Author Topic: What a load of rubbish  (Read 6054 times)

Jacqueline

What a load of rubbish
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:57:21 PM »
Our government want to go to fortnightly refuse collections. Indeed some area's are already only collected fortnightly but thankfully we are still weekly with fortnightly recyled products.

I think collections every two weeks will cause heath problems. God knows we have enough rats even now. The though of bubonic [probably spelt wrong] plague springs to mind.

We are also going to be charged if our general rubbish is more than the government see fit. There seems no consideration for the size of a family and hence i can see this from two points.

Our house consists of just myself and hubby so i do not expect we would be charged for extra rubbish. Next door are a couple with four children. Three of them are handicapped and all wear nappies. They have a fantastic amount of rubbish. I do feel for them because i remember the amount of junk we threw out each week when we were a family of seven.

On the other hand there is the recycle issue. We have two bins, a blue for paper and a green for rinsed out cans, plastic and glass bottles. We put ours out each fortnight. Neighbours did try for 2 weeks running but put the wrong stuff in hence the binmen did not take it. Now they simply do not bother.

However i still think it wrong to charge each home for excess rubbish without considering the amount in the family. Plus we pay for this in community charge so why should we be charged again. ::)

Andy Capp

Re: What a load of rubbish
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:29:08 PM »
JACQUELINE
I AM ALL FOR THIS RECYCLING WE ARE STARTING TO DO THIS IN  THIS COUNTRY. BUT I FEEL WE ARE JUST STANDING ON THE SPOT BECAUSE A LOT OF OTHER COUNTRYS ARE NOT. YESTERDAY CANADA SAID THEY WONT BE ABLE MEET THE POLLUTION TARGETS SET. THEY FOUND HUGE OIL SAND DEPOSITES SOME TIME AGO. BUT IT WAS TO EXPENSIVE TO EXTRACT. BUT NOW WITH THE PRICE OF OIL ITS MORE FEESABLE TO EXTRACT.THEY,VE GOT THAT MUCH OIL SAND THEY ARE AS RICH IN OIL AS SOME OF THE ARAB COUNTRYS. IF ALL THE COUNTRYS OF THE WORLD  DONT START TO PULL TOGETHER ON POLLUTION &  RECYCLING. I THINK OUR GREAT GRAND CHILDREN WILL SUFFER. ANDY CAPP

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
jacky  you have a dam good point why should you have to pay twice  its not our fault that when you come from the shops you've got so much packing box with in a box if say tesco cut down on there packing you would not have so much and you would not have to pay extra to get rid of it now some p.r.a.t has come up with every two weeks but where do you keep it if your bin is full or you just have black bags the cats rip them open fox dogs rats you name it now if you put them out you can get a fine they say that they can save money but i can not see how one week  two bags  two weeks=4 bags half way round they get full so off to the tip they go is it to cut down the dust bin men so they have to do twice the amount of work  whats going on
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Graham

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
Andy is quite right, things can't go on the way they have done. For one thing the population is always on the increase, packaging is always on the increase yet land fill sites will have to diminish and finally dissapear altogether.

Here in Belgium we don't have all that many places that we can use for land fill sites (anyway they pollute the water that we drink), and recycling has been going on for some time now. England can't escape from this trend, that will become law in the EEC.

We have two main bins in solid plastic and cat & dog proof, grey one for household rubbish, green one for kitchen rubbish, stuff that can be turned into compost. The grey bin is collected every two weeks as is the green one, on alternate weeks so they can use the same men and transport. There is are chips attached to the bins and they are automatically weighed and registered by the lorry that empties them, so you pay for the amount of mess you make. You have the choice of composting your own kitchen rubbish, if you have the room, and we get a free composting installation plus free lessons on how to make compost. All plastic bottles, milk cartons and tins go into a blue bag and is collected free every two weeks. Paper and cardboard are also collected, free, every month. Wood, old planks, cupboards, chairs, settees ETC, every 6 months. Another 6 monthly collection is of things like old mattresses, none wooden furniture, carpets, cycles, stoves ETC, all free, but they will come anytime you ask for a fee of £15. Twice a year they collect all dangerous rubbish such as left overs of paint, motor oil, thinners, acids, car batteries, chip fat and oil ETC, all free.

This list of stuff we have to sort out for recycling is endless, but this has reduced the amount of rubbish that in the past was tipped or burnt by over 50%!!! If we are very careful sorting out our rubbish we only have to pay for the grey bin, for us this amounts to about £32 a year. As for spreading diseases, we are only allowed to put the rubbish out on the street after 18:00 on the evening before the collection, so no rubbish is left rotting on the streets. Well worth the effort for future generations, don't you think?

Batman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:56:40 AM »
Graham,...... Yes the Dutch also have that program of different bins each week, thats why the streets are so clean, for me in my village every Friday  we have the gray containers picked up around midday, the green containers a week later around 10 am,  glass bottles we put out side and they come and collect them,and all the rubbish that comes through the door every day and papers too,and that way we don't get any plastic bags cluttering the country side
So maybe the English cities will follow suit, ( don't think so, too easy for them)
Sex is like air....it's not important unless you are'nt getting any...

frederick

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:31:11 PM »
hi
here in west wales we have 2 bags a black one for bin rubbish and a orange one for recycleable rubbish and it is working down here
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Bannion

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
Things have to change I accept and it is going to be a learning curve for a large number of people in this country.
However I do believe that charging people, by weight of rubbish,  will result in a lot of fly tipping, depositing in council refuse, road side, bins let alone the bins of unsuspecting householders.
Batman/Graham.  What is the situation for people who live in apartments without groundspace to store the refuse bins?  I can but presume there are communal bins in reserved areas so how do they charge for those?  There could be other means that I have not seen but it cannot be stored in the apartments surely?

Batman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
Bannion.... Well, Here  Mainland Europe, ;D, they also have high rise flats, and on each floor level, there is a shaft that drops down to the basement, each floor has a small door which people can put their  household rubbish in, you can only open the door with a key, ( and in that key there is a code) which tell the council which floor and which apartment used it, the door is of a certain size where you can only put in one bag at a time in, they then send you the bill for it each month, and it works,................John 2000 ;D
Sex is like air....it's not important unless you are'nt getting any...

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »
bannion well ill go with that we had the same in Spain but no key the cost was about 40 pound a year to take our rubbish away our rate call it that was about  400 uro per year plus the 40 pound a year I'm paying about 1200 pound a year now in the uk in Spain still had schools still had fire still had police still had men doing the roads (now and then) water was a bit more but you did not wast it anyway
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Graham

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
Things have to change I accept and it is going to be a learning curve for a large number of people in this country.
However I do believe that charging people, by weight of rubbish,  will result in a lot of fly tipping, depositing in council refuse, road side, bins let alone the bins of unsuspecting householders.
Batman/Graham.  What is the situation for people who live in apartments without groundspace to store the refuse bins?

Bannion, I have no idea how it works here with high rise, as there is very little of that where I live, but I'm sure that there is the same system of paying by weight. If you are really interested I can find out.

Water, in Belgium they have water meters, for those connected to the mains, and it has been this way ever since I moved here in the 60's. Saves an awful lot of unnecessary wasted water.

As for the fly tipping, yes there was quite a lot of that in the beginning, but it was quickly cleaned up and many heavy fines dealt out. Now it is very uncommon to see this type of rubbish anywhere as there are now ample facilities to dispose of any kind of waste at a reasonable price, or free of charge.

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:43:05 PM »
I moved to a water meter. Best thing i could have done. My water bills are between 50 - 70 quid for six months. ;D

This recycle thing. What about the disabled? My mom has her rubbish collected as early as 5 am. She as been given the bins to recycle and tries her best. Her paper bins are put out on Monday by my daughters. But when they come to collect on Tues what do they do....throw the bloody bins with no care where thay land. My mom then has to try with the aid of her stick to get the bin back in. I tell her to wait until i get there but she worries [is 80 this year].
She now has the green bin for cans, have told her not to bother with them as she cannot get them back in. She is surrounded with young couples. Do any of them think it would be nice to put her bin by her door......do they heck. ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy