Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 58984 times)

daverock

Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
Hi I am trying to establish when the "new" school was opened on the Hobmoor Road site but I need a very quick answer, someone must know. The school are not sure & have asked me if I can find out for them.
Thanks
Dave

Ann Edwards

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
I was at Waverley Grammar School from 1951 to 1956.  I was in one of the magic operas. We didn't know how lucky we were to have Mr Barnes and Mr Walker.  I went on to join a Gilbert and Sullivan group that met at the ICI works,  with my boyfriend who is now my husband of 51 years.  all a long time ago.

daverock

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
Hi Ann
I have a lot of info on the operas or rather at the moment Colin Nicholls has to try & recreate them as they were.
There is a large reunion at the "new" school in Hobmoor Road tomorrow & Colin is going to be there & we are also going to sing the school hymn which has been lost to the present school.
Which of the operas were you in & was Edwards your maiden name & what is your husbands name as I will tell Colin.
cheers

Ann Edwards

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 11:20:44 PM »
Hi. My maiden name was Lockley.  I was in the opera about Amazons.  All I can really remember is the words of the opening chorus which was  - Amazons arise and vindicate your sex. -  I used to sing it at home and my parents though I was singing "Indicate your sex".  I think they were a bit concerned !!  I would love to come to the reunion but we live in the south and have no contacts left in Birmingham.  It's nice to hear about he old school though.  My husband didn't go to Waverley. 

Shirley S

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
Hi when did you go to Waverly Grammar?  My Mom went there in the 1940s.  Her name is Edna Granger.

daverock

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
Hi I have lost the 2  Waverley centenary books from my archive, it was in 1992 & contains a lot of useful info for me, if anyone out there has them could I borrow them to copy or would they be prepared to donate them to my archive of the school please. Thanks

daverock

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
hi firstly I have recovered my missing books.
There is a story that a time capsule placed in the school area at Hobmoor road site, if anyone knows where it is located please contact me.
Cheers

mzerod

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
hi firstly I have recovered my missing books.
There is a story that a time capsule placed in the school area at Hobmoor road site, if anyone knows where it is located please contact me.
Cheers

NOt sure if you meant the hobmoor school site itself, but I remember burying a capsule at Hobmoor school, located in the grassy ground between the greenhouse and the first portable classroom building. At the time I was there, this was Mr Brainch's classroom. At the side of it was a grassy area with a greenhouse. The entire site is demolished now, and I haven't heard anything else about it either. This was in the 80s.

bilbo46

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
I was at Waverley '57-'62;was in Redgauntlet House & in G form when I left with 5 scraped 'O' levels .Hobmoor Road was the school sports ground during this period.I believe the new school was opened in '64.

gravon42

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Just found this!! I passed the 11 plus, and went to Queensbridge Grammar School in Kings Heath.  I transferred
to Waverley from 1955-59.  Headmaster was Mr Hill.  Remember Mr.Barnes and Mr. Walker very well!

I am Graham Williams, and was in the same class (2B ?) as ;
Jack Williams................... same birthday as me.
Christine Hemming...............there were 3 of them.
Ann King............................my first ever kiss!
Roger Tatum......................kept spoiling the school photo by moving to the other end.
Lesley Hearn....................ooohh! I loved her! beautiful blonde.
Brian Turberfield....................??

Mr Williams , the woodwork teacher.   I built a canoe for the school,which was used in Small Heath park pool. I
was the only one allowed in who could not swim!

I also made and painted scenery and dragons heads for the plays.  Twelfth Night, I think. I also remember
Andrew Jolliboys, but looking at the programme on an earlier page it looks like 1952.  My name may be on
the back of the programme.

One life - live it!

gravon42

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
Forgot to add,I was in Red Gauntlet!
One life - live it!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy