Author Topic: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.  (Read 353983 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« on: February 02, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »
Hello and welcome to the Birmingham Forum. Feel free to discuss any issues relating to this great city (and it's suburbs) in these boards.

Come and join us, it do not cost any thing and you will be made most welcome. It's easy going and if you need to know anything about Brum or you would like to put a thread up you will meet some nice folk. Have a bit of fun so come on down join us.

Remember to bookmark this site and come back often to help make this a lively community and great resource for all.

To post messages please register by clicking the button at the top. After posting a message you have 15 minutes to change you mind about what you wrote and edit your post. After that the post becomes permanent, so please be careful about what you write.

Registered users can receive an email when someone posts a new topic, just hit the 'notify' button on each board you are interested in.

Please do not advertise on the forums. If you wish to place an ad, please click on the 'Ads by Google' link, join up and follow the instructions for making a managed placement ad on birminghamforum.co.uk.

We value your privacy here on Birmingham Forum and would advise you not to post your email address on the boards. We are a public forum and anyone can view them including spammers. Please exchange email addresses etc only via personal messages (pm) to people you know.

Another thing to check is that your email address is hidden from other members. Click on your profile, then under Account related settings, make sure 'hide email address from public' is ticked. Your email address will then be visible to no-one except yourself.

Also if anyone receives any unsolicited pm's promoting another website or any other suspicious activity, please report it straight away.
Finally, please feel free to introduce yourself by replying to this message.

Chris.

ACE

Re: Welcome to Birmingham Forum - Please read.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »
Hello. I am ACE

AnnMarie

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
 :)Hello. Is there any one out there from Sparkbrook???

I was born in Sydenham Road in 1935 but was bomed out of there about 1940 and lived in Balsall Heath for a couple of years then in Stoney Lane for about 10 years untill I married --then Dorridge for 7 years--and "down under" for 40 years.  I have a lot of happy memories of Sparkbrook from the 40's and 50's.  My Grandfather was a chimney sweep in Sparkbrook for many years.
Like a lot of people now, I'm doing our family history. Names of CLIFFORD--SMITH--COLLETT--TRAINER.  Born a 'brummies' always a 'brummie'eh.

Cheers
Ann Marie :)

Graham

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 09:52:44 AM »
Hi Ann Marie, welcome.

I was born at Dudly Rd Hospital in 1944 and spent my whole youth at Leamington rd, Sparkbrook, between Ladypool Rd and Fulham Rd. It has all been pulled down now and there is a school on the site, Nelson Mandela School.

In 1967 I moved abroad to make a career in pro cycling and still live in Belgium with my Belgiam wife & kids.

I have many happy memories of those days but also lots of sad ones too. Moving abroad has helped me forget all the bad times, but I still remember the good things.

Graham.

AnnMarie

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 12:55:42 PM »
Hello Graham, I do known of your name and know of your cycling sucess.My husban lived with the Bullivants in Leamington Road.  Barrie Bullivant is also a keen cyclist and rides in South Australia in the VETS. I have read some of your letters. I also went to Dennis Road Junior school and have a lot of happy memories, it's a shame you dont. I think one of your Aunties had a big dog--was it a Great Dane--and a lady going down to the 'outdoor' with a jug.The pork butchers shop  on the corner of Leamington Road, I can smell the pork pies now. I have never tasted an ice cream  like Burtons on the corner of Oldffield Road. We used to play in the middle of the road and sit on the steps in the summer or ride our bikes up to Swanhurst Park. Oh happy days. We  have been back to Brum many times over the years--it will always be "home" but it's not like it used to be, times change--where ever you live in the world--- Well hope your health will improve.
Cheers from one Brummie to another.

Ann Marie

Graham

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:30 PM »
Hi Ann Marie,

Thank you for your reply, good to hear from someone that remembers Sparkbrook & Leamington Rd.

I remember the Bullivants very well, they lived opposite Grafton Grove where I lived in N° 3. When Barrie was about 13 or 14 he turned up on my door with Mick Bennett, Mick lived in Brunswick Rd or Chesterton Rd. They had heard that I was racing cyclist and both wanted to follow in my footsteps. Now I knew that Barrie had emigrated down under but have heard nothing off him since. I have good contacts with the Aussie Verteran cycling federation, I even got them to join the International Cycling Federation (ICF) last year. I do some work for the ICF, mainly translations and coordination.

Mick Bennett went on to become an Oylimpic and World medalist, he now runs the anual cycling show at the Design center in London.

My auntie Liz (Ford), and her son Freddy lived at N° 58 they had a dog called "Punch" and my mom (Lily) would often go to the "outdoor" for my step-dads (Mr Wittin) jug of beer. The ice-cream from Burtons was out of this World, I think that they won just about every international prize with their ice-cream. I have many happy memories and Swanshurst Park is one of them, though I was used to going much further afield in my young days. Every Sunday I would cycle over the Malverns to Gloscester and back, on my own, non stop when I was about 11 or 12!!! At 14 I cycled from Brum to Chepstow then round the Welsh coast to Rhyl and back then to Brum in 11 days, with just 10 pounds in my pocket. After 8 days I was broke! Good old days. They made me the person I am today.

I am including this photo (again) of the fancy dress competiton (that I won, N° 77) from the coronation street party in 1953. One of the Bullivants is standing in the middle dressed as an Arab.

Regards, Graham.

AnnMarie

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:44:16 AM »
Hi Graham,

Thank you for the smashing photo. I've been trying to think which one of the Bullivants it could be {the arab] It's not Barrie, he would have only been 5years old--Brian would have been about  14-15yrs old--but I will  find out and let you know.

Hope you are well on the way to good recovery.

Cheers. :)

Ann Marie

Yunalookalike

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 12:22:49 AM »
I'm Kali.  I was born at the QE in August, 1988.  Yeah, I'm a baby.

My grandfather was Robert Sayce who was the gaffer of rather a lot of pubs around here.  The one that sticks in mind most is the Trafalger.  Don't know if any of you know it...?

Tonto

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 05:11:01 PM »
Ooops... I didn't introduce myself. Hi, I'm Tonto (obviously). 30(ish) bloke from the south side of Brum. Lived here all my life. Errr... yeah, that's about it.

spyro2000

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 04:30:55 AM »
Ooops... I didn't introduce myself. Hi, I'm Tonto (obviously). 30(ish) bloke from the south side of Brum. Lived here all my life. Errr... yeah, that's about it.

Welcome to the forum Tonto.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

rickmercer

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »
Hi, I,m Rick Mercer  a born and bred Widnesian ,but married a Brummie
Her name was Jean Caudren of Acocks Green, She died in 2003 after a three year battle against breast cancer and I joined this site because I wanted to write about her life. I have posted a few items but not had much luck as yet. I also intend to try and track down her old school-chums, but that will be later. I have loads of photographs, but don,t know how to get them on , once I,ve worked that out I will put them on, maye they will strike a memory-cord. It,s a great site and I know Jean would have loved it because she loved Birmingham even after living in Widnes for 30 years so keep up the good work

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy