Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 59000 times)

planetmalc

Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »

Hi Maggie W.

I am also trying to find out some information about my father's youth too. (Sadly also deceased). If you get a response to your question would you be able to share any information you get with me?

kind regards
Chris Michael (son of the late Michael Michael, at Waverly from about 1951 or 1952 I think as he was born in 1941)

My brother-in-law started at Waverley in 1951; I'll ask him if he remembers Michael Michael (but I think your dad may have been in the year below him).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

mechris3

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:31 PM »

My brother-in-law started at Waverley in 1951; I'll ask him if he remembers Michael Michael (but I think your dad may have been in the year below him).

Thank you so much. He was born in April 1941, so I guess it was probably 1952 he was in.

Crooner

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
I attended WGS between 1961 and 1965. I was in Ivanhoe house. I was in the school choir and took part in the opera Jupiter Rejuvenatus (or There's Life In The Old God Yet). Would love to know if anyone still has a copy of the programme.  Great memories.
Trevor Stokes

terryblue

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
Hi

Just joined the forum and noticed the Waverley link. I moved from Chandos Rd to Waverley in '61 and finished in '67. Started at Camp Hill, moved to Small Heath and completed 6th form at Hobmoor Rd.(Skipped the 5th year as I was in the fast stream)
Was in Pirates. Played for the school football team and recognised a name in a post from someone else - the name was Stephen Perrin, I recall he moved from Kings Norton Grammar and joined our school as probably the 2nd best player after Ray South.
Other names I recall from my forms were Hopton Brown, Corbett, Trinder (who I meet at the airport about 30 years ago), Gordon Rowley (lived just round the corner from me) and the only girl I remember was Carolyn Overton who I had to sit next to and teased me all the time.

RICHARD D

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just joined the Varna Rd forum(i was born in Balsall Heath) and spotted Waverley Grammar chat. I joined in 61 to 67.Upton,Trinder,Gordon Rowley were names I remember well.I kept in touch with a few old school friends thru Friends Reunited site but its closed down.
I played football and cricket for the school but especially  remember my Coronation League football team Phoenix City ,run by Mr Ansell.
It was basically all of the school team including Cookie,Andy Adler,Mark Ansell and occasionally Bob South.Great memories riding in a battered old van with holes in the floor.

terryblue

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
Hi Richard D

You were obviously a few years in front of me. Bob South was Ray's older brother, Cookie went on to play for Wolves and his younger brother was in the year below me. Mark Ansell played for the Villa before moving to South Africa and that team was the one that won the top trophy for schools -the Villa Cup at Villa Park.

RICHARD D

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »
Hi terryblue
Ray was older than Bob.I was in Bobs year.
Barrie Ansell played for the Villa and became a well known  horse trainer in Cape Town.
Dave Cook played for the Wolves and Peter(his younger bro) ,Bob and Mark played in our school team with Tony Pugh ,Les Westwood,Andy Adler etc
So,I think you were there before me?

You were obviously a few years in front of me. Bob South was Ray's older brother, Cookie went on to play for Wolves and his younger brother was in the year below me. Mark Ansell played for the Villa before moving to South Africa and that team was the one that won the top trophy for schools -the Villa Cup at Villa Park.

Ogri

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:25 PM »
If i remember correctly waverley rd school was used as an anex to Hall green tech colege in the late 60s .

terryblue

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
Hi again Richard

I think we must have been in the same year and the same team - I have got the South brothers the wrong way round and I recognise some of the names - wasn't Pugh our goalie - there was also my fellow Pirate house mate Corbett and another name I recall was Combellack. My name is Terry Smith.

Hi terryblue
Ray was older than Bob.I was in Bobs year.
Barrie Ansell played for the Villa and became a well known  horse trainer in Cape Town.
Dave Cook played for the Wolves and Peter(his younger bro) ,Bob and Mark played in our school team with Tony Pugh ,Les Westwood,Andy Adler etc
So,I think you were there before me?

Cuddly

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
I was at WGS between 1957 - 1964. I well remember the team that won the cup 50 years ago at St. Andrews. I still see Keith Rowbotham  occasionally - he was  a couple of years below me.The team recently held a 50 year anniversary reunion.
I was in Redgauntlet & left after the 6th form. I didn't go to Uni but went on to qualify as a Solicitor.
I now live in Sutton Coldfield having lived in Hob Moor Road when I attended WGS.
Keith Dudley

planetmalc

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

Sorry for the late reply but I couldn't find the thread that your query appeared on. :-[      My brother-in-law DOES remember your father (because of his unusual name) and also recalls that he had a sister who was in the year above your dad (i.e. same year as my brother-in-law).     Unfortunately, he has no information about your dad's prior schooling.   
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy