Author Topic: Cox Street West - 1881  (Read 44537 times)

mikejee

Re: Cox Street West - 1881
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:36 PM »
Phil got to it before me, and is correct. No 9 was the cream building next to Kalyal's

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2018, 01:20:06 PM »
Mike

Thanks for the confirmation, and if I'd have known you would be on so soon I'd have left it to you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lesleyanngroves

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
Hiya. I have shown the pic of 9 Cox street west to my mum who lived there with my nan. She said that no 9 is the house with the telegraph pole outside is no.9 and the house next to that on the right was no.8 which is where my great gran lived.
If you have any other photos of this street I would love to see them. Please give my thanks to the gentleman who posted this pic as I am struggling a little finding how this site works at the moment. Thanks
Lesleyanngroves.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
Hiya. I have shown the pic of 9 Cox street west to my mum who lived there with my nan. She said that no 9 is the house with the telegraph pole outside is no.9 and the house next to that on the right was no.8 which is where my great gran lived.
If you have any other photos of this street I would love to see them. Please give my thanks to the gentleman who posted this pic as I am struggling a little finding how this site works at the moment. Thanks
Lesleyanngroves.

If you enter Cox Street West into the box marked search at the top right of this page it will bring up all the posts and photos of Cox Street West. If you enter Balsall Heath into the box it will do the same for the surrounding area.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

LordWilsonVilla

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2019, 03:48:51 AM »
I made many trips to that 'outdoor on the corner'. I used to run for my life on the dark nights I was a boy of the age of 7/8 from the middle of Upper Cox Street. My sister was 4yrs older than me but I was the one to always go as mom thought it wasn't safe for a 12yr old girl on the street late at night. Born at Upper Cox Street, and left at about 11 yrs old. And Upper Cox Street is no longer.

jamesneverjim

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »
Early on in the thread @samw1984 mentioned that Dawkins at No37 was an ancestor and someone else mentioned Number 37 as well.  Attached is a photograph of a camera I own made by Dawkins who would have made the camera in his workshop at No37 at the end of the 19th Century

AWJD

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
Just to clarify for the record, the camera was made by WA Dawkins in 1895 at his premises at 40 Edmund Street. As far as can be determined, he was unrelated to William and Arthur Dawkins (father and son) who were involved in making photographic equipment at 37 Cox Street West. For some reason, William and Arthur were popular names in the various Dawkins clans spread widely over the Midlands and, for my sins, I have inherited both in my name!

suemalings

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »
The Dawkins of 37 Cox Street West actually made the cases and cabinets for the photographic equipment, not the actual cameras etc.   My mother in law is a Dawkins and related to William Thomas Dawkins (born 1840) who was the first of the Dawkins to work with Lorenzo Field, he was the Cabinet Maker so probably owned the company where William originally worked.

William Thomas's mother was Sarah West.  Her daughter, Jane,  married Lorenzo Field.

SAM123456

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2020, 07:37:59 PM »
Hi my gran lived on cox st west too and I remember waiting outside that off license for a grown up to pass who I could trap into purchasing alcohol for me, actually my gran .. I was too young to buy!
Also the bicycle track I remember!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »
Was that the Off License that had the Parrot that swore.My Auntys shop Bradburys Leather goods was round the corner.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

SAM123456

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2020, 08:22:38 PM »
I think it was Mrs kite who had a parrot who swore :) she sold milk/ bread/ cigs and sweets and served us dressed in her nighty!
You could look into her living room, were she would sit, from the shop and I still remember her grumpy face like yesterday - funny!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy