Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 58994 times)

daverock

Waverley Grammar School
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
Hi anyone on the forum go to Waverley Grammar before it moved to Hobmoor Rd.
I was there from 1955-60 7 would like to hear from anyone who was at the school.
Cheers
Dave

Gordeedoo

Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:03:04 AM »
Hey Dave,

Yes I went to Waverley. Started at Camp Hill in 1961. Then went to Waverley/Byron Road and finally the new school for lower sixth. I missed out a year as I was in the 'fast stream'.  I did the hat trick!!
Got my O levels but left after one year of A level to go to work and earn some money.
I was in Talisman house and was a sprinter. Not a chance these days  ???

I have some good memories of the old school though. I now live in California USA (the second time around) I moved here in 1975 then back to UK in 1990 then to Greece in 2002 until coming 'home' to the USA in 2010

Gordon

daverock

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:27 AM »
Hi
glad to see your reply, I am the guy who has the school archive in my possession, I have lots of memorabilia dating from 1929 to the 70s.
Where in California do you live, where were you born etc, you can contact me through the site & when you achieve personal message status I will be able to give you more info.
Do you ever get back to the UK as I still meet up with old pupils every couple of months.
If you are on friends reunited so am I you can find me in 1960 leavers.
Look forward to hearing from you
cheers
Dave

jackofthehump

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
Hi, Dave,

Remember me?  Not seen you since the reunion a few years back.  Hope you are still as fit as you were then.

I am trying to compile a collection of the Waverley operas before we old timers have forgotten everything about them and the libretti and music die with us.  I have recently re-established contact with Elizabeth Horton (Hortensia Golightly in 'Bolt of the Belphegor and other parts) and she has sent me the libretti of 'Bolt' and 'Andrew Jolliboys'.  I have a 78rpm recording of a couple of songs from 'Robin Hood' and an alnost complete tape recording of 'Mrs ffecund'.  I can remember none of the songs I sang but could reconstruct a couple of songs that other people sang.

As Chief Spider at the centre of the net, could you help, please?  I have tried to find the Old Waverleians website but without success and have tried to contact carolandroy@freeserve but the address is obsolete.  I have only one other contact, Bernard Harris, who is a musician and whose memory may well be better than mine.  However, I am banking on other people who were around at the time having old scores or scripts tucked away in the attic or fond memories of the words and music that can be pasted together, jigsaw fashion.

It would be a pity if the work of Messrs Barnes and Walker were forgotten.  It would be nice if I could contact their descendants for material and to get their approval.  Have you or your contacts got any link with them?

All the best,

Colin Nichols

daverock

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
Hi
I can do better than to give you contacts as I have in my possession several librettos which I collected from mr Barnes widow a couple of years ago. I rescued them before they were thrown away along with a lot of Mr Barnes stuff like programmes photos etc.
Can you contact me on [email protected] & we can discuss this further.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Kenneth G Adams

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
Kenneth Adams, very interested in anything available on the Operas . i started as a Witch in Boult... was then ill and returned to become Sheriff in the 2nd production, Sir Ivory Towers in Mrs Ffecund, Andrew Joliboy in 2nd production etc etc. The idea that a recording of Mrs Ffecund exists is mind blowing and I would be desperate to get a copy. I hve many of the programmesw etc and have sent copies + newspaper cuttings to an interested OB. I gather that all the music and libretti were lost when a car was stollen. Anyone who can help can contact i assume through this forum. Living in hope. kenneth

daverock

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
Hi Kenneth
I have a lot of info on the school. I am in contact with Colin NIcholls & can you let me have your E mail address or are you on facebook as I have started a Waverley site.
Cheers
Dave
ps I cannot contact you direct as you haven't made enough posts

jackofthehump

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
Hi, Dave and everyone else,

I am still collecting  and transcribing Waverley opera material that I shall be happy to upload to the site.  However, I would first like to contact Sally, Mr Walker's daughter, and, if possible, Mr Barnes's son to see whether they have any view on making it all public. Could you or anyone else out there tell me where they are?

I was particularly interested to see the note from Kenneth Adams.  The tape recording that I have of Mrs ffecund was made by my then girlfriend, Yvonne, (now my wife for the last 52 years) with a microphone dangling out of the window of room 1J into the hall.  It was introduced by a short announcement from, guess who, Adams junior.  So I would be pleased to send him a copy if i could find some way of transcribing my cassette tape to CD or DVD.  Of course, Ken, if you have a cassette player I could send you a copy of the tape.  Quality is poor, as you would expectg given the environment and state of the art at that time but the words and music are clear enough to bring back fond memories 

I would be most grateful if everyone who remembers any of the songs or dialogue could jot them down and send them to me. You can get in touch with me through Dave.

Colin Nichols

cocacolakid

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
Hi anyone on the forum go to Waverley Grammar before it moved to Hobmoor Rd.
I was there from 1955-60 7 would like to hear from anyone who was at the school.
Cheers
Dave
[/quote

Dave.

Below is a picture of a friend of mine, His name is Clifford Johnson. He went to Waverley Grammer school.
Late 50s early 60s . He is seen here on my Dawes double blue bike, in Larches St, where he lived.             Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »

I don't know the lad in the photo, but I do know those houses, one of our little crew lived in one of those I'm sure Ernie Smith he lived at the bottom end of Larches St on the left hand side. I think they were the only houses in the road with front gardens.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »

I don't know the lad in the photo, but I do know those houses, one of our little crew lived in one of those I'm sure Ernie Smith he lived at the bottom end of Larches St on the left hand side. I think they were the only houses in the road with front gardens.
Phil.

The lad in the picture lived in one of the maisonettes opposite Larches passage, I'm sure you remember them, they stood out from the old houses.  I am not sure why we would be down your end of the street, when I took the picture. I was thinking it was just down from where he lived, however, now you mention it, I don't think the houses by him had front gardens. so you must be right. I spent a lot of time in Larches St, and Larches passage, I had friends there, but you would remember detail, better than me, as you lived there.
                                                                                                 Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy