Author Topic: Sweet Shop at 38 Tower Road Birmingham Abby C Cottrell  (Read 6031 times)

Goldfish

Sweet Shop at 38 Tower Road Birmingham Abby C Cottrell
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Hi there,

just wondering if anyone had memories of (or information on) a sweet shop at 38 Tower Road, Birmingham, run by Abby Cottrell.  I've found reference to it in the Kelly's Directories from 1915 through to 1934. 

Thanks Paul

mikejee

Re: Sweet Shop at 38 Tower Road Birmingham Abby C Cottrell
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:59:47 PM »
Paul
Abby Caroline Cottrell only is listed  on the electoral roll for 1920
In 1922-1930 there is also Charlotte Cottrell
In 1935 it is the Cole family

Goldfish

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:02 AM »
Thanks very much Mikejee,

That certainly backs up the Kelly's Directories. Just out of interest how did you get the information on the Register of Electors without going to the Central Library? 

Charlotte and Abby were sisters.  I've a fair amount of information on them 1911 and before and after the 1940's,addresses and so on,  even a few photos of them in their later years.  I'd love to have a better idea of how life was for them for those 20 or so years at the sweet shop.  My Nan vaguely remembers visiting them when she was a youngster in the early 30's and her dad buying her sweets.  Are ther any photos you know of, for Tower Road?

Thanks again for your help

Paul

mikejee

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »
If there are any photos about then Phil will know of them. I'm afraid I can't help. the Birmingham electoral rolls online for certain years are available from http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/SHPLoader.aspx?x=elect_birm.html&sc=1600.

Goldfish

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »
Thanks, i've had a quick look at the website, looks very interesting! I noticed Phil has an index of photos so i'll have a look into that.  Thanks again for your help.  Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
Goldfish

The photo index only relates to the Nechells, Vauxhall Dudeston and Saltley thread. I can tell you its pretty much a certainty that you won't find ant photos of Tower Rd on this site. It is Tower Rd Aston you are looking for isn't it ?

I think the only photo I have of that road is the outdoor, which I can put up if you like. but I will have a look around and see if I can come up with anything else.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:08 AM »
Thanks Phil,

i had a look through the list, a fair amount of work gone into it i imagine!  I think it must be the Tower Road in Aston, i will hopefully get a day in the Central Library this week.  I should be able to say for definate by looking through the register of electors for  38 Tower Rd.  The address came from the Kelly's Directories and it was a last minute find before the library closed the last time i was there.  The picture of the outdoor would be good if it's not too much trouble.  Cheers Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
Goldfish

Here is the photo of the outdoor on Tower rd it is a pretty common photo that is on a lot of site over the net. It's in colour on some sites, but as far as I know it's the only one of Tower Street I've seen. As I'm always on the look out I would keep looking in from time to time as you never know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Goldfish

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
That's brilliant thanks, not a picture i've seen before.  It gives me an idea of what the shop must have looked like.  If ever i manage to find any other photos of tower road you'll be the first to know.  Thanks again.  Paul

susanne06

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:44:24 AM »
I think the owners of the shop in the early 60s was mr wall is daughter queenie ran it

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:45 AM »
hi sue welcome to the forum im not from your part of brum so I do not know much about it but there are a lot of member who do so perhaps you could tell us a bit more about the place and how you know the name of the shop keeper  you might meet other members that you know roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy