Author Topic: Holmes & Son - Furniture  (Read 10922 times)

oldbarney

Re: Holmes & Son - Furniture
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Well, a small world gets even smaller.
I remember the Gondola Milk Bar and going there a few times in the mid sixties. We did not go often because I was pals with a chap whose family ran the cafe between Mansell Road and Aubrey Road and also my best pal's father ran the George and Dragon pub, so we hung out there a lot.
I do not know Janet Tatten but another old pal (I had a lot in those days) lived behind the laundry shop which was managed by his father.

Cherie, Yes,I do remember her quite well, Cherie McCollugh or similar I think. She was best friends for a while with a girl called Barbara whose family lived next door to her above the Blackburn Assurance office. We all hung out around 1962-1964. I know Barbara later emigrated to South Africa. The last time I saw Cherie was in the late 70's. She was walking along a road in Stechford, I was a passenger in a car so did not stop but i know it was her, she was easily recognisable.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
Well, a small world gets even smaller.
I remember the Gondola Milk Bar and going there a few times in the mid sixties. We did not go often because I was pals with a chap whose family ran the cafe between Mansell Road and Aubrey Road and also my best pal's father ran the George and Dragon pub, so we hung out there a lot.
I do not know Janet Tatten but another old pal (I had a lot in those days) lived behind the laundry shop which was managed by his father.

Cherie, Yes,I do remember her quite well, Cherie McCollugh or similar I think. She was best friends for a while with a girl called Barbara whose family lived next door to her above the Blackburn Assurance office. We all hung out around 1962-1964. I know Barbara later emigrated to South Africa. The last time I saw Cherie was in the late 70's. She was walking along a road in Stechford, I was a passenger in a car so did not stop but i know it was her, she was easily recognisable.

If it's the same Cherie  -  I never knew her surname  -  she'd be smaller-than-average; slim (but weren't we all in those days!); with long red hair; and she liked wearing leather coats and boots.

Could you describe her friend Barbara, please, I might know her.

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
The Gondola Milk Bar, Coventry Rd.

Cheers, Phil!    It doesn't look much from the outside but it was a great place to hang out in the 60's.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
planetmalc

I frequented many just like it in Balsall Heath & Nechells and even one or two in the town in the sixties.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

oldbarney

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »
Yes! That would be Cherie. She did not have long red hair when i knew her but that may have been an earlier time '62-'64. I seem to remember she had a slightly crooked smile !!
Barbara was a little taller and of fuller figure she was quite attractive, at least I thought so at the time.
She had medium fair hair is the style of the time (Cilla Black, Lulu) and brown eyes. I don't remember much more. I used to have photos but they have been lost over time.
Not sure how long they stayed friends as we all drifted apart around 1964

planetmalc

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Barbara was a little taller and of fuller figure she was quite attractive, at least I thought so at the time.
She had medium fair hair is the style of the time (Cilla Black, Lulu) and brown eyes. I don't remember much more. I used to have photos but they have been lost over time.
Not sure how long they stayed friends as we all drifted apart around 1964

I don't recall anyone of that description, but thanks anyway.

Michael Treadwell

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
Wow! What can I say?  Phil, you're the man.
That is exactly what I have been looking for over the last few weeks, months even. You have made my day and I suspect my friend in the USDA his day also. Thank you.
Dare I say it? If you have any other photos of  the surrounding shops/area I would love to see them.

Thanks ahgain
OldBarney

Michael (Micky) Treadwell here. What a blast from the past

Waseem

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »
Brings back many wonderful memories, I remember going to Holmes with my parent's as a child..... The shop has been closed for many years, only recently refurbishment has begun.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
nice to see new people joining our forum  welcome all  O0 O0

Continental

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
My dad had a shop a few doors up from Mr Holmes and I remember him and his wife. They were both wonderful people.
Used to go past there on the way to school several twice a day as had home dinners

rag1943

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »
The Son was Robert (bobby) Holmes my best friend at Oldknow Road Secondary school.
His dad made a recreation room for Robert(bobby) and his mates to use for playing music etc.
This room was above the shop looking over Coventry Road.
Photo shows part of rec. room with some friends Dave Currier, unknown, and Robert Goodby.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy