Author Topic: Round The Horne  (Read 10621 times)

craiguito

Round The Horne
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »
The Crescent Theatre presents
Round The Horne
22nd and 23rd November 2011 at 7.45pm in The Ron Barber Studio, Crescent Theatre, Birmingham
Fans of nostalgia and 1960s radio comedy, come and join the fun as we recreate a recording of the iconic 1960s radio comedy Round The Horne.
With live music from the Fraser Hayes Four, all your favourite characters will be making an appearance, including Ramblin’ Syd Rumpo, Charles & Fiona, Bea Clissold and Julian & Sandy.
All these brought to you by the unforgettable Kenneth Williams et al, and master of ceremonies Kenneth Horne himself!
Tickets: £5.00

townie

Re: Round The Horne
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »

I was looking around the net and came across the Crescent Theatre, Id never heard of this so I looked it up and the address is given as Sheepcote street but the photo shows sign at the end of Sheepcote Street Crescent Theatre next right which would be Ryland Street. Anyone ever been there or know anything about the theatre?

A photo of the Crescent Theatre 1960.

Another photo with signpost.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Spud

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
I have been to The Crescent a few times but it was some years ago believe it is still going. Quite small tends to put on Plays using Semi Professional Actors. Our friend Snooks would probably familiar with The Crescent
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

baz

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »
The Crescent Theatre presents
Round The Horne
22nd and 23rd November 2011 at 7.45pm in The Ron Barber Studio, Crescent Theatre, Birmingham
Fans of nostalgia and 1960s radio comedy, come and join the fun as we recreate a recording of the iconic 1960s radio comedy Round The Horne.
With live music from the Fraser Hayes Four, all your favourite characters will be making an appearance, including Ramblin’ Syd Rumpo, Charles & Fiona, Bea Clissold and Julian & Sandy.
All these brought to you by the unforgettable Kenneth Williams et al, and master of ceremonies Kenneth Horne himself!
Tickets: £5.00

I used to love listening to "Round the Horne"in 70s Germany but what's this I see ? Ramblin'Sid Rumpo ? It was Rambling Sid Rumphold ! I also named a cactus "J.Peasemould Gruntfuttock".
Good old Marty Feldman !

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Spud

This is I believe the 3rd reincarnation of the Crescent Theatre. The original opening in 1924 on the Crescent, the next in 1964 on Cumberland Street and the latest on Sheepcote St adjacent to Brindley Place in 1998.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »
That's the place Phil
Just going back to the subject 'Round The Horne' and Kenneth Horne. He was of course he was a Director of Triplex Glass and lived in Solihull/ Knowle [ I will not give the exact address] . His house was bought a few years by an eminent local Surgeon who my Daughter has worked for over 20 years as his PA.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »
Could I just ask posters who post images to this forum from other forums hosting sites to ensure they are not stamped with that forums name as strictly speaking according to this forum rules I should delete the offending post.

• No spamming. Do not post or send unsolicited pm's advertising something or promoting another website without the permission of the administrator.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
Are you referring to the photos that was posted in 2011.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Could I just ask posters who post images to this forum from other forums hosting sites to ensure they are not stamped with that forums name
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jamesm

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »
That's the place Phil
Just going back to the subject 'Round The Horne' and Kenneth Horne. He was of course he was a Director of Triplex Glass and lived in Solihull/ Knowle [ I will not give the exact address] . His house was bought a few years by an eminent local Surgeon who my Daughter has worked for over 20 years as his PA.
That's a wonderful revelation Spud. I Lived and worked in Solihull for many,many. many years (in the voice of Betty Marsden ;D ) and didn't know that. Thank you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
Spud

The Crescent in Cumberland Street not long after they opened the brand new theatre in 1964, I bet they were not happy when they had to move again some 30 odd years later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy