Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 59165 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
St Pauls Road is the Balsall Heath area, but sorry the Weeks's that I knew came from in the Sparkbrook area and although St Pauls Rd was nearby none of the family I knew came from that road, though I suppose it is possible they could have originally. Anyway none that I knew had a sister or daughter by the name of Valerie as far as I recall. Though I would advise giving as much information as you can or that you can remember if you are ever going to trace this lady.

I would also remind anybody replying to Trevor with any current personal information on the person he is looking for such as current address or phone number then please do it via the messaging system.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bobrob

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »

terryblue
[/color]
  [/color]February 04, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »[/font]    -    …. as probably the 2nd best player after Ray South.[/font]
That would be Bob South ......... Ray South left Waverley in 1964 and it was Bob South that was in the same year as the lads mentioned, Hopton etc. [/font]
 RICHARD D[/font][/color]  [/font][/color]February 12, 2016, 02:36:09 PM [/font]……  especially  remember my Coronation League football team Phoenix City[/font] That would be Ray South …….. Unless it’s my age,I never played for Phoenix and although I did know them, Dave Cooke etc  were in my brothers year [/font] terryblue[/font][/color]   [/font][/color] February 12, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »[/font]   ……   Bob South was Ray's older brother[/font] Bob South was Ray’s younger brother which appears to be where the confusion has arisen. Although we look amazingly alike nowadays , we looked nothing alike then. I was the good looking one with the ‘blond’ cropped hair.[/font][/font][/color]  [/font][/color] Sorry Terryblue and Richard D  I wrote all the above before reading the later corrections but thought I might as well post it anyway . However , it’s good to see my name in the posts even if mistaken for  my brother initially[/color]

Bobrob

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »
Hi, sorry that's all a bit of mess but I have no idea how to reply to a specific post. Hope you can understand it , although it may take a while

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
Hi Bobrob

Welcome to the forum, don't worry about getting things right as we all have to learn and we all make errors at first.  The best way to reply to a specific post is to scroll back to that post and click on the quote button to the top right of the post which will bring a reply box up with the quote included. Just make sure your reply starts after the last quote indicator [/quote] or else your reply will become part of the quote
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bobrob

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »
Hi Bobrob

Welcome to the forum, don't worry about getting things right as we all have to learn and we all make errors at first.  The best way to reply to a specific post is to scroll back to that post and click on the quote button to the top right of the post which will bring a reply box up with the quote included. Just make sure your reply starts after the last quote indicator  or else your reply will become part of the quote
Hi, how do you access the photos on 'Phil's photo index' ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2017, 04:57:30 PM »
Bobrob

Unfortunately it has been a while since I last updated the index, so for entries 1 - 1158 you will have to visit the thread here,
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2050.msg55090#msg55090
where you will need to look up the reply number manually, but posts from 1158 onwards can be accessed by clicking on the underscored section of the entry and you will be taken to the post containing the photo described.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
Some more photos sent to me by "cmac", this time they are of Waverley Grammar. The only information I have is what is printed below each photograph.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bobrob

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Hi

Just joined the forum and noticed the Waverley link. I moved from Chandos Rd to Waverley in '61 and finished in '67. Started at Camp Hill, moved to Small Heath and completed 6th form at Hobmoor Rd.(Skipped the 5th year as I was in the fast stream)
Was in Pirates. Played for the school football team and recognised a name in a post from someone else - the name was Stephen Perrin, I recall he moved from Kings Norton Grammar and joined our school as probably the 2nd best player after Ray South.
Other names I recall from my forms were Hopton Brown, Corbett, Trinder (who I meet at the airport about 30 years ago), Gordon Rowley (lived just round the corner from me) and the only girl I remember was Carolyn Overton who I had to sit next to and teased me all the time.
That would be Bob South ......... Ray South left Waverley in 1964 and it was Bob South that was in the same year as the lads mentioned, Hopton etc. [/size][/font]

Bobrob

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
Hi everyone,
Just joined the Varna Rd forum(i was born in Balsall Heath) and spotted Waverley Grammar chat. I joined in 61 to 67.Upton,Trinder,Gordon Rowley were names I remember well.I kept in touch with a few old school friends thru Friends Reunited site but its closed down.
I played football and cricket for the school but especially  remember my Coronation League football team Phoenix City ,run by Mr Ansell.
It was basically all of the school team including Cookie,Andy Adler,Mark Ansell and occasionally Bob South.Great memories riding in a battered old van with holes in the floor.
That would be Ray South …….. Unless it’s my age,I never played for Phoenix and although I did know them, Dave Cooke etc  were in my brothers year [/font]

Bobrob

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »
Hi Richard D

You were obviously a few years in front of me. Bob South was Ray's older brother, Cookie went on to play for Wolves and his younger brother was in the year below me. Mark Ansell played for the Villa before moving to South Africa and that team was the one that won the top trophy for schools -the Villa Cup at Villa Park.
Bob South was Ray’s younger brother which appears to be where the confusion has arisen. Although we look amazingly alike nowadays , we looked nothing alike then. I was the good looking one with the ‘blond’ cropped hair.[/font][/font][/color]

Bobrob

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »
Hi terryblue
Ray was older than Bob.I was in Bobs year.
Barrie Ansell played for the Villa and became a well known  horse trainer in Cape Town.
Dave Cook played for the Wolves and Peter(his younger bro) ,Bob and Mark played in our school team with Tony Pugh ,Les Westwood,Andy Adler etc
So,I think you were there before me?

You were obviously a few years in front of me. Bob South was Ray's older brother, Cookie went on to play for Wolves and his younger brother was in the year below me. Mark Ansell played for the Villa before moving to South Africa and that team was the one that won the top trophy for schools -the Villa Cup at Villa Park.
Well done lads, had every confidence we'd get there at the end of the day. [size=78%]However , it’s good to see my name in the posts even if mixed up with my brother initially. Sorry about the last 3 posts , just trying to make sense of my original post which to say the least was totally incomprehensible[/color][/size][/color]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy