Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 353979 times)

Jacqueline

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:26 PM »
Graham,
   I asked hubby who was born 1942 Little Green Lane Small Heath. He is not aware of your friends but then again his memory is crap.

Langstraat

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »
Jackie,

Anyone of that age must have been through a lot you should make allowances, you may be that old one day. I hope I will.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

john2000

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 08:27:14 PM »
Hi langstraat, the car I wish I could have is an Morris 1800 ( 1968 ), I had one, one time and it was out of this world, every Sunday a nice drive to Northamptom spend the day there, then home, one night I was hit on the drivers side by a Hillman Imp,doing about 80miles per hour, and he did'nt stop at the cross road,  the Imp was a write off, it was only the massive steel tube that they have on the front to hold the engine in place that saved me from getting hurt in a bad way, the impact was about 140mph, the morris never rolled, and when it stop sliding around I just open the door and stepped out with no problem,.

But out of all the cars of today, I would love a Bentley convertable,  ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Langstraat

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
John,

You'll get us oldies a bad reputation. The above posting should have continued on the Wonderful childhood thread. You just wait I'll bet Ace will join in and chastise you  ;) anyway, I've answered and continued with the other posting on that thread just to cover for you; we have to stick together. ;D
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

cappdn

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 05:56:32 AM »
Hi  Back on line again, been off crook for a while, on the mend now though. I remember Stony Lane,
I was in the TAVR at Stony Lane Barracks. I remember the Carlton cinema, The Picadilly. Ladypool Rd with the best ice cream shop in the world. went back there in 98, every shop was a Balti house. had a few meals down there, very good and very cheap by pommie standards.
The other verse to Daisy go's, Michael, Michael, this is your answer dear, I cant cycle it makes me feel so queer, so if you cant afford a carrage, put off the bloomin marriage, for ill not sit upon the seat of a bicycle made for two
 Best wishes to all the ex pats out there.
Regards
Dennis

john2000

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
Hi"Dennis, great to see youre back, and say Hi to Ron for me...Johnny L.
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Dennis, glad to hear you're on the mend we are getting a bit lonely out here in cyberspace :(.

I don't know if you remember, but I lived my whole youth just a few yards from Stoney Lane, at the bottom end of what was once Leamington Road. That's gone now all but for a few yards at the Ladypool Road end. Where we used to live now stands the Nelson Mandela school, I've tried getting in touch with them, the headmaster, by email but of no avail. There must be some VERY rude Brummies at that school, no one even had the courtesy to reply!

Do you remember the cycle shop in Stoney Lane with Mr Rodgers? He was such a good bloke to me, bought my first new bicycle at his shop, a Hercules Harlequin. I was about 14 years old then, had to buy it on the never never. Then there was the barbers shop on Ladypool, right opposite Leamington. The barber there always went on and on about how beautiful my hair was (jet black slightly curly) he said "women would give anything to have your hair, they pay fortunes trying to get it that way". As a very young lad found this rather embarrassing. Almost next door to the barbers shop was an electronics shop where I bought my first "cats whisker" to build a crystal radio so that I could hear the pop music on Radio Luxembourg. My step-dad wouldn't let me listen to the house radio, that by the way was powered by accumulator. Radio Luxembourg was good but kept fading away because of the long distance, I thought, but after having spent the last 30 years in the Grand Duchy I now know that reception there is just as bad! On medium wave that is, on 97 FM they have a wonderful "oldies" sender, remnants of all the English DJ's on Radio Luxembourg. To the right of the electronics shop was a garden shop, there we bought some of the ingredients for a bomb. Good job we tested our bomb in a safe place, testing it in the street it would have blown all the windows out. We never attempted to make another one  :-[.

There's me going on again, could go on all day but wont. Only hope this jogs your memory a bit about that magical area. I say magical area because it does seem to have produced some remarkable people. I'll have to start a new topic on that theme.

You can just see the last bit of Leamington Rd on this map, running off Ladypool Rd in between Colville and Brunswick Rd.
See ya, Graham.

rubery_station

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
Hi, Im' Andy Doherty and I'm hoping some other readers are interested, as am I, in the idustrial history of Birmingham and in particular, that of the railways.

I was born in 1970 in the QE, and never cease to be amazed at the rapid and continuous evolution of Birmingham - some changes for the good and some, in my opinion, for the worse.

I am very much looking forward to getting involved in some of the discussions: any fellow railway enthusiasts out there?
Andy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »
hi chris im roy  an old brum kid   born in loveday street hospital spent most of my life in and a round brum you have got a good web and i love to see things about brum and also add things  have a guden roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Bootneck

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »
Hi Ann Marie,
There was a Beryl Bullivant in our class at Dennis Road Juniors, would she be from the same family as you refer to.
Regards

cappdn

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2007, 02:49:18 AM »
Hi Graham,
My Father bought my first bike from Shuffllebottams in Ladypool Rd, They are relations of my mother. Mom was born in Runcorn Rd, she left there in 1939 when she got married.  My fathers parents lived in Oldfield rd, they moved there from Mary Street after the Luffwaffe Kidly demolished it for them.

Regards

Dennis

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy