Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 58988 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Just had this message posted to the "report to moderator" function obviously in error by "jocarter".

"Hi anyone on the forum go to Waverley Grammar before it moved to Hobmoor Rd.
I was there from 1955-60 7 would like to hear from anyone who was at the school.
Cheers
Dave"

Jo any messages you post using this function only get seen by the forum staff.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

DillyMay

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2018, 03:47:40 AM »
To WGSFGS and RoyRoy. Love the photo and the colour, except that Mrs Boote would never wear purple and my hair should be auburn.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »

To WGSFGS and RoyRoy. Love the photo and the colour, except that Mrs Boote would never wear purple and my hair should be auburn.

well what can I say  O0 when you have a black and white photo with hair you have dark and light so you have to take guess  and that is much the same with dress   it was a shot in the dark from my point  O0
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Cazbud

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
Hi I went to Waverley Hobmoor Road 1970 to 1974 . Red Gauntlet was my house.

Nevbrewer

« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
Hi Dave,
I was at Waverley from 1957 to 1962, the first three years at Camp Hill and the next two at Byron Road.
I well remember Mr Barnes and had parts in Midsummer Nights Dream at Camp Hill and Taming of the Shrew when at Byron Road.
I went on the school trip to Paris in 1959/60 where we stayed at the Lycee Lakanal school, a great trip!
I have lived outside Atlanta in the USA for the past 25 years though I do get to come back to the UK every couple of years to visit my children and grand kids.
Would love to hear from anyone who was at the school for the same years.

Nevbrewer

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
Sorry Dave, I forgot.  My brother Melvyn was also at the school from 1950-5

HOP1960

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:29 AM »
That would be Bob South ......... Ray South left Waverley in 1964 and it was Bob South that was in the same year as the lads mentioned, Hopton etc. [/size][/font]
Hi,I am the "Hopton" mentioned in the post! Was at WGS from 1960 - 1967, and remember Gordon Rowley, and Carolyn Overton. I started out at Camp Hill annex, and then went on to Byron Road. Interestingly enough, I happened to live in Byron Road, so, for me, it was only a short walk to school. Played football for the school team, left wing, and well remember Bob South who used to show us all up with his skills.
I formed a garage band with Gordon Rowley, who was an amazingly gifted guitar player. He played lead, while I played bass. He was, like all of us, self-taught, and was able to play almost any chord by ear. We practiced in the shed in the garden of my house. We drifted apart when I left for Uni. Last I heard, he was in Los Angeles, California.Carolyn Overton I tried to date several times! She was a really attractive sexy girl who was way ahead of all of us. Full make-up, short skirt, etc. She used to go to all the local night clubs with her much older boyfriends. Again, lost track when I left in 1967. But, unbelievably, I bumped into her at my sister's wedding in Jamaica in 2000. She had married a friend of my sister. Small world! What are the odds?I loved the school, had great times there, and met some really good people. Anyone knows what happened to Jane Cato?I am currently living in Florida, where I have been for over 20 years now. Would love to hear from others who attended the school during 1960 - 1967.

Stevep49

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
Hopton, hi...

I've just seen this and am amazed! I've been looking for old classmates but was never able to track you down. Do you remember me? Steve Perrin, sometimes known as Percy? I'm still in touch with Gordon and we've often spoken about you. I've spent a lot time of time in LA business wise and met up with him quite a few times. Sadly, he's not doing so well at the moment. We suspected that you were in Florida though were unable to find any contact details. Did we hear that you were a lawyer? [size=78%]I'm also in touch with Ann Quinn who, funnily enough, is also in Florida. I've been over to see her a couple of times as well. Other contacts I've made include John (Jinx) LLoyd. You may remember him. Sadly, another classmate I was in contact with passed away a few years ago. [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]It would be great to exchange life stories and see what happened to us both over the last 50 years. I'd be happy to give you my contact details if you wanted to do that. Let me know?[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Cheers for now...[/size]

HOP1960

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »
Wow! Hi Steve,Great to hear from you. Can hardly believe how this all came about - my sister was just browsing through the website yesterday and came across the reference to me. She called me up and told me and I went online to check it out....and here we all are!
I joined this site probably in 2013, and rarely checked in as most of the respondents were not in my year group.Since my reply I have been trying to remember other classmates. These include;"Jinx"  [couldn't remember his real name!!]Paul something [had a brother in the same class, Peter, I think]Ron CorbettCombellack
Wasn't the headmaster called Mr Shirley? And wasn't one of the teachers known as "Killer Evans", who used to prowl the hall during assembly to ensure we behaved? Good times, to be sure.
Good to hear about Gordon, and that you've been in touch with him. One of the other members of our "garage band", Kenny Hardwick, told me he used to be in contact when Gordon was in LA.

I am a biochemist, and after graduating from the University of Bradford, worked in Cambridge before Jamaica and the USA. Now semi-retired, doing the entrepreneur thing, working for myself.

Where are you living now Steve, and what have been up to?  I recall your name, but can't really picture you. Were you also part of the "Jinx" group of troublemakers!!  I, of course, had the distinction of being the only black pupil at the school, at that time. Couldn't miss me!! Ha Ha. Real trailblazer, I guess.
We really should try to contact other former classmates. Carolyn Overton, unfortunately, passed away a few years ago. We had kept in touch after our chance meeting in Jamaica.
You can reach me via gmail as HJAMES608.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Hopton

Stevep49

« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
Great. I'll mail you in due course. You can get me at my gmail address sperrin431. Cheers.

Sarah Flanagan Charlton

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »
My mum was at the school in the sixth form in about 1955, 56 or 1957...I'm trying to find out more about her...if anyone knew Shiela Flanagan I'd be so very very happy to hear from them!!!! Thank you!  Sarah

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy