Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 353999 times)

Coastal

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #1287 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
A warm welcome to Bronson and Capps, we're a friendly bunch on here and don't bite (usually) your queries are a bit before my time, but there are some really knowledgeable members so you never know your luck, most of us are Brummies or Ex Brummies but there are a few unconnected members, stick with us and join in, once again welcome. 
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Spud

« Reply #1288 on: July 14, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Hi everyone,  my name is Gordon Brown and I was born in the Sorrento hospital in 1948. Liver and grew up on Albion Road in Greet opposite the Watsonian sidecar company. I attended Greet Primary school and Formans Road school and left there in 1964 to join the Royal Navy . I decided to retire in March 2017 after working at the airport for 17 years, also I had a liver transplant in 2013.  If I have forgotten anything please ask.

HI Bronson

I lived in Percy Road until around 1962 and went to Greet and Formans Road be it a little before your time [Greet 1945 to 1952 Formans Road 1952 to 1955] . I knew Albion Road quite well and had a few old mates who lived there Barry Hodges Albert Morris etc.
I suppose Mr Carroll would have been at Head at Greet during your time there.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Bronson

« Reply #1289 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
Hi MASH. I remember Mr carol very well, I left Greet school  in 1960 the headmaster was Mr Bains or Bands .  I played for the school football team. Mr Harbour run the team and after the Warwickshire trophy match which we won Joe Mercer who managed  Aston Villa sent me a letter asking me to contact him with reference to becoming a boot boy, but I opted for the Royal Navy instead. Yes I know Albert Morris the other person I'm not sure of.....

Capps

« Reply #1290 on: July 16, 2017, 01:31:41 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Apparently, my Granddad Williams had a green grocers store on Nineveh Road, back in the day. I am too young to remember it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1291 on: July 16, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »
Hi Again Capps,

Your granddad Thomas Even William ( I presume) had his shop at 28 Nineveh Road, unfortunately it seems that this building was one of the few that have been demolished in Nineveh Rd. From what I can make out from the Trade Directory's his tenancy of this shop wasn't long lasting from roughly 1947-48 to 1954-55 he certainly was gone by 1955 and I don't think the shop ever reopened after that so perhaps this is when it was demolished.

In this snip from Google earth your grandfathers shop would have been where the car park is now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Capps

« Reply #1292 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
Yes, that's him last name is Williams. I guess the shop was in the front room of the house then, as they lived at number 28 Nineveh Road. I remember the house.  Sad that the houses were knocked down.

TomParry98

« Reply #1293 on: July 27, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »
Hi,

My name is Thomas Parry - I am only 18 years old and have lived in Birmingham all of my life so far. However, I am interested in my personal family history and I am enquiring as to whether or not anyone remembers a Mr. George Parry (died 1960) who lived in Duke Street (which no longer exists - near Woodcock Street) and was a barman (not sure if barman of Red Lion Inn on Duke Street). He later moved to Granville Street. If anyone does remember him I would appreciate a response.

Thanks,

Thomas Parry

Scipio

« Reply #1294 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »

Welcome Tom , I used to live in William St just off Granville St . Was he married to Floss ? . Did'nt have much contact with them but there was definitely a family named Parry present .

Regards John
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

TomParry98

« Reply #1295 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
Hi,

No you are thinking of George's son William "Bill" Parry who married a Florence "Floss" Jones. They had two children Albert (my grandad) and Sheila.

Saltley3152(tony)

« Reply #1296 on: August 21, 2017, 12:20:51 AM »
Hello all,
new here, i was very interested in the posts about Tescos on the corner of George Arthur Rd and Alum Rock rd, i worked there from 1969 till, when it closed in 84 or 85.  Are there any updated posts on this link about that Tescos. I cannot seem to find the posts about Tescos since i joined the forums. I use to live in GA rd as well, first house on the left, past the Village Pub.

Tony.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1297 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »

hi tony welcome to the forum   have a look at this link     

www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1513.275
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy