Author Topic: Holmes & Son - Furniture  (Read 10914 times)

oldbarney

Holmes & Son - Furniture
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I am desperately seeking an old photo of the Holmes & Son furniture shop on the Coventry road in Small Heath from the 60's - 70's. The shop was in a run of about a dozen shops that ran from Mansel Road to Dora Road and was opposite the park. A friend of mine who worked there in the 60's emigrated to the USA and it would be nice to find a photo to send him and revive old memories. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
OldBarney

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Holmes & Son - Furniture
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi There oldbarney

Welcome to the forum, this photo is tagged Holmes & Son 670 -673 Coventry Rd and was taken in 1973 will that do?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbarney

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »
Wow! What can I say?  Phil, you're the man.
That is exactly what I have been looking for over the last few weeks, months even. You have made my day and I suspect my friend in the USDA his day also. Thank you.
Dare I say it? If you have any other photos of  the surrounding shops/area I would love to see them.

Thanks ahgain
OldBarney

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
Hi only glad to be of some help, I have quite a few photos of the Coventry Rd and Small Heath area if you look around the site you will find quite a few that have been posted over the years.

if you want any specific location just say and I'll take a look and see if I can help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbarney

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Thanks Phil,
My pals and i used to live and hang out around the Tennyson Road / Mansel Road / Coventry Road corners during the 1960's.
One of my pals lived behind the Court Steam Laundry to the left of Holmes's shop in your photo, he used to work with George Holmes.  Another pal lived in the George & Dragon pub on the corner of Coventry Road and Mansel Road and yet another a short distance up Mansel Road. We have gone our separate ways around the world but some of us are still in touch and have been remembering the old days via email.
I have started to  look through the site for any photos as you suggest and found several of interest but if you have any other photos of the direct area around the George and Dragon pub I would absolutely LOVE to see them.
Many many thanks for your time and help
OldBarney

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Hi OB

Sorry I can't help you with Tennyson Rd or Mansel Rd at the moment, but I do have a photo of the Geoge & Dragon.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
OB

I sorted these few photos of  "The Cov" from down the end of it where you lived to go with the photo of The George & Dragon.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbarney

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Hi Phil,
Wonderful photos, thank you very much for your help. You must have a very large collection of photos from many decades I can only begin to think of the amount of time it would have taken to amass.
I had forgotten that the George & Dragon had an 'Outdoor' but the memories soon come flooding back.
Other shops I now remember in that section were Nibbs the tobacconist, Blackburn Assurance and Court Steam Laundry (which appears in the Holmes & Son photo). There was also a grocers, a chemist and a newsagent but I cannot remember their names.
I do remember others shops a bit lower down between Mansel Road and Aubrey Road. There was Hardings bread and cakes on the corner of Mansel and a bit further down there was Staggs (Later Jones) cafe and Chandlers the greengrocer amongst others.
If you have any photos of these old shops and can spare the time to sort them out you would make an old chap very happy................
Here's to old times
Cheers

AnnaBradley

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Just stumbled upon this site while looking for an old picture of The George & Dragon in Small Heath, and what a find. Excellent.

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
Other shops I now remember in that section were Nibbs the tobacconist, Blackburn Assurance and Court Steam Laundry (which appears in the Holmes & Son photo). There was also a grocers, a chemist and a newsagent but I cannot remember their names.

I used to knock around your patch in the 60's, but a bit nearer town (specifically the Gondola coffee bar, which was opposite Gray's, the motor-cycle dealers).    Two of our regulars lived/worked down by Mansel Road: Janet Tatten worked at the Court Steam Laundry, and another girl  -  Cherie  -  was the daughter of the woman who ran the Helen Marie ladies' hairdressers shop by the George & Dragon.    Did you know either of them?     

I think the chemist's was Wilkin's.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
The Gondola Milk Bar, Coventry Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy