Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 353978 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #1331 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
Alberta

Do not adopted parents re-register their adopted child in their name, and the old records closed and can only be reopened on the instructions of the child when reaching the age of majority. Also surely Marie's mother or grandmother/father would have had to give permission for the child to be adopted unless there was some sort of a traceable court order? I don't think that as late as 1959 children could be taken from their family without the courts being involved.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Abt

« Reply #1332 on: August 12, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »
Hi Phil ,what you say about permission for your baby to be adopted is true but every baby has to be registered by its birth parents/parent and that record is still on the GRO records for ever  and the birth certificate is available to whoever requests it.Often it has an extra number or letter on it to signify that the child has been adopted.
As you say in 1959 the courts would be involved in the adoption.especially as this was a hospital birth to an underage girl.

Once adopted the new parents do not re register the birth but  are granted a new short  birth certificate  via the adoption agency through the courts with new name and original birthdate and birthplace ,this does not have any information about the birth family, this new certificate is not listed on GRO records but on an adoption record that is very difficult to gain access to (unless you are making a TV programme,lol)
Alberta

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1333 on: August 12, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »
So Alberta if Marie's mother doesn't know a great deal about, it was obviously all arranged by Marie's grandparents. I don't suppose either of them are contactable are they, because they must know more.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

marie 65c

« Reply #1334 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »
they are not alive phil, unfortunately and the court were involved and the man in question was sent to prison to serve  a sentence for underage sex... and we beleive the baby was then given to his wife????

marie 65c

« Reply #1335 on: August 12, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »
some strange things like this went on on those days and the wife then registered her husbands baby.....well thats what we have been told.... and he was brought up with his father and his wife not the birth mother.... and they stayed in contact all thru their lives until they died
strange i know.... but i only found this out at the age of 48  a few years ago that my mom had had a child at 15 and the father went to prison

marie 65c

« Reply #1336 on: August 12, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
does anyone know if prison records are available to the public???? as this would put the timescale in perspective   the man was in prison when the baby was born....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1337 on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
Marie

It's entirely possible that the father would have been able to claim the child, but someone in your mothers family would have had to allow this. Even if the fathers wife brought up the child as her own the birth mothers name would have been on the birth certificate. This would still be true even if the adoption or transfer of the child had been done privately and without record.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

marie 65c

« Reply #1338 on: August 12, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
thank you so much phil that clarifes a lot it could have happened then as my nan gave the baby away to her and she agreed to bring it up as it was her husbands.... and he was in prison at birth so she came and collected from loveday st. with her brother and took the baby home..... thanks for your help

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1339 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »
Marie

I have only given you my thoughts on the matter, and as I am no legal expert on adoption and have no first hand experience in such matters, I would caution you against accepting anything I have said as anything but common sense.

Having said that may I say that I hope your search and endeavours are fruitful, I know that Alberta will do her very best to assist you as she is very good at this sort of thing and can be trusted implicitly.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #1340 on: August 12, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
welcome marie and good luck with your search...its a very delicate subject and one i have been through myself which did result in a happy conclusion...as phil has said alberta is very experienced at this im sure she will do all she can to put you on the right track

all the best

lyn

marie 65c

« Reply #1341 on: August 12, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
thank you everyone for your help and time

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy