901.

Graham

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 03:39:22 PM »
Hi abiline (Lorrie),

I lived most of my youth in Sparkbrook 1944-1966, firstly at N°58 Leamington Road then on to N°3 Grafton Grove and N°2 Grafton Grove, Grafton Grove was a small cul-de-sac leading off Leamington Road with 12 two up-two down houses. I can remember the people from N°1 Grafton quite well, the woman we called her Mrs Addly and she had a daughter named Lita, I never knew the mans name. Lita would have been a few years older than me. They seemd a very excentric family and the woman told me once that they had lived in America and had been chashed off by Red Indians! She said that they had to abandon their car and run for their lives!

Now these people were so strange (to me) that I never believed a word she said. I left Sparkbrook in 1966 and left England in 1967. I did return to Grafton Grove on visits as I had an Uncle that lived there. On one of my visits I had learned that some people from America had turned up trying to find the people from N°1, but they had died and no one knew anything about the girl, Lita.

Leamington Road and Grafton Grove are long gone, they were pulled down and on that site now stands a school, The Nelson Mandela School. Leamington Road ran between Stoney Lane to the East and Ladypool Road to the West. It was inbetween Colville Road to the North and Brunswick Road to the South. On the Ladypool Road end there is still a few meters of Leamington Road left standing with one or two houses.

If you look at all my postings on this forum you will find some photo's, one of them is the cast iron door number from N°2 Grafton Grove! You can also find me in "Famous Brummies" on the Virtual Brum web-site. I can't say that I remember the name "Underhill" but then not everyone was known by their real names, and there was an American conection that's for sure. I have some photo's (somewhere) of Grafton Grove just before they pulled it down. If I can find one of them I will post it on ths forum.

Graham.

abilene

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 08:26:36 PM »
When i checked the census again I realised that it was Grafton Road Civil Parish of Aston, Saints Peter and Paul, District:Reservoir,  Aston Manor.   Iwas getting confused with My Great grand parents Alfred and Leah Bartlett my grandfather Charles Samuels parents who lived in Larches Street Balsall Heath.  It was his wife Jane Underhill's parents Henry Underhill and Jane Huckerby that lived at the above address of Grafton Grove. Does anyone know of this address or the Larches Street address?

john2000

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »
Abilene, have you tried the areas of Losells or Wison Green ??
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

wam

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 09:39:12 AM »
I posted a couple of things on other threads yesterday. It's surprising how many people here seem to have a connection to Balsall Heath / Sparkbrook - just look at the last two threads in History.
I was born in Croydon (Surrey) but moved here when I was 6 in the early 60s. I used to live in Edgbaston but now I've moved to the other end of the Balsall Heath Road. Not a long way. We did some of the moving with suitcases on wheels up the hill.
As someone mentioned it, I used to drink in the Trafalgar in Moseley for a while in the 80s but I don't remember who the landlord was in those days.

john2000

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »
Years ago, when people could not pay the rent for the huose they lived in the used to do a midnight flit, move all their things from one house to another, there is even a song about it "my old man said follow the van and dont dilly dally on the way, " I think most of the expats who know this site can finish the song for me . .. have a great day.  ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 11:35:38 PM »
JOHN 2000
OFF WENT THE VAN WITH MY OLD MAN IN IT. I WALKED BEHIND WITH MY OLD [censored] LINNET. WE DILLID & DALLID. COME ON WHO CAN ANYONE FINISH THIS SONG. HERE'S ANOTHER IV'E GOT SIXPENCE JOLLY JOLLY SIXPENCE. IV'E GOT TUPPENCE TO SPEND & TUPPENCE TO LEND & TUPPENCE TO SEND  HOME TO MY WIFE. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE GOOD OLD SONGS. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 11:47:31 PM »
JOHN 2000
ANOTHER SONG. DAISY DAISY GIVE ME YOUR ANSWER DO. I'M HALF CRAZY ALL FOR THE LOVE OF YOU. IT WONT BE A STYLISH MARRIAGE I CAN'T AFFORD A CARRIAGE. BUT YOU'LL LOOK SWEET UP ON A SEAT OF A BICYCLE MADE FOR TWO. ANDY CAPP

wam

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 10:34:25 AM »
It would be nice to know who is behind setting up this forum. Why did it happen? What's the history behind it and all that? I have someone else here that would like to know.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy