Author Topic: Should Beckham get a nighthood?  (Read 7971 times)

Jacqueline

Should Beckham get a nighthood?
« on: June 01, 2007, 10:55:29 PM »
Okies what do you think

I have no problems with David being a sir....but lady Beckham.. do me a favour.

Graham

Re: Should Beckham get a nighthood?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 11:54:05 PM »
I have a lot of problems (objections) to many of these British awards, rewards, titles, recognition, as they are, in general, connected to how much revenue (tax's) that you've generated, not to what a person has actually done for their country. If Beckham is now living, and paying tax in the States, I don't see him standing all that much chance. It will all depend on how much the Treasury has earned off him in the past.

Look at the British world cup team of 1966, about 40 years later they were all awarded an MBE, even the lad who made the tea got one  ???

Be honest, what has Beckham done for Britain? Same goes for his Mrs., Posh ??? Beckham may have earned a name running after a ball for about an hour, but that isn't contributing all that much to British society. As for British football in general, it is only world famous for the hooligans that it lets lose on the continent, back home they are little lambs.

At the height of the Heizel (don't know how you spell it in English) Drama, Brussels, when Liverpool fans killed 39 Juventus fans, I, as Brit living in Belgium, I took the full brunt of these hooligan's deeds. Some people at my work wouldn't talk to me for weeks after that! Eventually they came round realizing, through me, that not all Brits are killer hooligans. Brits living abroad, adapting themselves and keeping their noses clean, are far bigger ambassadors to Britain than any footballer could ever be.

john2000

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »
Well, I've been living overseas for years so I must be an ambassador for England, and I've been good, ( no problems with the police), 8)

YES, I like the sound of that,..... SIR John, or even John OBE, yes that would sound good down at the domino club..... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:33:34 AM »
Graham,.. you talk about people being unfriendly, .... let me tell about a time when I was living in a small village in the alps in France, at the time I was living in an apartment, ( I was the only English guy there ) we had France vs England,
so up went the flag, boos from the French, and legpulling..all week it was "We will beat the English,and all that, and more the wine flowed the louder they became,

Well the big day came, even at work the boss, said "If England wins, I will buy you champagne, every one was laughing" naa, the English wont win,

That evening, ( remember I was living in a block of apartments ) in every home the TV was on and so was the Match, when France scored a goal, the whole world cheered out loud, the noise was unbelievable, from every home the cheers, every one came on to the balcony, then.......the English scored a goal, not a sound,,
all but for one little guy with a flag outside "here we go, here we go, here we go,"
but then France got another goal, again the screams and the shouts filled the air,

Well at the end of the game it was France 2, England 3, the town was still, no one was around, the bars where empty, not even a cat walk the streets, it was as if death had visited the town, it was still, only the sound of the wind blowing throw the trees,
And a single voice of an Englishman, screaming at the top of his voice "we won", we won,...

I didn't get any champagne, but who cares,.... we won.....ha,ha,ha,  ;D

Langstraat

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
In my book he certainly deserves a Knighthood. He's been totally dedicated to his sport since a child. He is known throughout the world in much the same way that Pele is/was. He has captured media attention in every country around the globe and although there have been a few transgressions which have been hyped up by the press has earned more revenue for the UK than any other citizen. His move abroad was enforced he would have remained with M.U.F.C. for his entire career had they not of cashed in on his fame and sold him as a commodity. He is the role model for many and his appearance on the pitch has been an inspiration for many years. The Beckhams have given much to charities which is often overlooked. He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but in recent years has received coaching in the skills of public speaking and is far from being as inarticulate as he once was. He has always said that all he could do was play football, he has never presented himself from being anything else and in a time when Broadcasters, Pop stars and racing drivers receive the touch of the royal sword deserves the same recognition. His tenure in the U.S is a brief interlude he is a Brit. who is following in the path of many who have felt the need to move away from country to continue his career and when his country has called him back he has never failed to respond. Of all of his trophies and accolades I'm sure a Knighthood for his footballing achievements would be his most treasured procession
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Graham

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
has earned more revenue for the UK than any other citizen.

Langstraat, this I doubt very much!

All the other things that you say maybe true, I'm just saying that it's a sorry thing that a person has to be judged by how much revenue he has created, even if he is a good footballer, or even how much of it he has given to charity. If I give £20 to the Red Cross collector outside our supermarket, I'm probably giving just as much in % of my income as Beckham does! Think about that. I know people who would give their last penny, or even put themselves in debt, for someone in need, without a single thought of a title, do you think that the Beckham's would go that far?

As for any title in Britain you only have to look at the "Peers" that are known to have bought their peerage. They not only have to create a lot of revenue, but they have had to lay money on the table as well. How many penniless people have been knighted in the UK? Any honour or title should not tainted by a price tag, otherwise, in my opinion it's worthless.

john2000

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
Right on Graham, and to give a peerage to a person ( who I think) brought England almost to her knees, and then made her a Baroness, but people have short memories, I'll wave my flag,...... but not for her,  >:(
I see Paul Danels, is still in the country, I remember him on the TV saying, ha, if Labour gets in, I'll leave the country, ( ha, he never did,) ???
and to think Teflon tony will be made a knight of the realm, or maybe he and old George will write a Science fiction, ? called,  "how we made a better world".
Knighthoods, ain't worth the paper they are written on,.....John 2000.

frederick

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:14:36 PM »
i agree thay are not worth the paper thay written on but what can we do   ???   ???
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Bannion

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »
My father always told me that religion and politics always lead to disputes.
People do have short memories but some have longer memories and recall days when the unions ran the land and how the country was a laughing stock of Europe.  Things did change and we earned our respect back but then, as in all things, the wheel turns full circle and power begats more power and the rot starts off.

There are people for whom I too wonder why they received their knighthoods and honours but this is what I simply accept as a means of showing appreciation at the persons endeavours be it in sport, business or politics.
I hope we do not turn into a totalitarian state where such things are denied.  Even though the trends recently have shown the start of leanings towards it.

No personally I say give Beckham a honour, whatever it may be deemed suitable, for he has, like other sporting personalities, achieved in life that what many of us may wish for, but for the lack of commitment.            

Langstraat

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »
Well this is where we differ, and there's no problem with that. I'm a loyal citizen to the monarchy.
 I, like many others have sworn allegiance to the crown and will uphold its wishes; and if it is decided that the Beckhams or any others deserve a peerage then so be it; who I am I to question the merits of one against another. I know of others who have received acknowledgement for their services to the crown and country. My Father and Mother in-law have their medals and royal scrolls for their work in industry and they are 'common' folk who deligently worked hard. The fact is that there are many more low profile people who are acknowledged than celebrities but they are not so media worthy. Each year thousands are invited to Royal garden parties where they receive acknowledgement.

No doubt I may be in the minority with my views on this forum but I'm fully aware of the 'spin' which is  attached by the left wing press to the 'Honours for cash issue. They do this country a disservice and damage our reputation abroad more so than any other. They deride the decisions of our elected government and spread anarchy on almost every page. I wasn't aware that the we were entering into a discussion about how much the Beckhams have given to charity the point i made was that they have done much charitable work and that it was often overlooked.
While we're on the subject and to clearly nail my colours to the wall. It is customary for all former Prime Minsters to be honoured regardless of their political affiliation. Margret Thatcher was our greatest leader since Churchill. if you were to server my arm you would find Maggie written through it like in a stick of Blackpool Rock.    

A point which is often overlooked is that a selection boards sits and chooses those who are to be honoured. This committee is made up of fellow citizens not of Lords and Ladies. It's a democratic process, not elitist and an indication of the society which we are part of.  

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

frederick

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
i think that celebrities are pointed in the direction of charitys to give them selves a good image a lot of them are right toe rags at hart, keep the money coming   ???
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy