Author Topic: Cox Street West - 1881  (Read 44433 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Cox Street West - 1881
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
Mike,

I just checked,  Fosters was in Balsall Heath rd, so it must have been the property to the left of the outdoor that was 1 & 2 cox Street west.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Breconeer

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
Thanks Phil. I am fairly sure that is not the right corner. (How many corners were there along Cox Street West?). I will quiz my elderly mother this week for more clues. From my dim and distant memory, the shop wasn't such an obvious shopfront shape, and was on a square corner not an angled one - it may be that it was a corner house with one or more of its windows adapted for limited display. The playground I was thinking of was a small tarmac area with swings and a seesaw rather than parkland - but I guess might have been within a corner of the park.

mikejee

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
In 1950 nos 1 & 2 Cox St west were  Beasley Chas. Hy. & Son, tailors. this would have been the next building down, as Fosters were on BHR, so haven't got a picture I'm afraid

enod j

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
Just found this fascinating forum.
My Grandfather was J C Beasley (Jack): Son of C H Beasley the Tailors at 1 and 2 Cox street west.  I remember the shop as a small boy and some of the people.  I particularly remember getting sweets from Mrs Kyte's shop, a few doors up.  Grandfathers window display was based around an old spinning wheel and the fascia had elaborate glass and gilt signage.  He left the shop in the late 60's.    I'd love to find any pictures of the shop if there are any in existence.

Breconeer

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »
Further to my earlier post (No 23) my mother tells me that my father's tailoring workshop was actually upstairs above a doctor's surgery at No 48 Cox Street West - not above a tailors shop and that I was mistaken in recalling that we lived there. Apparently we only camped there for a couple of nights in a single upstairs room at the back during our move from Leominster to Erdington at the start of the 1950s. The tailoring workshop remained there until and beyond the death of my father (Pawel Latusek) at the end of October1954. My memories of being there longer probably arose from being frequently taken to the workshop during my pre-school days.

chrisgee

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Further to my earlier post (No 23) my mother tells me that my father's tailoring workshop was actually upstairs above a doctor's surgery at No 48 Cox Street West - not above a tailors shop and that I was mistaken in recalling that we lived there. Apparently we only camped there for a couple of nights in a single upstairs room at the back during our move from Leominster to Erdington at the start of the 1950s. The tailoring workshop remained there until and beyond the death of my father (Pawel Latusek) at the end of October1954. My memories of being there longer probably arose from being frequently taken to the workshop during my pre-school days.

I belive you are referring to a tailor I worked for as a runner in the late 1950's the workshop was upstairs and was entered vie the back door (Jakeman's Walk) it wasn't on the corner but was about two/ three doors up the St. There were usually about four people working there during the week, pressers and cutters and I think a stitcher.

Breconeer

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »
Hi chrisgee. Sounds like there might have been two tailors workshops perhaps. Checked with my mother today who tells me the entrance to ours wasn't via Jakemans. We had 8 workers. The only name she recalls was a woman called Kitty. When my dad died the business was taken over and run awhile by Joe Stewart (maybe under his previous Polish name) before he moved to a workshop near Bham town hall, taking some workers with him.

chrisgee

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »
Hi chrisgee. Sounds like there might have been two tailors workshops perhaps. Checked with my mother today who tells me the entrance to ours wasn't via Jakemans. We had 8 workers. The only name she recalls was a woman called Kitty. When my dad died the business was taken over and run awhile by Joe Stewart (maybe under his previous Polish name) before he moved to a workshop near Bham town hall, taking some workers with him.

That wouldn't surprise me, there was a lot going on.
around there at that time (unlike now) as i recall the guy who ran the place was Jewish, my last job on a Saturday was to take an envelope of cash to his wife? At a block of flats in Hagley Road.
There was a lady called Kitty who ran a shop further up the road but she wasn't in the rag trade.

dennis watson

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
If you say what number you are interested in, then i'll see if I have a picture of it.these would be from around when the street was demolished in the early 70s
Mike
[/quotei am looking for number 43 i lived than with my mom/dad :) ]

mikejee

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 11:40:05 AM »
Dennis
My directory lists no 43 as part of lincoln st motors, but here is the picture I have of the houses next to LSM. It is not too clear , as i had to reduce it to fit on forum

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
Mike & Dennis

I have cropped the photo & enlarged it so it conforms with the sites rules on upload limits but still shows a larger image.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy