Author Topic: Holmes & Son - Furniture  (Read 4855 times)

oldbarney

Re: Holmes & Son - Furniture
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Well, a small world gets even smaller.
I remember the Gondola Milk Bar and going there a few times in the mid sixties. We did not go often because I was pals with a chap whose family ran the cafe between Mansell Road and Aubrey Road and also my best pal's father ran the George and Dragon pub, so we hung out there a lot.
I do not know Janet Tatten but another old pal (I had a lot in those days) lived behind the laundry shop which was managed by his father.

Cherie, Yes,I do remember her quite well, Cherie McCollugh or similar I think. She was best friends for a while with a girl called Barbara whose family lived next door to her above the Blackburn Assurance office. We all hung out around 1962-1964. I know Barbara later emigrated to South Africa. The last time I saw Cherie was in the late 70's. She was walking along a road in Stechford, I was a passenger in a car so did not stop but i know it was her, she was easily recognisable.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
Well, a small world gets even smaller.
I remember the Gondola Milk Bar and going there a few times in the mid sixties. We did not go often because I was pals with a chap whose family ran the cafe between Mansell Road and Aubrey Road and also my best pal's father ran the George and Dragon pub, so we hung out there a lot.
I do not know Janet Tatten but another old pal (I had a lot in those days) lived behind the laundry shop which was managed by his father.

Cherie, Yes,I do remember her quite well, Cherie McCollugh or similar I think. She was best friends for a while with a girl called Barbara whose family lived next door to her above the Blackburn Assurance office. We all hung out around 1962-1964. I know Barbara later emigrated to South Africa. The last time I saw Cherie was in the late 70's. She was walking along a road in Stechford, I was a passenger in a car so did not stop but i know it was her, she was easily recognisable.

If it's the same Cherie  -  I never knew her surname  -  she'd be smaller-than-average; slim (but weren't we all in those days!); with long red hair; and she liked wearing leather coats and boots.

Could you describe her friend Barbara, please, I might know her.

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
The Gondola Milk Bar, Coventry Rd.

Cheers, Phil!    It doesn't look much from the outside but it was a great place to hang out in the 60's.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
planetmalc

I frequented many just like it in Balsall Heath & Nechells and even one or two in the town in the sixties.
Make Love Not War

oldbarney

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »
Yes! That would be Cherie. She did not have long red hair when i knew her but that may have been an earlier time '62-'64. I seem to remember she had a slightly crooked smile !!
Barbara was a little taller and of fuller figure she was quite attractive, at least I thought so at the time.
She had medium fair hair is the style of the time (Cilla Black, Lulu) and brown eyes. I don't remember much more. I used to have photos but they have been lost over time.
Not sure how long they stayed friends as we all drifted apart around 1964

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Barbara was a little taller and of fuller figure she was quite attractive, at least I thought so at the time.
She had medium fair hair is the style of the time (Cilla Black, Lulu) and brown eyes. I don't remember much more. I used to have photos but they have been lost over time.
Not sure how long they stayed friends as we all drifted apart around 1964

I don't recall anyone of that description, but thanks anyway.

Michael Treadwell

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
Wow! What can I say?  Phil, you're the man.
That is exactly what I have been looking for over the last few weeks, months even. You have made my day and I suspect my friend in the USDA his day also. Thank you.
Dare I say it? If you have any other photos of  the surrounding shops/area I would love to see them.

Thanks ahgain
OldBarney

Michael (Micky) Treadwell here. What a blast from the past

Waseem

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »
Brings back many wonderful memories, I remember going to Holmes with my parent's as a child..... The shop has been closed for many years, only recently refurbishment has begun.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
nice to see new people joining our forum  welcome all  O0 O0