Author Topic: How safe is your area?  (Read 20287 times)

Joewoen

Re: How safe is your area?
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »
Likewise, I would never bad mouth Birmingham, except to a fellow Brummie, but I did experience quite a bit of mostly low scale crime when in Birmingham. In the mid 1980s I lived in Arden Road, Alum Rock. Our row of terrace houses were burgalled one night. Ours wasn't because I had made a dummy alarm sign and stuck it in the window. The council upgraded some of the house roofs, but not ours. Next door was done and many months later I discovered the builders had gained access to our loft and nicked stuff. I had petrol syphoned off from the car, packages stolen from the front door step.  Kids would go along all our back gates and nick stuff from our gardens. We had trucks dumping waste material on the knocked down houses at the top of the road. But the worst was our friend was groped as she walked up Arden Road past the park. But inspite of all that, I still thought it was a lovely area. We were there for 4 years.

I felt much safer there than when we stayed with a friend in Newcastle. I really thought the car would be minus wheels in the morning. Needlles to say, they weren't, so that perception was wrong.

GardenGerald

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
Hello Joe
Swansea is the place to be to lose your wheels and find the car jacked up on bricks.
Water Orton had more problems after they built Chelmsley Wood. They put an underpass from Chelmsley to Water Orton so a
brilliant escape route was built.
Sadly Birmingham is not what it used to be but people say that is progress. We used to be happy and get on together none of us had anything so were all equal.
I think people need to have eyes in front and behind to try and avoid problems.
I used to teach Horticulture in an Approved School. Re offending was less than 1% What is the rate for young Offenders institutions now.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Joewoen

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
Gerald, so you worked at a young offenders institution in horticulture?

I hope it wasn't you we borrowed a wheelbarrow from. We fully meant to return it, but time just went on.Honest!  Apologies if it was, I bet you were cursing us eh?

townie

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
Gerald you wasn't in a film called Scum was you?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

GardenGerald

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
Hello Joe
It was not the wheel barrow that caused the trouble. You left the door open and all the offenders walked out.
Lost my job and had to beg at the food centre for food for my 2 wives and 8 kids. I even dressed up as guy Fawkes till someone put a match to me.
Times was hard.
Gerald.

Abt

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »
My Dad, a police officer in Brum, took Mom to a fancy hotel in Llandudno in the 70s , he never stopped talking about how he woke on the first morning to find his car on bricks and all his wheels nicked.

Robgriff

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2016, 09:26:42 PM »
hi everyone, I moved out from brim and redditch quite some years ago,I'm now in Cornwall but even here it has its fair share of crime, it's not just brum , I love to come back now and again but love to come back to Cornwall even more.

TPT.50

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:14 AM »

Robgriff,    Oh to be in your shoe's, visiting Brum and scarpering back to Cornwall sounds like heaven to me, mind you my trips to Brum would be very brief,

For the foreseeable future,  I'm still stuck here,      Tony.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
i get in to brum at least once a month    I get the bus from Stourport  to kiddy then I get the train that takes me to snowhill or moorstreet  snow hill is the best to get off the train its a nice ride by train  and its cheap to taking in to account the cost of fuel and parking and traffic  but the question was how safe is your area  well each year my garden gets robbed  and the crooks have got four legs   is my house safe I would say no more than any one other house  but a lot more  than some only because we do not get the off chance crook but we do get cars of a night in the lane parking up but they have got other things on there minds not  house robbing ::) ::) so I would think the area I live is 95%safer than living in any big city
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Coastal

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
I lost a wheel in Brum, I worked in Miller St near the Royal Mail, one Saturday came back to the office, completed my paperwork, and went and got in my Citroen Xsara Picasso (failing to notice the missing rear o/s wheel), and pulled away, there was a bump and a bang, and owing to the slow puncture on the spare (I will get the tyre fixed) I had to wait for a flat bed tow truck to take me and my car home to Kings Heath,
I was not a happy bunny 
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Spud

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
We were burgled at home in South Birmingham some years ago. As daft as it sounds 'they' gained access through the front door using a garden cane and probably something like a Credit Card. They pushed the cane through the letter box a flicked the bolts off the top and bottom of the door and then using 'A credit card' or something similar to ease open the Yale type lock on the door. My wife's handbag was  taken together with her Bank Cards so we immediately put a stop on them. I had a rather nice jacket  and my Brief  Case taken plus a rented VHS Video Recorder/ Player. Fortunately no one was hurt and the wife's handbag and my brief case were later found on the roof of a nearby club. The Police traced the case and handbag back me when they found some correspondence from IBM in the brief at the time I was working on a IBM computer system  installation at my place of work. There is often a funny side to such incidents. I rang the people from whom we were renting the Video Player/Recorder to report the loss and the reply came 'Don't worry mate they broke in to our Ware house last night and pinched 24   Never got me Jacket back though and the Video was replace without question. Both of my daughters were living at home at the time and they and my wife were petrified about going to bed for some weeks after the incident.

As for cars being a bit of a Boy racer I had a Peugot 207 2 Ltr GTI they claimed it did 140mph and I would dispute it. Returning to the car park over Snow Hill Station I found some clever sod had pinched my spare wheel
Around 5 years ago we were in Oxford. My wife was robbed in Oxford of all places. Her bank card and a couple of store cards were lifted from her handbag she even had a little warning bell attached to the bag. Within 25 minutes £900 pounds was taken from our accounts. I don't know just how they got hold of the Pin numbers she certainly had no got them written down. The only card they could not crack was her M&S Store card records showed that they made at least 3 attempts. Her Barclaycard, Halifax Debit Card and HSBC Debit Card were somehow used to take money from our accounts. We obviously stopped the card as soon as we realised what had happened. After initially getting pretty short shrift found each of the Banks  involved I was ready to write off the loss. In fact The Halifax were quite rude to my wife, that really got my back up. So every week I wrote to each the banks in fact I made a real nuisance of my self. The is thing once you do get a reply you have a name to contact. This went on for 2 or 3 months and eventually we recovered all of the missing cash Barclays even reinbursed for the interest they had charged for the withdrawal against a Credit Card. The message if this sort of thing happens to you stick to your guns make a nuisance of yourself.
I think that our experiences prove that theft can happen anywhere not just in your home.

The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy