Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 353985 times)

Bannion

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »
Now why on earth am I resurrecting this part of the forum?  Three reasons.
(a) When I came on the forum I never introduced myself as others here have.
Briefly I was born in the Billesley area just before Hitler had evil intentions in our direction.  For the past thirty two years my wife(ex Sheldon) have lived on the South Coast.   A couple of pensioners enjoying most of our lot.  Daughters are the responsibility of other men and our grandchildren will soon be paying towards our pensions.  Well that is done - now for:-
(b)  Just been looking through the postings here.  Great aren't they.  Only wish I could contribute more to each one that appeared.  Still who knows, in time, I shall get verbalitis and you will all be shouting for me to shut up.
Where has the majority of the posters gone.? Why have they deserted, if that is not too strong a word, the site?
Come back in.  Would love to read more postings.
So onto the next one:-
(c)  Now I cannot find a section on the forum into which to put this so here it must go for now.
One of our members wrote a p.m. to me on the 18th inst.  Opened on the 19th.  I replied but it did not appear in my 'outbox'  Decided to write a second in case I pressed the wrong button (us computer nerds are likely to do these things) and hey presto - It did not appear in my 'outbox'.
My two points are (a) should I be able to read my sent post and if so how? and (b) To let the member know I did not ignore them and I hope they got the reply.  Will not send another p.m. to the person else they think - Hey what's his game?
Anyone else out there can tell me where, if I am, going wrong.

ACE

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
Banniaon - fear not old timer, ACE is back. Can you smell what the ACE is cooking?

Bannion

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
Have an inkling ACE.   Hope that others now decide to come back in and help build up genuine interest in the Brummagem tales on the site.
Well that is what it was started for wasn't it?.
Will try and get more involved than I have in the past and not simply look in and pass on like so many have been doing.  Blow me - sort like a New Year pledge.

frederick

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »
hi bannion you said your wifes name used to be sheldon i am part of the sheldon family from leamington rd sparkbrook any connection
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Bannion

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 03:20:03 PM »
Frederick.  Sorry my posting was misleading for I was referring to the district from where she came and not the surname.
Met her nearly fifty years ago, on my demob from the services, at the Galleon Dance Hall on the Stratford Road, Hall Green.  Expect it to have long gone.
We married some four years later, living first in Sheepcote Street, Ladywood and then to Sheldon, near her parents, before we travelled south.

frederick

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
bannion thanks for that just wandering i used to live in sheldon at one time 1968 to 1979 at the glade of the coventry rd oppersite the arden oak i have been to the galleon dance hall to in my ballroom dancing days  :D

Bannion

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
Frederick.  Well hello neighbour.  We used to live in Olorenshaw Road until 1975.  Used to drink in the Arden Oak and the Sheldon on generally alternate Sunday lunchtimes with the father in law .
Had been to known to be led astray, by neighbour's, (my excuse to the missus) in the Legion on the Coventry Road on a Friday evening

frederick

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
i was there most sunday lunch times, my wife jean used to work behind the bar in the lounge and i have paid the odd visit to the legion.
living on the south coast that used to be the brumies dream.   8)

Bannion

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
We must have knocked elbows at the bar on occasions.
Think I am alright for I behaved myself, on my own doorstep, so Jean should not recall me  ;D
Work brought me down here, and for all that I have fond memories of Brum, I remember the first day I arrived here.
Blue sky, blue sea with white cliffs and I remember thinking what the heck I was doing around the grime of Hockley all those years.
Will never come back now for we are now settled.  Tell you it did take some time for I did not speak the language here but time has mellowed things.

mickie

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:17 PM »
well i am going to jump in here as there seem to be some posters of my generation . I grew up in birmingham during `the war`, I lived in Hall Green most of my life until I was twenty at twenty two I moved to Califonia and have been here ever since, lately with the nostalgia of old age I have been on the Brum websites, most of what I remember seems to have disappeared, I have been trying to find out what happened to my old school , a girls school called Mosely College, anyone know it? Have fond memories of the old Bullring and Lewis`s department store, bought my first high heels there and used to line up to see Father Christmas there .   Mickie

frederick

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
hi mickie
mosely college would it be mosely school in college road of wake green road

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy