Author Topic: Re: Bristol St Area  (Read 7997 times)

alanmillard

Re: Bristol St Area
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
Mike

I never used Kent St baths at all and I knew very little about it.  Like a lot of baths it had more than one pool, it had a separate womens bath in Gooch St and first and second class baths in the main building.

In fact I have just been reading up on Kent St baths and it says that the Gala bath that was built in the remodelling of the baths in 1933 was destroyed in the Bombing of 1940.

So it is quite possible that your photo was of part of Kent street baths after all.

Phil
hi phil Kent st Baths was still going in the fifties as it was our school swimming baths as i went to Hope st school till 1952 and the baths was still open then. alan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
hope i have not messed up your Brain to much.

Alan,

Don't worry about it, both Mike and myself enjoy a challenge like this.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »
Mike

I never used Kent St baths at all and I knew very little about it.  Like a lot of baths it had more than one pool, it had a separate womens bath in Gooch St and first and second class baths in the main building.

In fact I have just been reading up on Kent St baths and it says that the Gala bath that was built in the remodelling of the baths in 1933 was destroyed in the Bombing of 1940.

So it is quite possible that your photo was of part of Kent street baths after all.

Phil
hi phil do you think the baths or pool i have been on about could have been the seperate womens baths belonging to kent st and suposedly they say was in gooch st. although it was more bristol rd, i cant think for the life of me where else the womens baths could have been. alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
im sure it was in ashley street that ran up by kent street baths
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
Roy

Ashley Street was a couple of streets over from Kent Street, that is until they did away with it in the 60's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
hi phil
           I'm sure that the front was in Ashley street and the back was in wrentham behind the flicks may be wrong Phil

and remember Phil that all round there got bomb out almost up to the Bristol road

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
Roy

If you look at the map, the black area fronting Kent St is the baths as you will see it does not go anywhere near Wrentham St or Ashley St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
phil i was on about the female baths iv got it in my head that there was two parts to the baths but like iv said phil i could well be wrong it was well over 60 years ago

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Roy

According to the book I have The City of Birmingham Baths Department 1851-1951 the Womens Bath was in Gooch St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Here's the entry for beginning of west part of Gooch St for 1939:

GOOCH STREET (5), 116 Bromsgrove street to 150 Belgrave road. MAP F 5 &6, G6.
WEST SIDE.

27 Priory Knitting Co. Ltd. (The), knitted goods mfrs

Corporation Swimming & Private Baths for Women (D. L. Grant, sec. & commercial. manager)
here is Kent st

One rather peculiar thing is that , if you look in the official aprt of the directory at swimming baths, it dpesn't seem to list eithe Kent St baths , or the associated Gooch St ones
Mike

alanmillard

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
hi phil do you think the baths or pool i have been on about could have been the seperate womens baths belonging to kent st and suposedly they say was in gooch st. although it was more bristol rd, i cant think for the life of me where else the womens baths could have been. alan
hi peops i lived in Barford st till 1952 and i cant remember a swimming baths in gooch st. alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy