Author Topic: perrybar speedway  (Read 3936 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
perrybar speedway
« on: June 04, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »
does any one remember perrybar speedway when it first opened as a speedway and how long it was a speedway and was it cradlyheath there first match
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

Re: perrybar speedway
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »
Sorry Roy. Not my bag and might have been before my time. However i did go to speedway once in the 1970,s. Think it was blackcountry and one guy was called superglue, coz he needed it to keep him in the saddle. ;D

batucada

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »
I met Phil Mountford the other day who I believe used to run Bham Speedway and actually became the England team manager. He's now selling property in Spain.

Mikey

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:53 AM »
Spent many happy Saturday evening at Perry Barr in the 50s and early 60s watching guys like Graham Warren, Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger (whose a NZer incidentally, now living on the Gold Coast in Queensland). Wasn't he the guy who after winning the world champs for the 3rd time was presented with his bike all cleaned up and gold-plated? I wonder what happened to my red and yellow scarf!
I am not young enough to know everything

mazbeth

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:54:48 PM »
My dad used to go down there on St. John Ambulance brigade duty...
he took my younger brother sometimes who got Ole Olson's autograph.

Dad used to have bikes when he was younger.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Oscar

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »
I used to go to Perry Barr and Wolverhampton Speedway during the racing seasion. I sawIvan Mauger win may times he was great. I read on Wiki about the buisness men who promised to have his Bike gold plated. he got an OBE and an MBE . Perry barr was a good night out as long as you stayed away from the bends. I think it was at there that I had my first taste of jellied eels.
My neice had her thirtieth birthday party at the greyhound stadium which is now across the road from the speedway it was Birchfield Harriers before they moved to Alexandria stadium.
I used to train at  BH when I was at school as a schoolboy athlete. I once trained with Robby Brightwell.
Great Times. Is it still going? 

Mikey

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
Oscar, when you were at Birchfield Harriers did you know a bloke named Bill Darrigan?
I am not young enough to know everything

Oscar

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »
 Mikey the names not familiar.
I was an athlete and represented the county at under 16's level.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy