Author Topic: How safe is your area?  (Read 20289 times)

TPT.50

Re: How safe is your area?
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Spud,    I find that very worrying (being with Barclays) did you ever discover how they managed to withdraw money from these accounts? if so and you feel its not for certain ears, maybe a PM?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
Three scumbags robbed our village shop/post office at knifepoint last Sunday evening. It has been robbed several times over the years but the previous time was only two weeks ago. If this continues we could lose this valuable asset.

I sometimes think that Tony Martin was right when he shot two burglars in his house. If I had a gun, I would be tempted to do the same.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Coastal

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
I would be more than tempted.
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
Spud,    I find that very worrying (being with Barclays) did you ever discover how they managed to withdraw money from these accounts? if so and you feel its not for certain ears, maybe a PM?

TPT

I wouldn't worry if I were you my account at Barclays was somehow fraudulently used & abused quite how I don't know and several thousand pounds went missing luckily enough it was only our joint current account. We never knew anything about it until my wife tried to pay for her shopping at the supermarket only to be informed that her card had been blocked. It's just as well we had enough cash on us to pay the required amount.

Talking to Barclays later they apologised for not informing us what was going on and said that they had blocked our account because they has noted unusual spending patterns and were unable to contact us. They say they thought our bank details were obtained from an online transaction that we had made.

Since they guarantee that all online transactions are safe, all our missing money from our account was refunded and new account details and cards were issued to us, so apart from a little inconvenience that we suffered no harm was done.

As for burglary we have been lucky enough never to have suffered one, but there again we have always had at least one large dog which just the look of would discourage most criminals. I have only ever had one car stolen and that was because I went off and left the key in the ignition, once again luckily I got it back undamaged except for a damaged exhaust where they had shot over a speed bump at high speed and caught the exhaust I suppose this is why they dumped it because of the noise. Just as well as I don't think the insurance company would have been happy paying out, seeing as how I left the keys in it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

GardenGerald

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
Hello Phil
I had a call from the NationWide asking why I had spent so much money in a morning all on furniture to be delivered to an address in London.
I had not spent any money so had to go straight to a local branch with my bank card and hand it in. I had to give a statement to the police and Nationwide.
The account was closed but I could have some cash from the local branch, they opened and closed after a week 2 new accounts to put distance between me and the crooks.
After a further 2 weeks they opened another account and put all my money in it, this included the £9.089 that had been stolen. My wife said it all made me 20 years older.
Like you Phil I have had a car stolen in Northfield.
Take care
Gerald.

frederick

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2016, 05:44:33 PM »
Back ln the early 80s I had a tax disc taken from my car. The quarter light was smashed. The person that stole it was picked up by the Police driving along Paradise St the wrong way and the Police spotted the wrong number on the car/disc.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terry B

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
I lived in the Moseley/Hall Green area for over 25 years and we were burgled once. The problem was that we backed onto a field, giving the rogues a good getaway. They didn't take much as we weren't that well off. They left their mark though - they pooped in the garden and used a pillowcase afterwards!

I now live near Preston in a large village that doesn't have too many problems. The Lancashire Police HQ is nearby and marked cars are frequently passing, so maybe that keeps the 'bad people' away?

frederick

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »
This doesn't sound very good for Brum     :(      :o

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
What you talking about Fred? That is nothing compared to what really goes on.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

GardenGerald

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Hello My Mate Townie
Hope all is well with you.
Many places in the UK are now quite violent and I always look at the Birmingham news so some one getting shot is no surprise.
Fred we are having a lot of sheep going missing in Pembrokeshire, a lot of the ear tags are found in Birmingham. The police have been asking people to keep an eye open for late night lorry movements. I hope you are keeping your eyes open I am.
Take care Gerald.

townie

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »

Hello Gerald Some figures from the Home Office.

The Home Office figures reveal that there were 111 ‘murderous crimes’ in 2015-16 across the West Midlands, which included 30 homicides, 79 attempted murders and two conspiracies to murder. This was an increase of 39 per cent compared with the previous year.
Across the country as a whole, there has been the biggest increase in five years in homicide rates, which are up six per cent,
Cases of conspiracy to murder were up from 40 to 48, while attempted murders increased by a fifth from 567 to 677.
Who would want to live in a place like this wants their head looking :(
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy