Author Topic: staniforth street costa green  (Read 4418 times)

howard

staniforth street costa green
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »
Hi everyone I grew up as a kid in Staniforth street but I have no photos of how it used to be in the sixties before all the old houses were demolished. Our was no 43 next to a shop run by Mr + Mrs short that sold food and was a tiny cafe too. At the back of our house a Mr Smith had a little business making exhaust pipes for motorbikes I think. I would be really grateful if anyone has any old photos of this street. Cheers from Nuala.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: staniforth street costa green
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
Hi Howard

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find photos of Staniforth St in short supply as other have asked before. I was able to come up with one very old one that you can find at post #44 on this thread,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,3327.22.html

You might also find some discussion of the area.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

howard

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
Thanks Phil I am very surprised there are some pics, cheers.

dekcon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
Hi nuala I lived in staniforth st opposite tom,s café and I think you lived next door to the café my mom worked with Ida in the café and I had friends called the howards we was the dennis ,s we lived at 82 I remember smiths at the back of café hope you get back to me 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
Hi Dekcon,

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately howard (nuala) hasn't visited the site since 2011, but as he is still a member and has access to the site there is no reason why he might not reply. Since his last post was made I have come across another photo of Staniforth St, but I'm afraid that it does not show the café in question.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

dekcon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
thanking you if you any other pics of staniforth st  would be grateful

Akatarawa

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
When I saw Staniforth Street the memory cog wheels began to grind around slowly, was there a labour exchange or similar there ?  When I was an apprentice at Lucas in the 50s, I remember having to go somewhere to register for exemption from National Service.

On the other hand, I went to the CAT at Gosta Green, so that may be when I saw the name Staniforth Street.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »
Akatarawa

Yes there was a labour exchange in Staniforth St, it was the last one I ever signed on at. Which must have been around 1966 and I used to get the princely sum of £4 per week. I think the building is still there still but it's student accommodation these days.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Akatarawa

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:51 AM »
Thanks Phil. I may have been to that labour exchange more than once.  I think we had to confirm we were still apprenticed and get deferment each year.

howardfamilyof7

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
hi my name is bridget howard and used to play with connie dennis lol

townie

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
Hi Dekcon,

Welcome to the forum, unfortunately howard (nuala) hasn't visited the site since 2011, but as he is still a member and has access to the site there is no reason why he might not reply. Since his last post was made I have come across another photo of Staniforth St, but I'm afraid that it does not show the café in question.
Hope you can get in touch this is one of the things the forum try's to make happen.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy