Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 58986 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
Malc

I remember those maisonettes being built, I used to play on the bomb site as a kid and used to use it for a short cut to Long Street. I lived at No 17 Larches Street which was one house up from Larches Passage. Later when they demolished our end of the street my Grandmother moved into one the ground floor maisonettes and a little later my Aunt moved in to the one next door.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
Phil.

My mate lived in the upstairs maisonette. the end nearest your end. When you lived at #17 did you know the Burbidge Family, a bit further up, not far from the pub?  Clifford married the younger daughter, Marguerite.  They parted some years ago, now.
                                                                                                         Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
Malc

This is way off  topic now, I'll continue this on the Sparkbrook thread.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gordeedoo

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
"We are Mastermen Mariners, fearless and free. Scum of the earth but the salt of the sea. The toughest collection of men you will see. The crew of the Belphegor."
Yes, I was one of the crew!! I was in Charlie Walker's wonderful choir and appeared in a couple of operettas. I also sang with the choir on several occasions. It was a great sound, thanks to the musical genius of Mr.Walker. I remember doing Handl's Messiah. Absolutely wonderful!!
I wish there were recordings of it.
I also appeared as a cherub in an operetta about Roman gods I believe. All great fun and great memories.

Also, thanks to this forum, I received a message today from a school buddy that I was very good friends with almost 50 years ago now. What a great day I've had. He sent me his number so I called him and we had a very nice chat. I am in Southern California now and he is in the UK but we are hoping to meet up sometime in the future.
Thanks Birmingham Forum

Gordon

daverock

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
hi
I yesterday passed on to Colin Nicholls some 78rpm records of a couple of the Waverley Operas which he is going to convert to cd, he already has done Mrs Ffecund from a recording made by his wife Yvonne.
Have you looked on facebook at the waverley Grammar school page?
Cheers
Dave,
[size=78%] [/size]

Gordeedoo

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dave. I refuse to sign up for Facebook or Twitter etc. So no I won't be looking at that page.
I'd like to hear when the CDs are done though and if copies are available to buy.

Gordon

daverock

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
Hi
Sorry but if you let me have your E mail address & I will keep you fed with info about the operas. Did you know the school was closing & moving again?
Cheers
Dave

Gordeedoo

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
Thanks to this forum, I have just spent the most amazing week with my old school pal from Waverley, Steve.  He spotted one of my posts on here and put 2 and 2 together and contacted me. That was September 9th. We were very good friends back in the day at Waverley, spending lots of time together at each others' houses listening to music and stuff. We hadn't seen each other since 1966! In just a few short weeks, we had exchanged e-mails and chatted on Skype and he came out here to California from the UK to hook up again. Absolutely fantastic! The stuff you read about. We had a great time and got along as if we'd never lost touch all those years ago.

So thanks a million, Birmingham Forum.  I now have a really good friend back in my life and its good!

daverock

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
Hi we have just come back from California driving down from SF to San Diego, so where do you live in CA?
Cheers
Dave

Gordeedoo

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
Hey Dave,

I live in Palmdale just north of Los Angeles in the High Desert. Hopefully not for too much longer. I came here as my daughter and family are in this area but i want to move back south where I spent many years around Hollywood.
Shame I didn't know you were here, I would have asked you to stop by on your way down.

Gordon

Frankc

Re: Waverley Grammar School Operas
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
I dug these programs out of my old files. They are not in the best condition and I had to shrink them down to fit the forum limits..
I can e-mail or Dropbox the original scan files if anyone is interested.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy