Author Topic: How safe is your area?  (Read 20299 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: How safe is your area?
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »
Do you honestly believe these surveys Phil.Thousands of them are wrong.Aswell as forecasts.

I think I have established the fact over the years on this forum that I do not believe any survey and consider them rubbish, but the list I posted was not a survey but rather made up by numbers of crimes reported to various police authorities and then ranked from the lowest reported crimes to the highest. On this occasion Birmingham came first of all the major cities with the lowest reported crime figure per 1000 citizens.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Phil in the 80s used to deliver in Bristol a lot and Liverpool it was shocking.Dont know what they've done to make it better in these cities ,probably took all the Police from every other city an put them there
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »
I lived in Bristol for a short while in the 60's and I thought it no worse than anywhere else, the 80's was over 30 years ago we are talking about now. A couple of years back Birmingham was well down the list, now it's at the top. Lets hope it stays there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
Is it because all the Bad Boys have moved to other parts of the country.A lot must have moved down here to Kent then.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

robx52

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »
I live in Solihull albeit just inside the boundary, Elmdon,  and I just returned from holiday to read in the media that while I was away two serious incidents took place on the coventry road Sheldon by the wheat sheath. Firstly a brawl between a dozen or so grown men in broad daylight, secondly, two men on a moped fired a shotgun into a large 4x4 causing the driver to mount the curb and crash into bollards ,one of the moped riders fired another shot at the car before fleeing. This was early evening.
Welcome home.

frederick

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
The Police have said with drugs they are fighting a loosing battle and the same goes with knife and gun crime.     :(      :o      And the more our population goes up so will drug, knife and gun crime......it as become the norm.       :(      :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2018, 04:40:34 PM »
How safe is my area ? As safe as most places I suppose. I still live in Brum about 2 miles or so from the scene of this latest double murder. I was in fact just a few streets away last week visiting my Acupuncturist. Hardly gave it a thought as he pummelled my sore shoulder. All of us on this forum are Brummies at heart and most don't like to hear ill of the old place. However in the past we have had one or two who seem to revel in any bad news associated with Brum. Pity about that we all make our own beds and have to make the best of it. I have said before I have never really felt intimidated anywhere . Got the wind once in London in that underground car park in Hyde Park with the rough sleepers kipping down. As you get older I think you can get a little more intimidated. Younger we all fancied ourselves or we could turn on our heels and do one [as they say]. These days I have trouble turning over in bed ! I was out a bit late [for me any way] last week coming out of an Italian Restaurant walking home under the influence of a rather pleasant Bottle of Italian White I was surprised at the number of people White and Asians who took the trouble to wish each other good night. OK we kept to the well lit areas don't want to go out of our way looking for trouble.
I sometimes wonder with this Social Media nonsense and wall to wall news 24 hours a day do we over eggs the worst of the news.
Going back to the Solihull double murder would this have happened if our immigration laws were tougher ? Perhaps I should not really say that but it still a free country or was last time I looked.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

JudithM

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

I sometimes wonder with this Social Media nonsense and wall to wall news 24 hours a day do we over eggs the worst of the news.
Going back to the Solihull double murder would this have happened if our immigration laws were tougher ? Perhaps I should not really say that but it still a free country or was last time I looked.

As far as I can tell, this was a domestic incident - nothing to do with the nationality of either the victims or the offender.  Domestic violence, including murder, is not confined to one race - or religion.  Sure, if none of those people had come to live in the UK the murder would have happened elsewhere and wouldn't have made our headlines, but plenty of UK born & raised women are beaten and killed by their equally UK born & raised husbands, boyfriends, or ex's. 

But you are right about the media - social media & news media - they do like a scary headline & there is probably some correlation between the level of fear people have and the scaremongering headlines.  For every crime that's committed - whether it be by an immigrant or British person - there are tens of thousands or more non-crimes.  Papers don't report those, we only get to hear about the bad stuff.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy