Author Topic: family search  (Read 17917 times)

Jacqueline

Re: family search
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 07:54:52 PM »
BINGO. you will not need the birth cert. All the info was on the marriage cert you emailed me.
First i noted the proffession [afer zooming in] of Florences father was a beadstead maker. I thought this was some way off from a hawker so i looked at the other John on the census and there he was listed as a bedstead maker. I have tracked back to parents and grandparents and will send to your email later.
Even found the witnesses of interest. Rose Marriot was nee Butler [Florences sister] and married James earlier the same year.

Okies give me an hour or two and will send full details via email.

Graham

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »
Good God Jacqueline!

This search has gone into overdrive, thanks to you. I couldn't answer last night as the family was here and only left at 03:30 am (04:30 your time). I couldn't make out the profession of my great grand dad on the marriage lines, but you could match it with your findings and that really did clinch it.

I have been searching on the CWGC site http://www.cwgc.org/ for my grand dad, John Sheldon,and found a match died 23rd June 1915, and buried at Cuinchy Cemetery in France. Now I looked through the other Sheldon names, on the site, the names that you gave me. Joseph, 1876 and Samuel, 1888 and found all these had been killed in WW I too, and were all in the same regiment. I thought this too much of a coincidence and after a call to my older sister, she confirmed that they had all been in the South Staffordshire Regiment.

The oldest son, Joseph was killed at the battle of Passchendaele in October 1917 and is buried here in Belgium at the Tyne Cot cemetery, where they have just finished building the biggest visitors center ever for WW I victims. Samuel was killed on the Somme July 1916 and is buried in Picardy. John, my grand dad, seems to have been killed 23 June 1915 and is buried at Cuinchy Cemetery, Northen France, not too far from the Belgium border. So I will have a lot of work visiting these places, I will take my kids and grand kids with me. Very funny that there is a lot going on now here in Belgium  about the battle of Passchendaele, as it happend just 90 years ago!

So thanks to you I have found out a lot about my mom's family, and what with my mom's husband being killed at the Battle of El Alamein WW II http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=4040977 (that's another story) am even prouder, now, that our family did it's bit and played a part in British history.

I was surprised to find the Shakespear connection on my mothers side, I had found a connection to Shakespear on my dad's, the Webb's, side. I may need your help with that too. ::)

Anyway, bless you Jackie for all your work, I owe you a pint or two when next I'm in Brum.

Jacqueline

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
Just chuffed to find these for you after your brick walls on the other line. Also must admit i am pleased with myself for proveing details correct from the witnesses as i normaly overlook those details. ::)

Graham

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
Just chuffed to find these for you after your brick walls on the other line. Also must admit i am pleased with myself for proveing details correct from the witnesses as i normaly overlook those details. ::)

Yes that was great stuff Jacqueline you noticing that Rose Marriot was nee Butler. I'd glanced at the witnesses names, but they didn't ring a bell with me. My cousin Frederick was of great help as it was he who had the John & Florence marriage lines in his possesion. That was a great stroke of luck, thanks again to you too Fred.

Now Jacqueline this might be asking too much, but have you got anything on my dad's parents; Edwin Webb and Beatrice Alice (Webb after marriage, I don't know her maiden name). They had at least two children, Edwin Webb (Jr) born in 1904 and Dennis born in 19?? Dennis was my dad, he cohabited with my mom after his brother, Edwin Jr., was killed at El Alamein in 1942. They broke up after I was born in 1944, but I've never known why. Hence the (half) siblings Anthony and Barry Webb from Dennis and Joyce Dawson.

Can't thank you enough, Graham.  :-* :-* :-*

Batman

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »
The bronze... may go to Roy-ben, but the gold goes to Jacqueline, for the time and trouble she has put into looking up our family tree, ... youre one of the best...John 2000  ;)
Sex is like air....it's not important unless you are'nt getting any...

Jacqueline

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »
aww thanks :-[

johnl

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 04:55:27 AM »
Hi,
I need help in tracing family history for my Gran who died in 1944 at a house in Cromwell Passage Highgate.
The details found so far are
Name Clara Ledbrooke nee Wood
Died age 64 in 1944 ref 6d 270
Married in 1919 to John Ledbrooke.ref 6d 411
Think born in Aston Birmingham 1879 Ref 6d 117
I need details of her family and her husbands family.
I reside in New Zealand and the last remaining immediate family still living so I don't have access to all records I need.
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Kind regards
John L
John L

Graham

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »
hi again
did you know about uncle henry day living in cearphilly

Hi Fred, I hope that you had a good talk to my sister on the phone, send me a mail about it if you've learnt anything interesting?

Margaret also told me that not only Henry, but auntie Ethel & Violet were by the name of Day. Remember Valerie?

frederick

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
hi graham, barbara mentiond henry day and she said he never worked as far as she new he was a sickly man and he only ever lived in cearphilly and his son dennis who was married to a teacher thay went on holiday abroad and she never came back she said she never got to the bottom of that mystery.
auntie ethel & violet i remember the names but nothing else it is a bit blurred, now valerie who was she and who was she the daughter of. and my self it seems my farther was an american gi that came from margeret, i will have to ask barbara if she knows anything else?
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Jacqueline

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:10 AM »
Frederick, I so feel for you seeing that your dad was an American gi. I had a similar problem with my dad although he was english but simply dissapeared. I never thought i would find the truth about him as i knew he skipped the country. Yet after years of wondering and posting messages on numerous web sites i found a lady who turned out to be my older half sister.
While my sis was on holiday in Australia [where our dad was supposed to have gone in the 60's] She came across some info. Anyway the end result was that i now know my dad was quite well known in both Aus and NZ where he died three years ago PLUS i now know of five siblings both here and in Aus and have the pleasure of chatting to my youngest sis via email in Melbourne on a regular basis. My message to you is don't give up. Ok it drives you half nutz at times but it is fantastic when you get a result.

Graham have noted your request and will give it my attention tomorrow.

John to you also will take a look for your gran. Hey you live where my cheating dad ended up. He lived a millionaire lifestyle on South Island and when he died left his money to his ageing sister back here with no care about the trail of kids he left behind [all to different mothers]. Okies watch this space. Will see what i can find. Can even ask my mom as she lived close to Cromwell Passage in 1944.

johnl

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
Hi Jacqueline,
Many thanks for the reply.
I too live in the South Island in the small town of Picton and am trying to become a millionaire but the odds are stacked against winning "LOTTO" so I guess I'll have to remain poor but happy.
In fact I count my blessings every day in being able to live in a wonderful place of such scenic beauty as New Zealand but I will always look upon Birmingham and the UK as my true home.
Thats enough of my ramblings and may I once again say thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
Another piece of information re my Gran is that my father and mother moved to a house at the top of Angelina St next to the  bombsite cnr of Upper Highgate St after her death.That's where I lived until 1957 when the area was being redeveloped and we then  moved to Shard End until 1967 which is when we emigrated to NZ
My mothers maiden name was Shaler so your mother may have known her family.
Kind regards
John Ledbrooke

John L

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy