Author Topic: Sweet Shop at 38 Tower Road Birmingham Abby C Cottrell  (Read 6048 times)

Kenbib

Re: Sweet Shop at 38 Tower Road Birmingham Abby C Cottrell
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »
Goldfish,
I do not remember the the outdoor but I do remember the pub on the corner of Tower Rd and Upper Sutton st I used to deliver milk Tower Rd Upper Thomas St Clifton Rd Upper Sutton st 1950-51 I do remember the bakery or cake shop in Upper Sutton St the lardy cakes were wonderful.
Ken  ::)

Jays

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »
Goldfish

The photo index only relates to the Nechells, Vauxhall Dudeston and Saltley thread. I can tell you its pretty much a certainty that you won't find ant photos of Tower Rd on this site. It is Tower Rd Aston you are looking for isn't it ?

I think the only photo I have of that road is the outdoor, which I can put up if you like. but I will have a look around and see if I can come up with anything else.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I have just seen the photograph of the outdoor in Tower Road, Aston. Do you know what number it was?

My friend lived at no. 93 and it was an outdoor but not that one. Looking at the outdoor the door was on the left and the window on the right.  The outdoor was between Potters Hill and Upper Thomas Street.

I don't know of another outdoor though I can't remember anything about Tower Road from Upper Thomas Street to Aston Cross, I rarely went down there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:46 PM »
Jays

Yes 93 was an outdoor, but there was another down past Upper Sutton Street near to Upper Thomas Street on the other side of the road at number 182 that is the one in the photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jays

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »
Jays

Yes 93 was an outdoor, but there was another down past Upper Sutton Street near to Upper Thomas Street on the other side of the road at number 182 that is the one in the photo.

Thanks Phil.,

I am seeing my old friend next week, she could not remember another one either, I'll report the completion to her :)

John Richmond

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:15 AM »
Hi

I grew up in Tower Road and the shop you refer to was known as Queeny's.
It wasn't a sweet shop, it was a grocery shop, although it did sell sweets.

My father had an account with Queeny. I used to live at the back of number 67, on the other side of the street a little further down.
So number 38 sounds about right.

I was about eight years old when I started using the shop because my mother had abandoned me and my siblings at that age.
Whenever we wanted things we used to take the little red book to Queeny and she would write everything down and my father would pay
at the end of the week.

We were always buying milk and bread from there. But Queeny tended to sell everything except the kitchen sink.
It was a regular one stop shop.

One thing I always remember was that there were two large steps up to the front door.
But maybe they weren't so big because I was small.

I Came here looking for information on the Egg factory number 65 Tower Road, but I thank you for bringing back memories I had almost forgotten.
I was one of the last to leave the street when I was in my mid teens and too young to own a camera in those days.

John

Hope this helps :-)

With Regards to the outdoor on Tower Road, I used that an awful lot too growing up.
Although I was under age I used to buy Dandelion and Burdock, Cream Soda, Vimto and Corona Orange every Friday night; along with Walkers crisps.
I had two brother and a sister; so I didn't drink it all!

Number 93 sounds right too. It was nearly half-way down the street.
I say down because we used to ride our hand made go-cart down there. The only brakes we had were the souls of our feet.
We had to be careful near the bottom in case there were cars crossing on Upper Sutton Street.

On the stretch of Tower Road we lived on (between Potters Hill and Upper Sutton Street) there were two shops (Queeny's and the outdoor), one Egg Factory number 65, and a garage at the back of number 69. The rest of the street was houses. Most of the houses behind the houses on the street were back to back and also terraced at right angles to the street.
Because of Potters Hill, the last house at the back had a sheer drop down to Park Lane. It frightened me looking over the garden fence.
Arguably you could say that the two pubs were not on Tower Street.
My father's local drinking hole was on the corner of Tower Road and Potters Hill (the name escapes me I guess it could have been the Tower Arms?), and the Swan pub on the bottom corner of the street and Upper Sutton Street.

John Richmond

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 03:04:46 AM »

Hi Jays

I have replied on this thread recently, but was totally unaware at the time that Phil had passed. So I guess no-one has read my post.
You might be interested in what I had to say.

Regards

John.

I have just seen the photograph of the outdoor in Tower Road, Aston. Do you know what number it was?

My friend lived at no. 93 and it was an outdoor but not that one. Looking at the outdoor the door was on the left and the window on the right.  The outdoor was between Potters Hill and Upper Thomas Street.

I don't know of another outdoor though I can't remember anything about Tower Road from Upper Thomas Street to Aston Cross, I rarely went down there.

Bugsymalone

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 06:43:44 PM »
I remember the sweet shop on tower rd the man behind the counter wore a white gown sweets were in jars on a shelf  o was about 7 at the time

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy