Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 354025 times)

Scipio

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #1364 on: July 03, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
Hi, names Donna. I grew up in Acocks green. Lived on Greenwood Ave. My mum also grew up in acocks green in the 1950s with all of her siblings. They lived on Easton grove last name Tustin. Does anyone remember them..

Welcome Donna 52 did your mother ever work at a school ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Donna52

« Reply #1365 on: July 03, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Hi ya, no I don't think she did. They were quite a big family.

linwaisee

« Reply #1366 on: July 04, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »
Linwaisee, is my Chinese name. I'm British, born in Blundell Road in Greet in 1943. I am male and have lived lived in Hong Kong for over 24 years. I have two sons, three grandsons and one great grandson all living in the New Milton (Hampshire) area.

Jim Hyland

« Reply #1367 on: July 05, 2020, 09:55:29 AM »
Hi everybody, I moved to Shard End in 1950/51 aged three or four into Pithall Road, into a three story block at the end of the road facing what became Norman chamberlain much later. As there was no catholic school in the area we were bussed to the Abbey Erdington until the Guardian Angels was built around 1956, which I then attended as the oldest pupils taught by Mr Cronin, the Headmaster was Mr Dwyer and the school caretaker was a no nonsense man Mr Murphy. Some of my classmates were Antony Griffiths, Eddie Nash, Paddy Traynor, and Maurice Carey who all played in the football team with me coached by Mr Dugdale.
At first to attend mass we went to the out buildings at the Bradford Pub, before the priest were bought a house in Hurst Lane and we attended mass in the garage there. The priest names were Father Whittle and Father Callaghan, he was an ex missionary from China who had been imprisoned for his faith  and had suffered physically for his beliefs, he rode everywhere on an old bike with his beret jammed on his head. Father Whittle was a much different character who had a car ( a westminster I believe0 he smoked a pipe and had a dog called Shot. I have many happy memories about growing up in the building site called Shard End.

Regards Jim

anitacoleshill

« Reply #1368 on: July 23, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »
Hi Brian do you remember us Anita and sister Diane lived at no 40.

HappySar

« Reply #1369 on: August 06, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
Hi,
This is Happy,Was born in istanbul but moved here a week ago.When I was in istanbul there was an expat forum like this and I helped with my replies on the forum the people who came to istanbul from UK, generally..
And I thought maybe it's my turn :)I'm married, 39 years old male, have twins babies but for now I will be alone for a while hereI wish good luck for everyone!Thanks and greetings.

My Dad

« Reply #1370 on: August 19, 2020, 08:47:08 AM »
Hi Chris

I'm Lisa.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have indeed bookmarked this page

I am having problems however of how to access and reply to private messages as I only recently became a member to your website following the death of my beloved father whom would work at various cinemas around Birmingham when I was little and was also an ice cream van driver for Midland Counties and got his supply from Burdens Cream Ices and then he also had his own business. He was a very busy hardworking man. Everyone who met him loved him and he had a great sense of humor. He would always make people laugh. He was also very caring and charitable towards both animals and people. In fact I don't think there was many people around Birmingham that wouldn't have met him at some point in their lives as he would talk to everyone. Unfortunately about 10 years ago or more he developed Dementia Alzheimer's Disease and was diagnosed just about 7 years ago and it's genetic. At home with me for the past 5 years he was very active and was definitely thriving, most of the time he was happy but had ups and downs. Starting from last year he suddenly made a deterioration which initiated with a water related infection (which he often developed) and improved on me giving him antibiotics before getting worse again and this time sadly not improving to the point he was prior to this deterioration. Around February as he was making noise at night a neighbor complained about him and the police said they would get him some support which sadly never happened and the neighbor complained about him again about a month later this time the police called the paramedics who took him to hospital during the Covid situation where he was constantly sedated and given antipsychotics against my dad's and family's wishes and thus missed meals and drinks. He wasn't given the care he needed and no one was offered to stay with him. Then following their lockdown he was discharged over a week later dying and unable to no longer walk or stand by himself malnourished/dehydrated. Sadly passing away at the start of April. I joined this forum in his memory. Hopefully to keep his memories alive to anyone who may have ever met him and anyone who remembers his workplaces

Thanks again and for this beautiful forum.

EDIT: I just managed to send a private message after all 😊

LadyJai

« Reply #1371 on: August 23, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Hi, I'm LadyJai and I actually live just over the border in Smethwick, but was born at St Chads Hospital on Hagley  Road which technically makes me half Black Country and half Brummie.

I'm 54 and enjoy looking at the photos of old Birmingham, especially from the 50/60's and the various changes that happened. I have to admit to being very fond of the 70's/80's City Centre and the Bull Ring, Rag Markets ect. It was "My Town", the one as a teenager living in Bearwood would travel to most Saturday afternoons.

I should also mention I support the mighty West Brom!

Well, that's a bit about me, I look forward to reading and joining in threads.

Scipio

« Reply #1372 on: August 23, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »
Welcome to you LadyJai , looking forward to reading your future posts .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1373 on: August 23, 2020, 08:45:24 PM »
well come lady jai  sit back and enjoy   your self     roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #1374 on: August 24, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Hi LADY JAI.WHOS THIS WEST BROM.BEING MIGHTY IS IT THE BUILDING SOCIETY ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy