Author Topic: Blue newspaper  (Read 4878 times)

MrK1_uk

Blue newspaper
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
Hi, my name is Scott. Can anyone remember a local newspaper that was printed on blue paper? My grandparents grew up in Aston and my grandfather had his picture printed on the back sports page of this newspaper around 1956. Can anyone remember the name of the paper? all i know is that if was refered to as 'the blue mail' and was printed on blue paper, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Scott

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Blue newspaper
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum, I remember a Green Mail that was around for a while in the late 50's and there was also of course the Argus which was pink. I am having difficulty remembering a Blue Mail, but there is something at the back of my mind that says you are correct. Perhaps it was only around for a short while?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:26 PM »
See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_FA_Cup_Final
It states, regarding the 1956 cup final, which I gather had some Birmingham team in it, that " The Birmingham Mail set up a temporary press in a Wembley car park to produce a special edition of their Saturday sports paper, the Sports Argus, on blue paper rather than the usual pink. "

Spud

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
Hi, my name is Scott. Can anyone remember a local newspaper that was printed on blue paper? My grandparents grew up in Aston and my grandfather had his picture printed on the back sports page of this newspaper around 1956. Can anyone remember the name of the paper? all i know is that if was refered to as 'the blue mail' and was printed on blue paper, any information would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Scott
I am speaking very much from memory but I am fairly certain that the newspaper you refer to   was NICKNAMED The Blue Mail in some parts of Brum although it was actually printed on Green Paper by The Birmingham Mail. It was a Saturday night Sports Paper  I can only think for it being on Green Paper was not to show favouritism towards Birmingham City FC who play in Blue.As for The Sports Argus this was normally printed on Pink Paper but on May 5th 1956 it was printed in Blue to comemorate Birmingham City FC being in the Cup Final against Manchester City who beat Birmingham 3-1.
The final was famous in as far as Manchester played in an unusual formation withdrawing their Centre Forward [Don Revie] to a deeper postion leaving 2 central attackers this completely bamboozoled the Birmingham Side.The game was also famous for one other incident when Peter Murphy the Birmingham inside left collided with the Manchester Goalkeeper Bert Trautman who broke a bone in his neck.Trautman completed the the game and collected his winners medal .
I was at the Final that day with my Dad and Uncle and cried all the way home .I think that somewhere I still have a copy of the Blue Sports Argus from May 1956. :(

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Gee Gee

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Spud,
       that very same season,I travelled all over the Country,such exotic places as;
Carlise,Torquay,Leyton Orient and Highbury.KROTTEOTR. O0

Spud

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »
Spud,
       that very same season,I travelled all over the Country,such exotic places as;
Carlise,Torquay,Leyton Orient and Highbury.KROTTEOTR. O0
You forgot Albion and the Hawthorns on a Frozen Pitch .Was it Peter Murphy that scored ?
At the Semi at at Hillsborough I lost my Dad and he had my Train Ticket by some miracle I found him, can still see [and hear the crowd] The Crinoline Lady conducting  Keep Right On ,Never forget it.When my Dad passed away I put  my Cup Final Programme in his coffin .I know I'm sad.

Did you ever go to Halifax in the 60s ? There was not any terracing behind the goal we stood on the just mud.  Got locked out at Oxford once. Broke down going to Preston and broke down on the way back from Charlton another time.And we still have never won the Cup.
My Dad used to say 'The Only Cup You'll Ever See is a Cup of Old Jack Taylor's Tea' Happy Days ;D
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Gee Gee

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
Spud.
      That following year 1957 was my last visit to St Andrews for many a year.
I joined the Army in Jan 58,then in the july of 58 I was posted out to Cyprus.
With the exception of a months leave, I remained in Cyprus untli July 1961.
Football was my life and I did not end my playing career (Army) until well into my40s. Happy Days.

I remember the Blue Mail also.

alanmillard

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
Kind regards
Scott
i think it was the sports blue my brother inlaww used to read it and then swap it for the sports argas not sure if i have spelled them correct. alan

blane

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
Hi Everyone  - Happy New Year,I used to deliver the Pink Argus and Blue Mail on my paper round in the early fifties.The Pink Argus was for everything about football ( Professional,Amateur,Works Leagues,School Leagues,etc.)and the Blue Mail was for alternative sports i.e. Boxing,Rugby,Swimming,Athletics,etc.Later the Blue Mail was stopped,and everything was reported in the Pink Argus.As I got older I only read the Argus to see the prices of new houses,it became swamped with adverts.

coventrykid

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
Very interesting stories!
We had a pink sports paper in the Coventry area,  I used to be sent to fetch 'the pink' on Saturday teatimes.

alanmillard

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum, I remember a Green Mail that was around for a while in the late 50's and there was also of course the Argus which was pink. I am having difficulty remembering a Blue Mail, but there is something at the back of my mind that says you are correct. Perhaps it was only around for a short while?

Phil
Hi there was a blue pater it was a sports paper my dad used to buy the argus and my brother inlaw brought the blue mail so they could xchange papers and read the bits that one paper would leave out so they got the best from both papers. alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy