Author Topic: Waverley Grammar School  (Read 58987 times)

Sarah Flanagan Charlton

Re: Waverley Grammar School
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2018, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi Ann
Did you by any chance know my mum  - Sheila Flanagan?  She was at Waverley Grammar School in 1955 to either 1956 or 57.I would love to hear from you if you did!!Thank youSarah

Bobrob

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2018, 09:47:28 PM »
Played football for the school team, left wing, and well remember Bob South who used to show us all up with his skills.

Hi Hopton, thanks for the complement. Remember you very well too. Now live in France semi-retired running a kennels and cattery, makes a change from accountancy. Used to have a school photo re 1965 on computer , obviously with you on it but lost it when changed to a new computer.... not my forte.....trying to find a replacement photo if anyone out there can help. Originally kindly sent to me by someone via 'friends reunited'  a while ago. Sorry to hear about Carolyn..... who can forget Carolyn ??? Hope you're well yourself   Regards  Bob  South

Bobrob

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:27 PM »
And wasn't one of the teachers known as "Killer Evans", who used to prowl the hall during assembly to ensure we behaved? Good times, to be sure.

Forgot .... that would be killer Wilkes, all the kids were a little scared of him but  [/size]I think his bark was bigger than his bite. He was always very good to me possibly because of the football... he was a linesman in the pro league at the time and refereed the school matches when he could[/size]

RodH

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:46 PM »
My mother Ethel Rose Smith will be 100 this year, she attended Waverley starting I guess 1930. She now suffers from Alzheimer's disease but she used to talk a lot about happy days at the school. I was wondering whether she is the oldest "survivor"? Headmaster at the time was "Pop" Whiteley. My uncle Norman Frank Smith was also at Waverley, he would have started around 1938. My mother has also said that their father Charles Smith went to Waverley but I'm not sure Waverley was around at that time? He was born in 1885.

tlittlebabs

« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
I went to WGS from 1951-56 and was in Ivanhoe House.
My name is Ted Alexander and I was in the 'S' stream. I remember quite a few of our teachers. Miss Raybould was our home room teacher and taught us French and on our trip to Paris, I recall her giving one of the Metro ticket collectors a good 'dressing down', because in true Parisian mode, he had been rude to one of our party....me! Our Woodwork teacher was Mr. Holder and he was also on the Paris trip. Of course Mr .Walker our brilliant Music teacher, who would suddenly go all jazzy on the piano. I thought Mr.Barnes was one class act..as were several others. At the time we thought differently but now I think back and appreciate how fortunate we were to have received such a good education. Mr. Edwards for Chemistry, Mr. Harrison for PT and Sports. Miss Bollan for English Lit and Language. Jimmy Wild for Math. I was rubbish in Physics and have conveniently forgotten the name of our teacher. Sorry, it wasn't his fault!
Having left school 60 years ago, several students from our WGS days, still keep in touch via email (sometimes daily) and on trips to the UK we try and hook up whilst on British soil. Ceddy White lives in British Columbia, Canada, I live in Southern California and other friends are in the Birmingham area, such as David Lovell, Dave Jacombs and Steve Healey. Alan Jones and his wife Gillian (nee Niven) live in Australia and stay in touch with David Lovell.
Remember that each week, on our Sports afternoon, we would do half of the first afternoon period (usually Scripture) and then hop on a double decker special bus, in Byron Road and travel to our Sports field in Hobmoor Road?
I have good memories of my days at Waverley and am so happy that my school friends have turned out to be such a wonderful group. I still have the class photos for 4S, 4A and 4B as well as the whole school photo from our 1st and 5th years.

Hello ealax40,  As soon as I read your 1st sentence I thought "Wow" you would be about the same age as my mother. And I remember her saying she was in Ivanhoe. As I read further, you mention others  living in B.C. Canada. Haha my Mom is there visiting her sister right now.  :D :D David Lovell :D :D Well what can I say about him. haha. I'm Facebook friends with David.  I live in Australia and had the pleasure to met Gillian and her husband about 10 years ago.[size=78%]. [/size]

There is a picture of Mom and Gillian on the sports field. I'll try and find it
     So who is my Mom?  "Doreen May"  I'm off to find the photo {the are both wearing bloomers}  lol.

tlittlebabs

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2019, 09:10:35 PM »
Hi Ann
Did you by any chance know my mum  - Sheila Flanagan?  She was at Waverley Grammar School in 1955 to either 1956 or 57.I would love to hear from you if you did!!Thank youSarah
Hi Sarah, I will ask my mother as she was certainly there then. and most likely close in age.

JANETL

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2019, 06:51:33 PM »
I have just discovered this forum. I was about to start Waverley Grammar in 1959and my next door neighbour, Mrs Weekes, gave my mum some of her daughter, Valerie's,  old uniform as she was leaving. We lived at 163 St Paul's Rd. The only other information I can give is that Valerie had a younger brother, Kenny, who was younger than me, so about 7 or 8 years younger than Valerie. I don't think he passed his 11 plus so would have probably gone to Queensbridge School.

Barbara Capp

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2020, 09:05:48 PM »
Hi I was at Waverley grammer from 1961 until 1966.  Does anyone remember me and my best friend Christine Samuels.

Bobrob

« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »
Hi Barbara, I remember both of you. I was briefly in touch with Christine , a while ago, ( on Friends Reunited, so clearly a good while ago) I lost touch with her when 'FR' finished. She was and I presume still is living in ? Auckland , New Zealand . I remember going to one of her birthday parties with  the 'Clapping song ' playing ( the memory's a strange thing) Hope you're well

Bob South

Barbara Capp

« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »
Hi  Bob,
Good to hear from you after 53 years, just by chance I'm meeting Christine on Tuesday, as she's over here at present.
Where are you living these days. I'm living in Solihull.

Bobrob

« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »
Hi, well there's a coincidence. I live in France , Villeneuve sur Lot running a Kennels and Cattery. I have recently bought a small house / gite near Limoges for when I finally retire   Best wishes to both of you  Bob 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy