Author Topic: help please.. where is this photo exactly in bordesley  (Read 8426 times)

AndyPandy

Re: help please.. where is this photo exactly in bordesley
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
Hello.  I lived at the shop next to the tattoo artists from 1960 to 1971.  My parents ran the newsagents, Baxters mentioned on the trade list.  209 Camp Hill.

countrylad

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
Gee Gee

This 1970's OS map shows the corner. It shows in fact Dowding & Mills factory running off Camp Hill and the rear of it on Coventry Road with room enough for car parking. In reality Bedford Rd is quite a way from the corner.

Phil
his is where I remember Dowding and Mills. I worked at a small workshop just up from the Sportsman Pub, Garrison Lane, late 70's. We would do damage repairs to their firms vehicles and I remember delivering them back to the firm to the front of the site on Camp Hill. They had a small parking area on the front. 

Spud

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 06:31:43 PM »
If you look at Google Earth the Dowding & Mills building it is still there although it is now Sulzer Dowding & Mills. The photo in question definitely the junction of Coventry Road High St Bordesley/ Camp Hill.
 Sulzer Dowding & Mills address is 193 Camp Hill and almost certainly since the photo was taken the road has been widened
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

countrylad

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
Spud, I don't think I would recognise the areas these days, and yet I knew all the rat runs in the old days, so many changes.....

Spud

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
CL

That particular junction really has not changed that much. The Dowding & Mills Building in the Photo still stands as does Bordesley Railway Station and Bridge. Although the Station only tends to be used on Match Days at St Andrews. My Mother and Dad grew up in the area and my Granparents lived in a Back to Back house a little more than a goal kick away from St Andrews and for my sins I held a Season Ticket at St Andrews and in fact I am a distant cousin of the old Blues Player  Gary Pendrey [My Grandmother maiden name was Pendrey]
Kindest Regards Spud [JT]
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

countrylad

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
Spud, good to know some things don't change. I remember the area well, more so Garrison Lane. Me and my mate were really struggling to pay the rent on the workshop each week. £50 a week in 1976. But some of the folks around there at the time were destitute. I remember on several occasions a young guy would come in trying to sell us a piece of furniture so they could eat that day. Or they guy that came in the workshop and asked if I could weld the ironing board as it had broken. Of course I welded the ironing board. But there was no way I could take money off him. Mind you, he could be a millionaire by now....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy