Author Topic: parkinson cowan / southalls / brookhill rd / bolton rd /bridge st west hockley  (Read 14994 times)

baznkazthebrummies

Hello everyone. my wife and i have been scouring the net for old photos to make a little cd for our mothers. They, like us, are interested in the way Birmingham has changed over the last millennium. We are now on the lookout for photos of Parkinson cowan flaxley rd stechford, southalls alum rock rd, brookhill rd alum rock Bolton rd small heath and bridge st west hockley. . any help would be greatly appreciated
regards O0
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

Phil

• Account Closed
Hi there

Welcome to our little forum, here are a few photos of Bridge St West to start you off. I'll see what others I can sort you out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
An early photo of the inside of Southalls on the Alum Rock Rd and a photo of the Brookhill Tavern on Brookhill Rd

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Bolton Rd, it is Bolton Rd Small Heath you are looking for? I'm not a 100% sure of the one with the tram it looks more like Arthur Street to me by the tram depot.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
I'm afraid I could only manage the rear entrance of Parkinson Cowan, but I hope these photos will be of some use to you. If I can help you with anything else please just ask.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baznkazthebrummies

hi phil
thanks for a very quick response. yes it is bolton rd small heath we are after. the photos you have put here are great. i am quite sure our mothers will have a great trip down memory lane with these. any more you can get us will obviously be greatly appreciated.
regards

berniew

southalls

berniew

Here's a short clip about slum conditions in  Bolton Road it says Handsworth on the title but it is Small Heath
http://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-16081973-bolton-road-handsworth-slum-houses/MediaEntry/19758.html
  Bernie

berniew

Aprotest against slum conditions in Bolton Road hosted by a very young Edwina Curry
 Bernie

baznkazthebrummies

wow!! many thanks berniew.. my wife recognised the clip..where the councillors are talking is almost outside her front door. she can't wait to show her mum. looking at the road then amd looking at it now... i just can not beleive people were allowed to live like that.. mind you though..what was that mother thinking letting that poor little girl hold 2 rats...didnt they know about veils disease and other diseases back then...
regards

berniew

I think a slum landlord had bought them and conditions were borderline , it was a bit of a short cut up the housing list , of course the landlord did well out of it but the tennants got better homes quicker , they hoped
 Bernie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy