Author Topic: Should Beckham get a nighthood?  (Read 7972 times)

john2000

Re: Should Beckham get a nighthood?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 08:49:17 PM »
Then,  why all this fuss about money for honers thing, ? if the committee is made up of fellow citizens, or is it because " members of the committee are of the same club. ". ? John 2000 ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 09:12:53 PM »
A point which is often overlooked is that a selection boards sits and chooses those who are to be honoured. This committee is made up of fellow citizens not of Lords and Ladies. It's a democratic process, not elitist and an indication of the society which we are part of.

Speaking from experience, I would say "that's a load of cobblers!".

Langstraat

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »
"that's a load of cobblers!"
How succinctly put Graham.
 I take this opportunity to correct an earlier statement I made and apologise for my error. The commitee who vet the nonomies is made up from fellow decorated sports personalities.

You may find this informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_honours_system#Honorary_awards
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

frederick

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 10:20:31 PM »
hi bannion, it looks like the unions contribute a lot of money to the labour govenment and are going to have a lot more say at what gose on, the summer of discontent erery one wants to strike. what do you say   ???
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Graham

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 12:30:13 AM »
How succinctly put Graham.

Langstraat, you of all people should know by now that I'm a blabbermouth, that's my trade mark.  :-[

No offence was intended, it was just that you struck a sensitive nerve. Thanks for the link.

john2000

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 10:21:49 AM »
At last, at last, something we can all say with out insults or snide remarks, we all have our own point of view, which may differ from some of the other members of the forum ( I was going to say board) but thought better of it,  :),
There are, on both sides of the government, memebers that use their power that is given to them by the people, for thier own ends,.... but as it has been pointed out, Beckham has done well for himself, he has acheved hights that many of us  could only dream of, ... good luck to the guy, and I hope many future footballers learn from him,.............John 2000.

Bannion

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »
Fred.
Never been a union man and have never had cause to consider being one.

They have been a force for good, I believe, in the distant past, for the 'working man' when business owners would, if allowed, take advantage of their employees.
Whatever they may pay into the Labour coffers is, due to the diminishing numbers of their membership, far less than in their heyday.  Considering what I believe to be the make up of this government they get the bulk of their money from other sources so the days of a pint and sandwiches at Downing Street is a thing of history.
Things have moved on....       

Langstraat

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »
They certainly have Bannion. Although previously I would never openly vote labour (it goes against the grain for me) I reckon they have done a good job since Thatcher was ousted by the short sighted electorate. I always looked upon Blair as Maggie's love child and he seemed to carry on where she left off regarding the emasculation of the union strongholds. Through their tenure Gordon Brown has been in charge of the purse strings of the economic re growth of the country. I think he's done a valiant job. I like the cut of his gib :) My only concern is who will take on the chancellorship after he moves into the Head of State role. Hopefully whoever does take on the role will do only in name alone under the direction of Brown. I never thought I would see the day, but come the next election I may vote for labour but only if Brown continues to steer the ship as well as he has done.

If this thread as moved too much off topic I'm sure it'll be it moved elsewhere
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Langstraat

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
David Beckham tonight.
Brilliant
Class
The old one, two. He gets the ball. He passes ithe ball and its a goal.

frederick

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »
thats whot he is payed to do some are good some are better   :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

john2000

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »
He a'nt so brilliant, only the other night, I put a ball right into the net, and the crowd went wild, then a voice said  "have you finished sweeping the drive yet"?  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy