Author Topic: Family history research  (Read 6650 times)

stormswift

Family history research
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
Hello all.

I have stumbled across this forum while trying to trace pictures / information about the streets and areas that ancestors lived. From what I have read so far there are quite a few knowledgeable people here, so I was wondering if I could get a little help on a couple of things.
The first is trying to pin down the address of my fathers grandparents. I have them recorded from 1912 through to 1961 at what appears to me to be the same address. They lived in Aston @ 6 back 278 Witton Road. It also called 6 Swan Terrace and 6 Court 14, both found on electoral rolls between 274 and 278 Witton Road entries. I have been unable to locate this address as yet with my best guess being on the attached map. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm if I am right or if not point me in the right direction

many thanks Steve

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Family history research
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »
Hi Steve

What I can tell you is 274-278 Witton Rd were located between Trinity Rd & The Broadway onlt a few doors down drom Smiths Gun Barrel Works. So it looks as if you have located the correct place on your own.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stormswift

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Thats great thx. On the map it looks like 2 blocks of 4 houses on Witton road with what I assume is an alleyway or passageway that gives access to court behind. That places it where the kingdom hall car park is now I presume

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
Steve

They look like what they used to call tunnel courts to me. Meaning they were accessed by means of a 3ft wide entry passage that went though the houses on the street frontage hence the name tunnel courts.
This photo shows Witton Rd I think Swan Terrace would have been about where the bus is om the right hand side. In fact I think the factory building on the right fronting the street would be the gun barrel works or whatever replaced it.
Use the sliding bar to view all the photo if you have to.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stormswift

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »

Thats brilliant thx Phil, can I ask do you know anything about churches ?

If so could you suggest a church in the area to begin searching for a birth as I know nothing of churchs. I am having no luck in finding a birth index for my mothers grandfather, so will start to see if I can come across him in a church record. I have 7 addresses for him from 1898 till 1919. It appears he stayed in the same vicinity.

28 Weyman Street 1898. This recorded on his militia record. Perhaps should read 'Weaman'
11 Cromwell Street 1899
38 New Bartholomew Street 1900. Not sure he lived here, it is recorded on his marriage cert but his wife is recorded as living at no. 40. So perhaps just an address of convenience?
35 Duke Street 1901
3 back 41 Ashted Road 1903. Should this be Ashted Row? again recorded on his militia record.
12 Rupert Street 1911
14 Leicester Square, Great Lister Street. This occurs all through his WW1 service record. Would this be 'Lister Square' ?

Perhaps St Bartholomew's be a good place to start ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
Steve

I think the church that was nearest would be Christchurch on the corner of Victoria Rd and Witton Rd.

Yes it could very well be Weaman St off Steelhouse Lane, Cromwell St was in Nechells as were Lister Square, Ashted Row, Rupert St. New Bartholemew St was Masshouse and Duke St Gosta green.

Which all were within walking distance of each other, would you like me to sort out some photos of these places?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stormswift

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
If you have any pictures of any of those areas that would be great.
Thx for the pointer to christchurch Ill look at starting the search there.

mikejee

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
confirmation on a 1889 map of court 14 .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »
Steve

Here are what I could find.

Weaman St that ran from Steelhouse Lane to Bath Street
Duke Street that ran from Coleshill St to Gosta Green
Cromwell St that ran from Great Lister St to Rocky Lane

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Hi Stormswift here's a link to an index of Birmingham churches , just scroll down they're in alphabetical order with locations
http://www.bham.de/index_churches.html
Bernie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
Here are another three locations, I'm afraid I can't help with New Bartholemew St.

Lister Square off Great Lister St
Ashted Row (the Dartmouth St end)
Rupert St that ran from Great Lister St to Rocky Lane.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy