Author Topic: family search  (Read 17914 times)

Graham

Re: family search
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
Ok Graham i cannot remember the details you gave some months ago [i never keep details of other folks family after i have done a look up].

I took a quick look on the census returns for 91 and 01 the only John Sheldon i could find with father Joseph were all born Langley Green, Olbury, Worcs with mothers name Jane. Could these be yours?

I also found a Florence Butler in Birmingham listed as a niece with a family named Young plus a sister named Rebecca Butler. Does any of this make sense?

Also [just to confuse things] i have Sheldon's in my family tree. Bernard Sheldon b 1887 married to Alice Ward b 1890 with a daughter Edna b 1916. Again do any of these names ring a bell?

As for your Mr Day. Do you have any idea of the year Florence might have married him? I could look for the marriage in the index if you have a good idea of year.

Let me know if you want full details of the Langley Green family.

Hi Jackie, thank you again for all your help. The questions I asked you some months ago are still not answered, but the bit that you did find out was very helpful.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "returns for  91 and 01"? John Sheldon was from 1882 and his dad, Joseph, must then have been from the mid 1800's. If it is these that you have found then by all means would I like to know more. Jane and the other names mean nothing to me, maybe my sisters would know more. My mother never talked about any of the family except that grand dad Day was a really wonderful person.

The connection with Oldbury is quite possible, funny though, my first wife was from Langley. So while your looking I would be very grateful of all the details from the Langley Green family that you have.

As for Mr. Day, Florence's husband, John Sheldon, died in WW 1 so she may have remarried shortly after or even during that 1914-18 war. My mother, Lily Sheldon, was born in 1911.

Graham.

Jacqueline

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:29:43 AM »
Sorry Graham i just presumed you would know what i meant. Okies i looked at the census for 1891 and 1901 with the names Sheldon and the nearest in fact only Sheldon family local was those in Langley.

So flippin tired now am gonna call it a night but will list the census details in the morning and do a search on the other bits. Nite Nite xx

Graham

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »
Thanks Jackie, it was late for me too, remember we are an hour ahead here.

Any info that you may have would be welcome, I will then have to sift it through myself.

Jacqueline

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
First i will list the Sheldon family as found on the census.

Langley Green Road, Oldbury, Worcs

SHELDON -

JOSEPH    HEAD    1841  Oldbury    occ Labourer in chemical works
JANE        WIFE     1845  Oldbury
JOSEPH    SON      1876  Oldbury
SAMUEL    SON      1888  Oldbury
JOHN        SON      1882  Oldbury

The above would need to be confirmed before taking it as the correct family.

Now on to Florence. There is good news and not so good news. The good part is that i have found her birth on the index's but a little later than we thought as follows- FLORENCE HELEN BUTLER - July quarter 1887 in Solihull.

Apart from the Florence i mentioned earlier listed as a niece i have found two other possible families - one with a father John and mother Georgina both parents born London and a host of children born in different locations across the country. Seems they were Hawkers hence the travels but they were then living in Lancs.
Another is a John and Charlotte [nee Shakespear] from Birmingham but they list Florence as born 1888. In both cases no middle name is mentioned so that makes it difficult.

The easiest solution would be to obtain birth cert for Florence as that would give mothers full name.

Did you get any further with your other more recent line? i.e half siblings.

Graham

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »
Jacqueline,

First thanks a million for all your work.

The family you found from Oldbury seems to match perfectly well. The son John Sheldon born in 1882 and the woman Florence Helen Butler born in 1887 could be my grand parents. The dates don't match exactly with what they put on their marriage lines in 1905, John aged 23 and Florence aged 20. Could it be possible that she lied about her age? As if this is the Florence Helen that you have found then she was only 18, not 20, when she married John and he was indeed 23 in 1905. So I think you have hit the nail on the head with John as on the marriage lines his dad, Joseph is quoted as being a labourer. I'll have to look deeper into Florence's past.

The copy of the marriage lines that I've had from Frederick have some creases in and will have ask him to iron it out for me. (Fred if you read this, is Florence 20 on that certificate? It's not all that clear with that fold). Jackie, do you know how I could get her birth certificate?

The half brothers, Anthony and Barry, have not yet been found, but thanks to you I now know that they exist(ed). Not one single lead yet.

frederick

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
hi graham
yes florence is 20 years old on the certificate
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

frederick

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
hi again
did you know about uncle henry day living in cearphilly

Graham

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 10:16:57 PM »
hi again
did you know about uncle henry day living in cearphilly

Fred,

I can remember an uncle Henry very well, but I didn't know that he was a 'Day'. He used to come and sleep at our house when he was visiting Brum, he was a great laugh and spoke like a Welsh man. He was living with his wife and kids on Barry Island then, does that ring a bell with you? Caerphilly is not far from Barry Island, maybe they moved there, but I'm 100% sure that in the 50's he lived on Barry Island. I believe he was working in the Welsh mines then.

If I remember right there was a scandal in the Welsh family that hit the newspaper headlines, a suspicious death/murder, but will have to look that up before I get my wires crossed again.

Jacqueline

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
Okies. The cert might not be correct for two reasons.

First the bride may have lied about her age as my gt gran did when she married at 15 [drove me nutz for 2 years]

As Florence was 18 at marriage it seems she did not fib as what would be the point? It could be her parents told her she was older than she was and put her to work much younger. Hope this makes sense.

You can get the birth cert from gro. Not sure of cost to the eu. Will look again at the page and reference number which i did not quote.

frederick

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »
hi graham
no i can't remember any thing about him living at barry island. it has only been since getting in touch with you that i have been thinking of the old days and some of it can be a bit blurred    ???

Graham

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:21 PM »
Okies. The cert might not be correct for two reasons.

First the bride may have lied about her age as my gt gran did when she married at 15 [drove me nutz for 2 years]

As Florence was 18 at marriage it seems she did not fib as what would be the point? It could be her parents told her she was older than she was and put her to work much younger. Hope this makes sense.

You can get the birth cert from gro. Not sure of cost to the eu. Will look again at the page and reference number which i did not quote.

I was thinking that Florence maybe said that she was "nearly" 21 so that she could marry without consent? Your theory about putting her to work early could also be true. As you can find only one Florence Butler with middle name Helen, I think that she is the one. As you say I'll have to try and get her birth certificate.

Thanks again, you're an angel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy